Scourie - The Mayfly

Tyke777

Reaction score
Evening all, hope that someone can put a pal of mine in the right direction, he is thinking of heading up to Scourie for a few days, hopefully catching the May Fly hatch.
Any ideas, when and where with contacts would be good.
Many thanks
Malcolm :D

Loxie

Reaction score
Evening all, hope that someone can put a pal of mine in the right direction, he is thinking of heading up to Scourie for a few days, hopefully catching the May Fly hatch.
Many thanks

Dryfly's yer man for that.

fly guy

Reaction score
Many thanks

Bit of a hit & miss affair I'm afraid to say. Sometimes it last a day or two or an hour or two. I have seen it happen in mid March (weather allowing) and sometimes as late as May. When the first hatch happens its a sight to behold up here:D You would think its raining! We had a hatch of something between Christmas and New Year with the teperature at about 13c. The trout went mad.....two hours later nothing!

Dryfly

Reaction score
Ive fished out of scourie hotel a few times a year for over twenty years and seen mayfly in April right through to October. There's no rhyme or reason to it and there's no prolonged period like we get down here on the chalk streams. It differs day to day and loch to loch.
Any particular reason he wants to fish during the mayfly? The fishing on the scourie lochs is easy most of the time. It takes quite an effort to blank and if you've a bit of experience 100 trout days are not unusual. If he is wanting to go for the best fishing when the biggest fish are feeding then go between the 5 and 25 June. Tell him to tie on a dark sedges dry pattern for the big fish or a Peter ross and loch ordie if he wants lots of fish.
Very happy to have a chat about it.
Oh, salmon.... that's a different kettle of fish but don't doubt they are there and you don't have to pay the big money on the dionard, laxford or stack to catch them. There is a magic boulder in a great loch that's free to fish.... but that's another story...

Invermarnoch

Reaction score
Mayfly in the Highlands

I think the Green Drake is the predominant species and certainly in South Uist an endeavour was made to imitate it with the Green French Partridge John Kennedy used to tie. I remember his dressings well. The hackle underlying the partridge was a sort of sage green. I have caught sea-trout with it, both in Uist and Loch Hope. I've never tried dapping it, although it might be fun.