sea trout info required

midgydug

Reaction score
Having a week on Waterside in mid July and was wondering the prospects of night fishing for sea trout. Any info on pools, flies, lines would be welcome

toucan

Reaction score
Prospects are reasonable. The stock of sea trout as yet is low compared with some years but there are still fresh trout arriving.

Waterside is a great sea trout beat, with the best pools Upper Bank, Bank, the Kirks and Waterside itself. There are also a few salmon about, with Waterside Pool and Bank holding a few fish. Every chance you'll pick one up fishing at night.

There are no hard and fast rules on tactics - most things work provided you fish quietly and are prepared to put in the night-time hours. You won't need anything other than a floating line though, unless the water is very high, as it is a shallow beat.

midgydug

Reaction score
Cheerz Toucan. I fished Waterside a couple of years ago in the spring in a biggish water. Fished Waterside pool both sides and the Kirk pool . I see by other reports on forum there is a bit concern for this years sea trout run which is worrying but I am really looking forward to my week and will certainly be giving it a good go. Hope I have something to report.
Thanks again

colliedog

Reaction score
Midgydug,

As Toucan says, W&F is a lovely beat and suits low water conditions.

In general, with the Dee being shallow, it is not often necessary to fish with anything other than a floater. If you are fishing right through, it is worth putting a sink tip and waddington or tube through the pools after the initial activity quietens down.

For flies - nothing revolutionary - I find silver stoat and dark mackerel in 10s and 8s to be a good bet. Squirrel blue and silver is another good one.

It is always worth having a cast in streamy waterfor an hour before darkness as the ST lying there are usually willing takers at this time. It also helps keep you off the quiet "night pools" until it is truly dark. Use a smaller (size 12) fly at this time and be sure to fish heavy enough to handle a salmon!

Hopefully July will see an improved run of sea trout - will be looking forward to a couple of trips up myself.

Regards

CD

midgydug

Reaction score
colliedog

Thanks cd for your sound advice. I certainly will be fishing right through and will give your methods a go. The sea trout reports are still pretty gloomy up and down river but I will enjoy my weekand I'll get what I get .
Good luck to you on your own trips.

Regards

Midgydug