Sea-trout in the salt

Invermarnoch

Reaction score
There are places in Scotland where you may obtain written permission to fish on the coast or in estuaries for sea-trout, and with that in mind, I have been looking at the Pattegrissen fly used by anglers in Denmark. A few months ago I was fortunate enough to acquire a Whiting Bronze Spey cape in the prescribed colour of salmon pink, and intended to tie a few for using this season (B.V. - before the virus). Then a very famous Scottish angler told me he had found them to be useless here. Has anyone else tried them, I wonder?

Sash

Reaction score
The only fly I have ever had any luck with is Falkus’ Sunk Lure. But very consistently.
I wonder if, certainly on the westerly coasts of the Briitsh Isles, we have a higher proportion of sandeels? Whereas the Danes have largely fished theirs out to feed to the pigs.

Clydebuilt

Reaction score
I haven't tried the Pattegrissen at all Invermarnoch, I did think of tying a few up for the estuary/firth but mainly down to having more faith in sandeel/baitfish/streamers/scud patterns, it's on the back burner, plus I don't have any spey hackles which look much better on the pattern than dubbing looped fur etc.

It certainly is a very popular fly in the Baltic , mostly in the pinks and tan shades.

I suppose it's all down to confidence.

One pattern which really does travel well to these shores is Allan Overgaards "Sandstorm"
Simple but very effective. One guy local to me has done very well on it over the years

It's main ingredient is grizzle craft fur, and you can obviously have as much variety as you wish but I'm told that no flash or eyes etc are needed.

Be good to see you having success if you do go down the pattegrissen route

Tightlines👍IMAG6188.jpg

LouisCha

Reaction score
There are places in Scotland where you may obtain written permission to fish on the coast or in estuaries for sea-trout, and with that in mind, I have been looking at the Pattegrissen fly used by anglers in Denmark. A few months ago I was fortunate enough to acquire a Whiting Bronze Spey cape in the prescribed colour of salmon pink, and intended to tie a few for using this season (B.V. - before the virus). Then a very famous Scottish angler told me he had found them to be useless here. Has anyone else tried them, I wonder?
Absolute nonsense! I don't believe that 'very famous scottish angler'.

Pattegrisen is an excellent fly and wherever sea trout (and or bass, pollack etc.) are hunting shrimps it will work.

If there are lots of shrimps in your area use a shrimp fly similar in size and colour (such as pattegrisen). If there are sticklebacks and gobies use a 'sand storm', if it's sandeels use a sandeel fly, if gammarus use a kobberbasen etc.

midgydug

Reaction score
successful saltwater sea trout patterns in Orkney seem to all have an orange theme to them.
Different areas will have different prey species so some top flies at one bit might not be so good at other locations.
Two estuaries near me where spinning was productive, one was better with copper lures, other one with silver, and they
wont be 5 miles apart.

Invermarnoch

Reaction score
Thank-you, gentlemen, for all your positive responses and suggestions. For family reasons I am not able to apply myself to tying flies at the moment, but should be able to resume doing so soon. Alas, I suspect that I won't get to South Uist this year because of the virus. But there's always next year and I should have plenty new flies tied by then. I do love fly-tying - it's such an innocent, satisfying pastime.

GeeBee

Reaction score
My answer is not yet.. i too am going down the pettigrissen route. Ive been wartching the baltic fishing with robert videos on youtube and a few others.

They fish a sandeel on the point and a pettigrissen on a dropper, or a scud type shrimp on the dropper.

Ive researched it and we have the same brown shrimp they do, in the same sizes - about 8cm. And the sea trout feed on them and sandeel exactly the same.

I have flatwing sandeels and olive over white clousers for the sandeels, and a dozen or so tan, white or grey n orange pettigrissen flies i bought on ebay.

So ill be fishing a river harbour, some mixed ground and some sand bars this summer and see how i get on.

I expect to catch one or two along with bass and maybe mullet. I have a couple of colin mcleods mullet patterns that ive tyed up to switch in to the dropper - mullet bach, and his silica shrimp.

mr wolf

Reaction score
stayed in loch Maddy hotel North Uist. fishing was free to guests The reception asked me to come choose from a map where I wished to fish lots of fish showing tidal pools