Scottish politics

SOS

Reaction score
There is so much going on in Scottish politics at the moment, and with the coming elections in May which could result in another indy ref i thought it deserves its own thread.
There is an interesting program on BBC alba channel 117 at 9pm tonight about how Charles Kennedy was abused by the SNP in the run up to the 2015 elections,

acercon3

Reaction score
For as much as I’d like to see a measured debate going on I doubt that this thread will last very long.
I’ll get my tuppence worth in before closedown by saying that we are now living in a Banana Republic.

You are most certainly correct in stating that CK was badly abused by by the SNP , particularly by some very prominent current members, one of which ,in my opinion, is little better than oaf.

acercon3

Reaction score
It's a shite state of affairs to be in.
It sure is .
The true state of affairs is not broadcast in Scotland as the MSM are totally in the pocket of the SNP government hence the deafening silence whilst our laws are trashed.
No doubt the two main broadcasters will be packed to the rafters with compliant sympathisers. Some brave journos have admitted that they have been barred from broadcasting the truth of what is happening.
if you want to get a flavour of what is going on go and check Twitter feeds of Craig Murray or George Galloway . Also check out Wings of Scotland website.
CM and Wings are out and out Nationalists but with principals . When guys like this are calling out the current regime you really do need to sit up and take note.

For the avoidance of doubt the regime as it exists have corrupted our country and it’ s organs . Media and judiciary are badly compromised.

As though that is not enough where else in the world can school kids , via an online learning resource , download a face mask of the First Minister !?
That is how twisted our beautiful country has become .

it is time for many to look in the mirror and question whether they are making the correct choices.

Last edited:

SOS

Reaction score
As someone who has voted for all the main parties inc the SNP, I am now applying the ABS brakes on Sturgeon as Scotland has become like North Korea or Russia where the government can do as they like and no one can do or say anything.
Anyone
But
Sturgeon

I quite liked Charles Kennedy as a person and a politician, when he was leader of the Lib Dems.

acercon3

Reaction score
As someone who has voted for all the main parties inc the SNP, I am now applying the ABS brakes on Sturgeon as Scotland has become like North Korea or Russia where the government can do as they like and no one can do or say anything.
Anyone
But
Sturgeon

I quite liked Charles Kennedy as a person and a politician, when he was leader of the Lib Dems.
I’ve also have been around the houses but have to say what we have now is beyond comprehension.
Nothing that they have been given responsibility for has been improved.
Health , Education , Hospitals unfit for use, corrupted Judiciary , tamed media , malicious prosecutions costing 10 s of millions and yet people still cannot grasp that this is a shambles ?
if they had made an honest job of the last 13 years and actually made
headway with their responsibilities then they may have convinced swithering voters that there may be a better way ahead. Instead they have utilised every means possible to implement underhanded practices in order to twist truth and influence the gullible.

keirstream

Reaction score
I’ve also have been around the houses but have to say what we have now is beyond comprehension.
Nothing that they have been given responsibility for has been improved.
Health , Education , Hospitals unfit for use, corrupted Judiciary , tamed media , malicious prosecutions costing 10 s of millions and yet people still cannot grasp that this is a shambles ?
if they had made an honest job of the last 13 years and actually made
headway with their responsibilities then they may have convinced swithering voters that there may be a better way ahead. Instead they have utilised every means possible to implement underhanded practices in order to twist truth and influence the gullible.
You have made a huge glaring exception.
The politicised Police Scotland.
Previously independent of Central Government and working very efficiently within Local Government parameters, the polis have
now become nothing more than revenue raisers for Sturgeon and her cronies.
The Chief Constable is nothing but a political puppet.
The reorganisation was sold on the spin of efficiency and economy.
They would have a better organised service and save a fortune was the continued message.
The reverse situation is the result and is clear to everyone. :(

westie4566

Reaction score
Previously independent of Central Government and working very efficiently within Local Government parameters, the polis have
They would have a better organised service and save a fortune was the continued message.
I have pals who are current serving officers - they're disgusted by it.

Save a fortune , aye....better organised, nae in a million years. Mind that couple who lay injured/dead in their car for days off the A9/M9 near Stirling?

acercon3

Reaction score
That one was not on my radar but is massively important.

You really do have to wonder what the opposition have been doing for the last decade .
Holyrood would appear to be brim full of ineffectuals.

keirstream

Reaction score
That one was not on my radar but is massively important.

You really do have to wonder what the opposition have been doing for the last decade .
Holyrood would appear to be brim full of ineffectuals.
Said it right from opening day at Holyrood.
Glorified Community Cooncilors. :(
Only ones to get pass marks for me is Ruth Davidson who got pelters from the Nats because she got totally pissed off trying to counter the ongoing corruption and bully boy tactics.
Liz Smith who was a huge supporter of our struggles against Scotgov and M.S.S. during the W.F.R.
Jackie Baillie for the same reasons but also a hugely underrated politician.

SOS

Reaction score
Cannot understand why Jackie Bailie did not run for leader of the Labour party.
She is well spoken, keeps the heed and stands no sh1t from nippy.

kenb61

Reaction score
I try not to get into political posts too much, but today in particular the SG and the high heid yin(s) have screwed up big time and treated us like ignorant fools. I believed that independence was a distinct possibility and would have supported it but NOT with Sturgeon at the helm. Now I believe they (she) have shot themselves in the foot with the way they're handling the get out of lockdown. The thought of Ross, Labour (TBA) and/or Rennie having some more influence on the SG does not fill me with confidence either. We're doomed I tell ya, we're doomed....

To think that this lockdown level could last until the end of April before heading into level 4 and even then they will play with the numbers to keep us in it. Aberdeen has for the past week been around 2.5% - 3.5% positivity rate and todays rate for cases by 100k is around 25, if we stick at this we could/will be penalised by staying in this status for another 9-10 weeks and only then likely go to level 3. Hardly a way of opening up and boosting economy again. I appreciate that things can change and yes we need a little more time to be sure but to keep doing this to the whole country is just ridiculous and to me yet again pandering to the voting public of central belt/west coast where case loads are not reducing as quickly and in some cases increasing (no offence to central belters/west coasters (y)).

In regards to centralising of the police, the fire service is the same and has there not been cases of engines being sent to far parts of the country when there were nearer engines.

Last edited:

MikeCC

Reaction score
Unfortunately theres just no effectual opposition. The days of a strong Labour party in Scotland seem like a distant memory, the Greens are in bed with the SNP, and the Lib Dems are a waste of breathable air. The SNP have had it easy for so long that theyve perhaps ironically turned on their own selves with political in house fighting and corruption. As much as I have no time for Salmond either, I was hoping he’d get his chance to stick the boot it in but hes being blocked at every turn......a bit like the upcoming and damaging Education report thats being deliberately suppressed till post election.

I think the only positive that would come of independence is that it would probably be the death of the SNP......eventually. We’d probably see a complete re-set of Scottish Politics, uninfluenced by the divisive nationalism we see now. But dont worry, im not voting for it!

acercon3

Reaction score
Said it right from opening day at Holyrood.
Glorified Community Cooncilors. :(
Only ones to get pass marks for me is Ruth Davidson who got pelters from the Nats because she got totally pissed off trying to counter the ongoing corruption and bully boy tactics.
Liz Smith who was a huge supporter of our struggles against Scotgov and M.S.S. during the W.F.R.
Jackie Baillie for the same reasons but also a hugely underrated politician.
I agree with your nominations . I’ve always liked Ruth but in recent weeks have been more than impressed with JB.

TBH in many of the seats for Holyrood and WM you could dress a chimp in yellow and black and still get it elected. It is a sad indictment that this is the result of politicising the feckless and economically illiterate.

SOS

Reaction score
I have received a few e-mails from Douglas Ross's office, not sure why because i am not a member of the Conservative party,
Two or three weeks ago i replied to him saying that there has never been a better time to be in opposition, it would be so easy to pick holes in the SNP's policies, but what has/is happening is the SNP seem to be determined to press the self destruct button themselves.

SOS

Reaction score
The opposition really got to put the party politics behind them and endorse tactical voting to get them out
Can't remember in the Scottish ballot paper whether you are allowed 2 or three votes but i know who will not get an x on my paper.

MikeCC

Reaction score
I think hes ‘offered’ to appear on Friday. No guarantees he will.....fingers crossed though

keirstream

Reaction score
Kenny MacAskill (SNP) has just given the Leaders a roasting on BBC.
McCaskill was no favourite of mines when he was in the cabinet.
However, he is a huge supporter of Salmond and even bigger critical opponent of Sturgeon.
He will prove to be key to the demolition of the present administration if Salmond is ever allowed to make his case unhindered.