Sea Trout.....or is it????........Rheidol - Last Night

SnapT14

Reaction score
A nice debate to start friday.....
Felt fishy yesterday so wondered out for a few casts.....

Took this on a 1" surface tube at midnight...approx 8 or 9lbs ( 73cm long )

Put up a super fight, tailwalking and cart wheeling around the pool, almost down to the backing twice.

A bit of extra drama is whilst fighting the fish I heard a plop by my feet.....

I then noticed while taking this photo that my fighting butt was missing....

Noooooooo I thought. Looked long and hard after I'd finished and found it 30 yards downstream bobbing away in some reeds.... few!

Sea trout....or Salmon. I know what I think!.... not what I would have expected on a surface lure at night ....

;)

20200619_075433.jpg

Last edited:

westie4566

Reaction score
Salmon. Not at all uncommon up here st night when chasing the seatrout. Mind you, at this time of year it's probably a good bit lighter at midnight than it is down with you..

Well done on a cracking fish!

Lurig

Reaction score
Well done Nathan & a nice Salmon.

I remember on the Spey a guy hooking a 14lb Salmon at 1 in the morning with a single hander which held up the fishing fir 3/4 of an hour before it was safely in my net.

You never know what is going to take your fly.

Tyke

Reaction score
Salmon, well done!
A couple of years ago I caught a 7 lb pike on a surface lure one dark night, that was unexpected....

Tyke.

Loxie

Reaction score
Many years ago in early May I had a 9lb ST night fishing on the Mole. I told the other rods in my then syndicate and one went out the next night. He came round in the morning claiming to have its twin, caught on a surface lure at midnight in the same pool. He plonked it on my filleting table, I had a commercial smokery at the time, in a bin bag. I could tell immediately from the shape it was a salmon. He opened the bag, I raised an eyebrow. Ah well, he said, never mind, best smoke it quickly!