Sea fishing, anyone?

John Keane

Reaction score
Seems the right place to start a thread on sea fishing since it’s mostly (but not exclusively) non-fly based.

Anybody like to get out and do a bit of beach, rock or boat fishing?

I’ve done a fair bit of charter boat fishing and am getting back into beach fishing. I used to fly fish for bass but unlikely to go down that route again.

I’ve got access to decent estuary fishing in the Mersey and Dee and, with a bit of a drive, excellent beach and rock marks on the North Wales coast, Anglesey and the Llyn Peninsula.

wormo

Reaction score
Seems the right place to start a thread on sea fishing since it’s mostly (but not exclusively) non-fly based.

Anybody like to get out and do a bit of beach, rock or boat fishing?

I’ve done a fair bit of charter boat fishing and am getting back into beach fishing. I used to fly fish for bass but unlikely to go down that route again.

I’ve got access to decent estuary fishing in the Mersey and Dee and, with a bit of a drive, excellent beach and rock marks on the North Wales coast, Anglesey and the Llyn Peninsula.

I must admit I do like a bit of sea fishing , especially when I had my boat , now I just fish rock marks and beaches up here, would love a go on some of the English beaches I'm right into a utube channel called the totally awesome fishing show with Graeme pullen find him easy to watch quite funny and down to earth tactics and very informative on most aspects of fishing

John Keane

Reaction score
I must admit I do like a bit of sea fishing , especially when I had my boat , now I just fish rock marks and beaches up here, would love a go on some of the English beaches I'm right into a utube channel called the totally awesome fishing show with Graeme pullen find him easy to watch quite funny and down to earth tactics and very informative on most aspects of fishing

Do you do the Continental style of beach fishing with 15ft+ rods and fixed spool reels? I’ve always been a multiplier man for beachcasting but can see the attraction of this lighter style of fishing where long distances can be cast with a simple overhead thump.

Piker20

Reaction score
You'll probably find you achieve better with a 14ft conti rod. The 15ft plus rods are just more effort for little reward.

John Keane

Reaction score
You'll probably find you achieve better with a 14ft conti rod. The 15ft plus rods are just more effort for little reward.

Possibly size or physique could have a bearing, although it’s mostly about technique and timing. I’m thinking of a 15ft Grauvell Vertix Gamma, but my local superstore has some stunning Yuki Saiko rods, all 14ft.

Last edited:

Piker20

Reaction score
I'm 6ft and have a 15'6 rod. It's just a pain. My 14' rods are easier to use and achieve just as good a cast with a good thump.
Braid and tapered leaders make a big difference. Just avoid the rovex tapered ones they snap too easily.

John Keane

Reaction score
Cheers for that, I don’t think I’m going down the braid route, I’ll just spool up with a good quality 14lb line and a tapered leader. My local shop sells Asso stuff and there’s 5 leaders on a spool.

I recently had a great find in a Cash Generator shop - a pair of Shimano Aerlex GT8000 reels in great nick for £15 each. That reel, with a finger pick up instead of a bail arm, was the first reel I ever had for beach fishing in the early 90’s. I think they are a classic and I’m going to use one of them and put the other on eBay to more than recoup the cost.

Last edited:

Dudearoony

Reaction score
I went down the conti route last year. I've got a penn rampage conti rod think it's 15ft 9 and I love it. It casts a long way with an overhead thump is great for detecting bites and when there is a decent surf running it sits over the top of the dumpers. The reel seat is a piece of **** though, it broke after a few outings as did my penn boat rod but love the action of them both.
Haven't tried braid for beach casting yet, got a mate who always seems to have problems with it at night.

Last year I was out fly fishing for mullet at least twice a week. I am lucky enough to have an estuary creek a mile from my house and there is a magical 2-3hours on the flood where the mullet are feeding in water barely deep enough to cover their backs.

John Keane

Reaction score
Been to get new rod, didn’t go for the 15ft big, white Grauvell. Instead I bought a Yuki Saiko A5 Plus at 14ft. Very slim blank and reasonably understated graphics and whippings, Fuji rings, etc.

Line and tapered shockleaders ordered from eBay at half the cost of the superstore where I bought the rod.

Be a while before they get an outing as it’s the scratchy season when the cod, whiting and dabs clear off out of the estuaries and the summer species haven’t arrived yet. I believe the south west of Anglesey is doing well for rays, etc but that’s rock mark fishing.

Last edited:

wormo

Reaction score
Do you do the Continental style of beach fishing with 15ft+ rods and fixed spool reels? I’ve always been a multiplier man for beachcasting but can see the attraction of this lighter style of fishing where long distances can be cast with a simple overhead thump.
no just have two 4oz 12ft bass rods and two 8oz 14ft heavy ground rods , multis and fixed spool depending on situation , use 60 to 80lb right through on the rough stuff

John Keane

Reaction score
no just have two 4oz 12ft bass rods and two 8oz 14ft heavy ground rods , multis and fixed spool depending on situation , use 60 to 80lb right through on the rough stuff

That’s some serious sh!t, the most I’ve ever used is 25lb straight through!

Horses for courses, I suppose.

liphook

Reaction score
Hello JK. As you might remember from our discussions on FM I do like a bit of sea fishing. Most of it is confined to the winter months in the hope of catching a few codling. Summers are predominantly spent on the rivers with a few shore and boat sessions predominantly spent chasing bass. Last year was a bit of an exception due to the drought so the boat fishing came to the fore. I've tried the conti set up and whilst it was interesting and an easy way of fishing at distance I didn't enjoy using braided mainline in the often weedy conditions and after a while found I missed my multipliers, Zzippies, Connies and the skills I'd spent years developing. Each to their own but a bit like spinning vs fly fishing sometimes the easier option is the least satisfying

John Keane

Reaction score
Hello JK. As you might remember from our discussions on FM I do like a bit of sea fishing. Most of it is confined to the winter months in the hope of catching a few codling. Summers are predominantly spent on the rivers with a few shore and boat sessions predominantly spent chasing bass. Last year was a bit of an exception due to the drought so the boat fishing came to the fore. I've tried the conti set up and whilst it was interesting and an easy way of fishing at distance I didn't enjoy using braided mainline in the often weedy conditions and after a while found I missed my multipliers, Zzippies, Connies and the skills I'd spent years developing. Each to their own but a bit like spinning vs fly fishing sometimes the easier option is the least satisfying

I don’t intend to use braid but some decent quality low-stretch 14lb mono. I’ve spent years fishing from beaches with multipliers and 13ft rods and I’ve got an outfit with a bit of grunt in the shape of a Daiwa Wilderness 13ft and a Slosh20 for rock marks and the Mersey but I like the idea of a longer rod and lighter approach.

PS - I fly fish, never spin and I’ve always thought that using a multiplier when beachcasting involves learning a skill set and that’s what ultimately makes it more satisfying than using a fixed spool, BUT I do fancy the Conti approach on clean beaches.

Last edited: