Sea trout fishing west coast Scotland when?

Finglas

Reaction score
Hi everyone just looking for a wee bit of advice.

I fancy trying some sea trout fishing in the sea in the west coast of Scotland.
I was wondering if anyone could give me any advice on when best to start searching for them round the coast ?

Is mid May too early yet ? Or could it be worth a shot ?

Thanks a lot and all the best.

Fruin

Reaction score
A lot of places start as early as February. It can be difficult to get them to chase a fly early in the season. As a general rule I would say as soon as the weather warms April / May.

DrPatrickT

Reaction score
Thanks a lot fruin appreciate it. Sounds like it might be worth a shot now!
Not exactly West Coast proper - but I was staying at a holiday rental in March and fly fished Loch Linnhe - plenty of small sea trout about (up to a pound) and had a couple of follows from larger fish with a spinner. So I'm assuming you'd have a decent chance now. I didn't have much luck with wet flies - so went onto full float set-up (using a 10 ft/7 wt reservoir rod) and bounced muddler minnows in the surface along the shore line. Best times were the rising tide and just after. I didn't have to be that far out - on a windy day with a choppy surf - you could see the sea trout chasing fry very close in.

Tight lines, Patrick

Reaction score
image.jpg

A wee one of 1.5lb. One of two and about 20 coalfish over 3 hours earlier in week. Oh and it was fried in butter and served with the special spices of salt and pepper. Just amazing. Might add I have the proper paperwork to fish at this not so secret location ha. Yes now is a good time for the trout. Good luck and tight lines :).

stu47

Reaction score
You can look for seatrout all year round.though starting around easter can be good

DrPatrickT

Reaction score
I'm back up West Coast/Loch Linnhe beginning of October. Does anyone know if there will still be Sea-trout knocking around then? What about 'other' species I could tempt on a fly in the coastal Lochs - are Mackerel still about or will they have moved to more favourable water with the on-set of Autumn? If so, I reckon I'll stick with stripping Muddlers or streamers unless otherwise suggested. Thanks, Patrick