Scottish politics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elibank

Reaction score
Ozzy, I carefully check any facts that I post here. Thus far we have some trying to say that Norway never really benefitted from North Sea Oil and others posting infantile pictures of Nicola Sturgeon in a Nazi uniform. However, what makes this thread hypocritical and one sided is that none of the usual suspects challenge that type on nonsense. From the very first post, this was not a thread intended to discuss Scottish Politics, but has been instead a platform to vent about one political party, the SNP. I joined in the debate to hopefully restore some balance and to hopefully at least get people to look at the situation as a UK wide and Scottish Issue across all parties. Now I am only to aware of the SNP failings, just as I am of the Tory and Labour failings in the UK over the same period. That's what happens when a party moves from opposition benches to actually being in government, they get measured on their performance rather than how well they jeer at the current leaders.
With regards to the SNP trying to ally with the Germans, I do not dispute that either, but at that time the SNP were a fringe party and probably had some unsavoury characters.
However, you cannot let these comments pass without acknowledging that Churchill himself was at odds with the Government at one point because he wanted to negotiate terms with Germany. Nobody defines the Conservatives by the pro-Nazi opinions of some of their members in the past. Likewise nobody states that Labour are pr0-fascist because of Oswald Moseley. Nobody calls out the British government for their collusion with Mussolini.

In the same revelations that some in Scotland were Nazi sympathisers it was also revealed that Churchill and Field Marshall Edmund Ironside had decided that Scotland must be sacrificed to protect England at all costs. I quote "I only have the troops for the barest defence there and cannot send any of my reserves North, for that will be the thing the Germans will want me to do. I shall have screams from Scotland to go and save them, but I shall have to try to resist that, or I shall not have the people ready in the South for the main thrust. England should receive total priority for defence."

Should modern day politics be tainted by these things?
Ironside’s quote, not Churchill’s

Elibank

Reaction score
I would imaging that Churchill and his war cabinet, aided by the military, made that decision as the best course of action to take given the circumstances at the time. The quote you highlight explains that.
It’s an Ironside quote, not Churchill’s

SOS

Reaction score
Fruin
When I started this thread it was because politics was creeping into other threads like covid thread and when can we go fishing ect.
As I have got older (wiser?) I have become anti -SNP and against independence, so there was no way that I was going to praise the SNP, in fact , the very opposite and would attack and decry them at every opportunity. As the SNP are the party in power this is normal in politics and the same thing happens with the Tories and Westminster gov as the SNP do at every opportunity.
But little did I know that the normally silent majority would be so vocal and the SNP supporters would be so quiet (excluding yourself).
Is posting a picture of Sturgeon in a nazi uniform any worse than someone posting a cartoon of Bojo standing on a pile of bodies painting his flat?.
Politics is a messy nasty thing sometimes but if they put their selves up for the job they can expect to get flak and we all have the right to disagree with them and their policies, even Thatcher still gets pelters long after she died.

Fruin

Reaction score
Firstly, let's get over the "silent majority" nonsense, as if claiming one side is gentle and submissive while the other are raging antagonists. That is simply a fallacy designed to offer a false portrayal, as evidenced on this very thread!
Also, we'll have to wait and see who is in the majority after today's election.
Secondly, a picture of Nicola Sturgeon in a Nazi uniform has nothing to do with current policy or quotes, where as Bojo's financing of his flat, his financing of nanny care for his children, and the apparent quote about body's piling up are all topical and relevant.

D

Deleted member 21851

...where as Bojo's financing of his flat, his financing of nanny care for his children, and the apparent quote about body's piling up are all topical and relevant.
Why are those at all relevant to Scottish politics?
The only relevance I can see is in keeping the fires of anti English sentiment burning brightly.

SOS

Reaction score
How many Tory or Labour posters do you see on houses or cars compared to SNP or Alba? I dont think this is because they have far superior numbers dut more to do with the fact that Tory or Labour supporters are worried about getting their windows panned or their cars damaged.
Who really cares who paid for Bojos flat to be decorated whether it was himself or a donner, Bute house Sturgeons official residence has cost many times more since she took office at the taxpayer's expense.

Fruin

Reaction score
Why are those at all relevant to Scottish politics?
The only relevance I can see is in keeping the fires of anti English sentiment burning brightly.
You can take from it what you will Walleye, but as much as you keep saying it, I am in no way anti-English, no matter how often you try to play that same card. The reason that everything that happens in Westminster is relevant to Scottish Politics is because Westminster still governs Scotland. The vast majority of policy areas are still reserved to Westminster. Even if we had independence, what happens in Westminster would still be relevant, in the same way as the politics of the EU and America are still relevant to the UK.
The UK still controls the treasury that controls taxpayers cash. The UK still makes policy on most matters affecting Scotland, so, if the UK Government makes a howler of anything it has a bigger impact on Scotland than most decisions taken in Holyrood.

Auldghillie

Reaction score
How many Tory or Labour posters do you see on houses or cars compared to SNP or Alba? I dont think this is because they have far superior numbers dut more to do with the fact that Tory or Labour supporters are worried about getting their windows panned or their cars damaged.
Who really cares who paid for Bojos flat to be decorated whether it was himself or a donner, Bute house Sturgeons official residence has cost many times more since she took office at the taxpayer's expense.
If it’s not VIP then why the secrets ? That’s the point - he’s a shagger - and my old golf mate said they can’t be trusted.

Fruin

Reaction score
Well I wouldn't put an SNP or Indy sticker on my car for fear of being attacked or having the car damaged, though, I think your argument also bears no relation to reality. there is absolutely no evidence that Indy supporters go around attacking those supporting the union, apart from some dubious reports in the Express perhaps.
I may be biased here, but I do believe that there have been more threats from the unionist side. Loyalists attacking Indy supporters in George Square being a major incident. The First Minster being sent a possible letter bomb. Joanna Cherry requiring police protection.

mows

Reaction score
Because no body is going to pay for it without strings attached, and that is why Bojo is not talking.

Maybe it was a fridge company wanting Boris to advertise how they have the most comfy fridges to hide in.

It does seem strange that some one alledgedly pro the union, doesnt seem to want to contribute in the campaigning in any way what so ever!!!!

salmo76

Reaction score
Absolutely spot on SOS , I live in one of the few areas that voted to leave the UK and to display any UK symbols / flags on my car or home would be looking for trouble with a capital T , hence I haven`t seen one UK flag flying on homes nearby , posters in windows or stickers on cars ; on the other hand I regularly see Homes with Scottish flags flying and many cars still adorned with Yes stickers and other SNP paraphernalia who have no such fear.

Horsbrugh

Reaction score
Well I wouldn't put an SNP or Indy sticker on my car for fear of being attacked or having the car damaged, though, I think your argument also bears no relation to reality. there is absolutely no evidence that Indy supporters go around attacking those supporting the union, apart from some dubious reports in the Express perhaps.
I may be biased here, but I do believe that there have been more threats from the unionist side. Loyalists attacking Indy supporters in George Square being a major incident. The First Minster being sent a possible letter bomb. Joanna Cherry requiring police protection.

As far as I remember, Joanna Cherry was threatened by an SNP loyalist because she dared to speak out against the supreme leaders policy.
There are obviously some dodgy folks on either side but I don’t think there is any disputing the fact that the SNP certainly has more than its fair share of absolute screaming bampots amongst its supporters. You only need to look at some the motley crew that turn up at their “freedom marches”.

🇬🇧🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🇬🇧🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🇬🇧🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🇬🇧🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🇬🇧🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🇬🇧🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

SOS

Reaction score
There is also a fear of proud Scottish people not wanting to fly the SCOTTISH flag or wear a Scottish shirt because they have been highjacked by the nationalists, the flag belongs to Scotland, not a political party.
My brother in law was at a golf outing and wee saltire flags was used for the longest drive, nearest the hole etc, there were some grumblings amongst the players as to why they were supporting the SNP, and it had to be pointed out that it was the Scottish flag and not the SNPs.

Fruin

Reaction score
As far as I remember, Joanna Cherry was threatened by an SNP loyalist because she dared to speak out against the supreme leaders policy.
There are obviously some dodgy folks on either side but I don’t think there is any disputing the fact that the SNP certainly has more than its fair share of absolute screaming bampots amongst its supporters. You only need to look at some the motley crew that turn up at their “freedom marches”.

🇬🇧🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🇬🇧🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🇬🇧🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🇬🇧🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🇬🇧🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🇬🇧🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿
That was news to me that one. I was referring to an earlier one where she was attacked and threatened. She was also told to "Go Home" outside Westminster.
Anyway, talking about bampots, I'll leave these up for you review (what was it somebody was saying about misappropriation of flags?!)
Scottish independence supporters march through rainy Glasgow streets | UK  News | Sky News
Meet the pro-union activist who has worked for the Orange Order and denies  Jews were murdered in gas chambers | HeraldScotland
Rita Calder, Infamous Racist in Glasgow, Scotland Throwing the Hitler  Salute During Yesterday's Independence Rally, why has she not been arrested  yet? : Scotland
Dundee, Dundee, UK. 18th Aug, 2018. Members of the Unionists look onwards  at the Pro-Independence
Fate of UK hangs in balance after latest Scotland polls | Stuff.co.nz
Sky News' Kay Burley calls Yes Scotland campaigner a 'k**b' live on air |  Daily Mail Online
The Orange Order Marched to Save the Union On Saturday

Fruin

Reaction score
There is also a fear of proud Scottish people not wanting to fly the SCOTTISH flag or wear a Scottish shirt because they have been highjacked by the nationalists, the flag belongs to Scotland, not a political party.
My brother in law was at a golf outing and wee saltire flags was used for the longest drive, nearest the hole etc, there were some grumblings amongst the players as to why they were supporting the SNP, and it had to be pointed out that it was the Scottish flag and not the SNPs.
Was it a golf outing for under 5s?

salarchaser

Reaction score
That was news to me that one. I was referring to an earlier one where she was attacked and threatened. She was also told to "Go Home" outside Westminster.
Anyway, talking about bampots, I'll leave these up for you review (what was it somebody was saying about misappropriation of flags?!)
Scottish independence supporters march through rainy Glasgow streets | UK  News | Sky News
Meet the pro-union activist who has worked for the Orange Order and denies  Jews were murdered in gas chambers | HeraldScotland
Rita Calder, Infamous Racist in Glasgow, Scotland Throwing the Hitler  Salute During Yesterday's Independence Rally, why has she not been arrested  yet? : Scotland's Independence Rally, why has she not been arrested  yet? : Scotland
Dundee, Dundee, UK. 18th Aug, 2018. Members of the Unionists look onwards  at the Pro-Independence
Sky News' Kay Burley calls Yes Scotland campaigner a 'k**b' live on air |  Daily Mail Online' Kay Burley calls Yes Scotland campaigner a 'k**b' live on air |  Daily Mail Online
Ah, the union flag. Isnt the white diagonal cross representative of Scotland?
More than we got.

Horsbrugh

Reaction score

Bonito

Reaction score
Rita Calder, Infamous Racist in Glasgow, Scotland Throwing the Hitler  Salute During Yesterday's Independence Rally, why has she not been arrested  yet? : Scotland's Independence Rally, why has she not been arrested  yet? : Scotland
Sky News' Kay Burley calls Yes Scotland campaigner a 'k**b' live on air |  Daily Mail Online' Kay Burley calls Yes Scotland campaigner a 'k**b' live on air |  Daily Mail Online
Can only assume you had all thos pics stored for "future ammunition" that`s sad. If not you went googling and found them all earlier today. also sad.

Fruin

Reaction score
Can only assume you had all thos pics stored for "future ammunition" that`s sad. If not you went googling and found them all earlier today. also sad.
What is sad about it? It seems that most contributors on here think that the Unionist side is free from flag wavers, bigots, racists and loonballs. So, they do say that a picture paints a thousand words.

Fruin

Reaction score
Maybe this one is more to your liking, when Loyalists attacked a peaceful YES gathering in George Square, giving Nazi salutes and then charging in, setting off flares and attacking people regardless of age or gender...
George Square Trouble: The night our readers became reporters

D

Deleted member 21851

I love that....."No Thanks" and wearing a flag makes you a barmpot :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: reminds of a scene from Father Ted.

BTW, I am not playing any cards. I simply respond every time you resort to pointing at us across the border to try to justify your position on independence.

As I and others have said, leave the economics argument and the anti English rhetoric at the back door. Put forward a really positive case for independence, based on your rich history, fascinating culture, ancient languages, the base desire for self determination, preservation of your stunningly beautiful countryside, blah blah (all the stuff you'd expect from a SNP/Green coalition).... and at the next indyref I can guarantee Scottish independence will be a shoe in and us across the border will be applauding you, shaking hands and wishing you well.

Fruin

Reaction score
I love that....."No Thanks" and wearing a flag makes you a barmpot :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: reminds of a scene from Father Ted.

BTW, I am not playing any cards. I simply respond every time you resort to pointing at us across the border to try to justify your position on independence.

As I and others have said, leave the economics argument and the anti English rhetoric at the back door. Put forward a really positive case for independence, based on your rich history, fascinating culture, ancient languages, the base desire for self determination, preservation of your stunningly beautiful countryside, blah blah (all the stuff you'd expect from a SNP/Green coalition).... and at the next indyref I can guarantee Scottish independence will be a shoe in and us across the border will be applauding you, shaking hands and wishing you well.
So, because I am Scottish, I am not allowed to be critical of the UK Gov. I wasn't pointing the finger at you or anybody else apart from the UK Government. Get over yourself!

ozzyian

Reaction score
I can't quite believe what I'm reading here. Every sneep I know is from a lessor to a greater degree anti English. I know 2 who are basically football thugs with a side line in anti Englishness when there isn't any football on. I honestly don't think I've ever met an anti Scottish Englishman.

Auldghillie

Reaction score
I can't quite believe what I'm reading here. Every sneep I know is from a lessor to a greater degree anti English. I know 2 who are basically football thugs with a side line in anti Englishness when there isn't any football on. I honestly don't think I've ever met an anti Scottish Englishman.
Unless Rangers play in England

Status
Not open for further replies.