Scottish politics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hoddom

Reaction score
I’m not in Scotland so no skin in the game but it would be good to have a sense of how the breach of the minister’s code is veiewed.
is Sturgeon worse than Priti Patel, twice found to have breached the code and still Secretary of State at home office (done for meeting with the government of a foreign power without knowledge of the cabinet or PM and for bullying). If stergeon mislead Holyrood, knowingly or not, why should she go when Patel gets full support of the PM. Or, should they both go?
Which is worse, would you choose one and not the other or if a breach of the code warrants the door might we see stergeon saying to Patel ‘ok, you step down an I will’

Occasional salmon fisher

Reaction score
I’m not in Scotland so no skin in the game but it would be good to have a sense of how the breach of the minister’s code is veiewed.
is Sturgeon worse than Priti Patel, twice found to have breached the code and still Secretary of State at home office (done for meeting with the government of a foreign power without knowledge of the cabinet or PM and for bullying). If stergeon mislead Holyrood, knowingly or not, why should she go when Patel gets full support of the PM. Or, should they both go?
Which is worse, would you choose one and not the other or if a breach of the code warrants the door might we see stergeon saying to Patel ‘ok, you step down an I will’
Sturgeon and Patel both going ? I like the sound of that ! :)

morphfly

Reaction score
Well, on the one hand after a long and varied career in the Irish judicial system I'm sure Mr Hamilton is coldly impartial, is determined to get to the truth and believes in that truth being told.

On the other if I had done something career endingly dishonest and needed a favourable Inquiry result to extract myself I think I would personally appoint the guy who I had employed as an advisor for 8 years to head up that Inquiry.

:)
"Independant" enquiry?
Says a lot about checks and balances and integrity. The latter was one characteristic that Scots could be proud of.
Morphfly

Horsbrugh

Reaction score
The fact is that they're a strange lot over there at the SNP. I shudder to think (and actually I don't) that huge parts of Scotland see them as representative.

Wasn't that Mackay bloke exposed for grooming a schoolboy a couple of years ago, defence being that since he was over 16 it's all ok? Or was that someone else. If it was him what the very f*** is he anything still to do with the SNP? Surely they would have launched him straight out the door?

Missingfishing

Reaction score
Very good front page picture on the current "Private Eye" magazine. Dame Cressida Dick and Boris Johnson walking along with a woman between them. Boris says: "Who says we don't protect women?". The woman in the picture is Pritty Patel.

Sorry can't scan it in at present.

Loxie

Reaction score
They should both go. No question.

Reactions: SOS

Safranfoer

Reaction score
Wasn’t Boris found to mislead Parliament recently too? I’m all for burning the lot of them down.

Safranfoer

Reaction score
And how would you do that without being accused of being the same as the last lot.
Well. We're certainly nations with trust issues. But I'd start by evidentially NOT being like the last lot, and continue with a culture of 'I'll let you resign honourably but if you don't, you will be fired.' Remember when bad politicians used to jump before they were pushed? Ah, those were the days...

Troosers Too

Reaction score
I'd start by evidentially NOT being like the last lot,
Tricky one that, though I applaud the sentiment. Politicians have to become salesmen (and women) to survive. They sell us punters their own (party's) version of current events. Sadly this is now so entrenched that nothing, absolutely nothing, the other side say can ever be right. It seems that morality is the immediate victim of this, no matter how the "new broom" declares otherwise.

Remember how Saint Tony Blair arrived as a shining beacon of hope and ten minutes later he's got us embarking on a, probably, illegal war and trying to justify it with a dossier of twisted facts and downright lies.

They simply can't help themselves. Who was the party leader who declared he wanted an end to adversarial politics? What happened there, then?

Roag Fisher

Reaction score
Sturgeon and Patel both going ? I like the sound of that ! :)
There is a world of difference between what the two of them have been up to.
But unless you have been following the Salmond stitch up from the beginning you could not know that. The SNP have been suppressing info and the mainstream media have been pulling their punches.

goosander

Reaction score
You know what Bob?
There is a ready made leader in Holyrood just now, unfortunately moving on apart from the fact her party has no chance of winning a majority.
That, of course is Ruth Davidson. Able, talented, with honesty and integrity oozing out of her, she would be the perfect candidate for the post bringing a calming and conciliatory presence to the role.(y)
As far as S.N.P. are concerned, out of the 47 M.P.s and 63 M.S.P.s I wouldn't have any one of them look after my pup for a day, never mind our country. Unfortunately they have all succumbed to the Party Machine with Nicola at the tiller and have been selected on their willingness to unquestionably do the leaders bidding and never to think for themselves.:(
For Labour, again unlikely but nevertheless, Jacquie Baillie stands out with similar characteristics to Ruth Davidson.(y)
The Lib Dems are always going to be a minority party although their last leader claimed to be a stick on for P.M. before she was led away quietly after losing her own seat. The party remain delusional.:)
That only leaves the Greens so let's give the job to our Snowflake in Chief, Patrick Hervey.:eek:
Aye------right. We'd be better off with the Sensational Alex Harvey.:D
Come to think of it, I would much prefer Alex to Nicola.:)
Well there is one thing we will never agree on. Baroness Davidson is just jumping on to anything to get attention. For an example what has getting your photo taken sitting on top of a tank or a buffalo etc. What is really great about this country is that we can all agree to disagree.
Got to go now as there is some importaint things to do like fishing.
Cheers. Tom.
Bob.

Horsbrugh

Reaction score
Worth a read by anyone wondering if all the negative comments about Oor Supreme Leader and her cronies are actually justified.

Last edited:

tealblue

Reaction score
Well who would have bet against a former SNP advisor letting the lying Wee toad off
I think it should have been a totally independent person and not a former SNP advisor to have given this report. It stinks to high heaven she has got out of jail here. :mad: :mad: Hopefully it will cause enough damage and they lose there majority in the forth coming elections.

SOS

Reaction score
Am i surprised by the verdict? not one little bit.
James Hamilton is 73 years old, will he care about his career anymore? I doubt it.
Would he find against the person who hired him? not likely.
Has he worked with Sturgeon before? yes he has.
Has his bank balance just got a bit of a boost? probably.
Although he has let her off the hook a little bit, it will be the people that decide if she is fit to run the country, not him and not the stupid people who signed up to the stand by Nicola campaign.
If they get an overall majority in the election that will give them even more power to do what they want and get away with anything.

I think she and her government of nodding dogs will do more harm to the election by staying on. Surely most sane people will see them for what they are.
Salmond will not be a happy bunny today, and I think we can expect some fireworks from him soon, he has nothing to lose.

SOS

Reaction score
Even in the so called independent Hamilton report, there are 76 redactions that the SNP do not want the public to see.
You can understand some names being redacted, but not whole sentences or paragraphs that make the report nonsense to read.

Andrew B

Reaction score
There is a world of difference between what the two of them have been up to.
But unless you have been following the Salmond stitch up from the beginning you could not know that. The SNP have been suppressing info and the mainstream media have been pulling their punches.
I can usually get a feel for this things and that Salmond stitch up never felt right to me.
Unfortunately it’s become too easy to stitch some bloke up for this without a shred of evidence.
There’s something similar going on in New York with Cuomo whose real crime was lying about Covid deaths and yet they want to go after him for things he said to women?........the media shouldn’t give this s*** time of day but it’s all about ratings imo?

Status
Not open for further replies.