904.3 KB · Views: 126

ibm59

Reaction score
Nice hooks
Which model of Ashima ?

ps Flees are good too. 👍

Slaneybs

Reaction score
Super flies - interesting that the tails are so long. in earlier times people maight have been concerned with fish nipping the tail and taking short.

wormo

Reaction score
Super flies - interesting that the tails are so long. in earlier times people maight have been concerned with fish nipping the tail and taking short.
thanks it's probably because I do mostly salmon flies

ellipse

Reaction score
A fine collection and all that one would need for a good day’s fishing!

Scierra

Reaction score
tied myself a few #10 sea trout doubles for the summer , hooks are Ashima
the usual classic patterns
Black pennel
Peter ross
Teal blue and silver
Alexandra
I have caught approx 95% seatrout on the 4 patterns you have tied , but all on single hooks ,never on doubles as I never fished them, many salmon salmon too on all of them.
All perfect original dressing ,well done

Andrew B

Reaction score
I usually start off fishing small and go bigger as summer nights get darker.

wilkinson shrimp

Reaction score
I have caught approx 95% seatrout on the 4 patterns you have tied , but all on single hooks ,never on doubles as I never fished them, many salmon salmon too on all of them.
all go to patterns for wild brownies in lochs as well

Andrew B

Reaction score
Where was it banned ?
Certainly banned from competition fishing. So I’m guessing places like Loch Leven perhaps.
Quite funny actually having this ticking time bomb of a fly that was deemed too much of a good thing lol.

I must admit though, wether that knowledge has seeped in to my brain or wether its based on my results, there’s something about that fly with the peacock herl and red that just gives me confidence lol?
Tied on tubes or small waddingtons with added JC cheeks and it’s all too much and I’m liable to be found passed out on the riverbank with flybox in hand😂

Andrew B

Reaction score

Yep there’s a lot to be said for this imo? Whilst the wee doubles look nice I’ve actually had far better results inc hook up ratio with small singles.
On the Dwyfor I’ve found the orange Dunkeld type flies to be far superior to blue and silver and yes I’ve carried out enough experiments with both on point and dropper to come to this conclusion?
Salmon and sea trout wise, the Black Pennell takes some beating and my all time favourite Sea Trout fly of all would have to be the Peter Ross.
They really knew what they were doing back then with all of these lure type patterns.

Scierra

Reaction score
Yep there’s a lot to be said for this imo? Whilst the wee doubles look nice I’ve actually had far better results inc hook up ratio with small singles.
On the Dwyfor I’ve found the orange Dunkeld type flies to be far superior to blue and silver and yes I’ve carried out enough experiments with both on point and dropper to come to this conclusion?
Salmon and sea trout wise, the Black Pennell takes some beating and my all time favourite Sea Trout fly of all would have to be the Peter Ross.
They really knew what they were doing back then with all of these lure type patterns.
I had a cascade 6 double on the point and a single Teal Blue & Silver single size 8 dropper ,one October 8/10 years ago ? when i fished a dropper and grassed 2 salmon 13 & 10 lbs on the T B & S. I very seldom fish a dropper these days . Totally agree with you on the Peter Ross and Black Pennel, These flies never donned JC or xmas tree tinsel back in the day