Scottish politics

Fruin

Reaction score
I'm not a royalist but I do have respect for anyone who loses a family member, but it seems some people rather than say nothing make a fool of themselves and their country by spouting hatred.
So, what does this tell us about Scottish politics?

Walleye

Reaction score
Has there been posts removed?

Because all I can see if members having a debate, what am I missing?
I think mine was removed after referencing George Galloway's cat impersonations and Alex Salmond's lawyer's assessment of his behaviour and the standard of Scottish politics when folk are looking forward to their televised debate.

Loxie

Reaction score
I think mine was removed after referencing George Galloway's cat impersonations and Alex Salmond's lawyer's assessment of his behaviour and the standard of Scottish politics when folk are looking forward to their televised debate.
You did fat shame him. I don't think anyone denies the sex pest bit but perhaps linking his weight to this is unnecessarily offensive to larger people who do not sexually harass others.

SOS

Reaction score
So, what does this tell us about Scottish politics?
It tells me a lot about the country Scotland has become under the SNP, I was once a proud Scotsman now I am disgusted at what we are.
Not only do we have IDIOTS celebrating the death of the queen's husband,
Not so long ago we had the guy that is tipped to be the next leader of the NATIONALISTS Angus Robertson saying that the more old folk that die it would benefit the SNP what he did not say was that they are someone's grandmother, grandfather, mother, father Aunt or uncle of the people who he wants to vote for them.

But you will still give them your vote and the oxygen that they need to survive, I hope that makes you proud to be a Scotsman.

Last edited:

ozzyian

Reaction score
You did fat shame him. I don't think anyone denies the sex pest bit but perhaps linking his weight to this is unnecessarily offensive to larger people who do not sexually harass others.
:)

No, not even his counsel. In fact this personal characteristic formed a pillar of his defence.

Walleye

Reaction score
Ah, good point well put. It was fatist. But I'm a proper fat b'stard so can't I do that?

That didn't read well....by "do that", I didn't mean being a sex pest but I did mean being fatist to others as a fat b'stard might be acceptable.

SOS

Reaction score
Have you never watched a boxing match with two opponents that you don't care for knocking ten bells out of each other?.

Horsbrugh

Reaction score
She became a chartered accountant in 2013 apparently. I can't speak about accountancy, but to become chartered in engineering it is about your knowledge and understanding, not necessarily your age and experience. Some people can do a job for forty years and still not understand it!
Seems highly unlikely that she managed to qualify after only two years work experience.

Unless someone has graduated in accountancy they need first to study for three ACCA units, Graduates can save about two years study by only needing to study two of the units. There is a time limit of 10 years to complete the full qualification but it is possible to complete in 3 years, with a minimum of 3 years work experience in a relevant accounting role.

Reactions: SOS

Fruin

Reaction score
Seems highly unlikely that she managed to qualify after only two years work experience.

Unless someone has graduated in accountancy they need first to study for three ACCA units, Graduates can save about two years study by only needing to study two of the units. There is a time limit of 10 years to complete the full qualification but it is possible to complete in 3 years, with a minimum of 3 years work experience in a relevant accounting role.
But you are believing the posts on here without looking at the facts. She worked for four years and was chartered in 2013.

Fruin

Reaction score
Go on then, what does it tell you?
It tells me that there are idiots behind any cause/debate and that the cause itself should not be judged on the ill founded view of a few idiots. I could easily attack the racist, mysoginistic, bigotted views of many Unionists and quote examples on here. I don't, because it has nothing to do with the discussion and I would much rather stay on point than be distracted by the minority of lunatics on either side.
Unfortunately, the Express doesn't agree with this principle and, like the Daily Mail etc., prefer division and hatred over discussion.

Fruin

Reaction score
Wiki - probably more trustworthy than the Express or Mail, but, nevertheless non-factual. Check proper sources.

I suggest you look up the back story on Kate Forbes before dismissing her capability. Rather than simplistically arguing, like some have insinuated on this thread, that she is some daft lassie that had only worked in a bank for a couple of years, like she was a junior admin or the likes - check the facts.

Cambridge educated, mastering in Scotland. Lived in India where her father supplied medical help to those that couldn't afford it. Obviously very bright and multi-skilled if you take the time to look. Dropped in at the last minute to deliver somebody elses presentation on the Scottish budget and spent two hours answering questions without a sign of incomptence. But, never mind all that, just resort to type and label her as a daft lassie who only ever worked in a bank for two years 🙄

Last edited:

Horsbrugh

Reaction score
But you are believing the posts on here without looking at the facts. She worked for four years and was chartered in 2013.

I was reading Wikipedia.

University of Edinburgh, gaining an MSc in Diaspora and Migration History in 2013.
After two years of working for Dave Thompson MSP, she studied to become a chartered accountant for two years in 2013, before working for Barclays for two years.[3]
2015 stood in Skye, Lochaber and Badenoch to succeed her ex boss Dave Thompson.

Some thing is not right here. If she left Edinburgh Uni in 2013 to work for Dave Thompson for two years (2015) then worked+for Barclays for an other two years that would have taken her up to 2017 but yet she was selected to stand for election as an MSP in 2015 and was elected in 2016.

I read it that she completed two years study towards becoming a Chartered Accountant in 2013. It does not say she qualified, which is highly unlikely to have been achieved with only 2 years study. Plus, given that her ex MSP boss has no financial qualifications and was not working in a financial role within the SNP, we can pretty well guarantee that that employment would not be classified as an authorised training firm.

It takes 3 to 5 years study to qualify as a CA and you need a minimum of 3 years practical experience working full time with an authorised training firm. If she actually did 2 years with Barclays that might possibly count as an authorised training firm but that would still leave her one year short of the minimum requirement, plus there is a years discrepancy in her CV. If she worked for Dave Thompson for 2 year after leaving Uni in 2013, she could then only actually have worked for Barclays for one year, if she became an MSP in 2016.

It looks to me like the lassie canny count.

Lamson v10

Reaction score
I was reading Wikipedia.

University of Edinburgh, gaining an MSc in Diaspora and Migration History in 2013.
After two years of working for Dave Thompson MSP, she studied to become a chartered accountant for two years in 2013, before working for Barclays for two years.[3]

Some thing is not right here. If she left Edinburgh Uni in 2013 to work for Dave Thompson for two years (2015) then worked+for Barclays for an other two years that would have taken her up to 2017 but yet she was selected to stand for election as an MSP in 2015 and was elected in 2016.

I read it that she completed two years study towards becoming a Chartered Accountant in 2013. It does not say she qualified, which is highly unlikely to have been achieved with only 2 years study. Plus, given that her ex MSP boss has no financial qualifications and was not working in a financial role within the SNP, we can pretty well guarantee that that employment would not be classified as an authorised training firm.

It takes 3 to 5 years study to qualify as a CA and you need a minimum of 3 years practical experience working full time with an authorised training firm. If she actually did 2 years with Barclays that might possibly count as an authorised training firm but that would still leave her one year short of the minimum requirement, plus there is a years discrepancy in her CV. If she worked for Dave Thompson for 2 year after leaving Uni in 2013, she could then only actually have worked for Barclays for one year, if she became an MSP in 2016.

Must be a common thing in the snp kenny ,. As here we are again after a few years and not the once in a generation

williegunn2

Reaction score
Cambridge educated, mastering in Scotland. Lived in India where her father supplied medical help to those that couldn't afford it. Obviously very bright and multi-skilled if you take the time to look. Dropped in at the last minute to deliver somebody elses presentation on the Scottish budget and spent two hours answering questions without a sign of incomptence. But, never mind all that, just resort to type and label her as a daft lassie who only ever worked in a bank for two years 🙄
You've missed out a crucial piece of information, born in Dingwall!

salarchaser

Reaction score
I was reading Wikipedia.

Maybe not being able to count is a pre-requisite for an SNP Finance Minister.😉

3 people are interviewed for an accountancy role.
Interviewer asks the candidates a question. What is 2 plus 2?

Firstcandidate said 4. They were discounted.
The second candidate asked if the answer should be before or after taxes. They were commended but discounted.
The successful candidate's answer was, what would you like it to be?😮

Safranfoer

Reaction score
I was reading Wikipedia.

The numbers in your post are indicative. You need 450 days practice, plus the training/tuition.

Roag Fisher

Reaction score
No matter. She has the purse strings, and kept back money meant for struggling businesses for election "bribes", whilst knowing that once the covid money dries up, cuts elsewhere will have to be made to keep the "bribes" going.
Lower than a snakes belly....

salarchaser

Reaction score
The numbers in your post are indicative. You need 450 days practice, plus the training/tuition.
Ive worked with a number of financial controllers / finance managers who have been working towards chartered status.
Doing a job, the study and 'general life' makes it a slog.
There are always exceptions, especially people working in consultancies, but most seem in their 30s by the time they get there. A couple I know have gone on to be FDs. They often look weary.