Scotland fishing next week

Gimp

Reaction score
Going on holiday this Friday to Scotland. .going on a road trip from Cairnryan twouds spey. .I have a day pass from the misses to fish a river . Any recommendations??? .will be fishing the fly and would like nice streamy water that's not too big . I see there's long awaited rain coming .any info would be greatly appreciated .thanks gimp

salmonaddict

Reaction score
Gimp...it's very difficult to say the way the runs are at the moment. The Tay is doing ok so anywhere from Lower Kinnaird down could be worth a cast. The lower you go, the more expensive it will be and availability will be less.

The Tweed is a bit of a hit and miss at the moment as according to reports there aren't as many fish around as you'd normally expect. From Boleside down you can expect to pay "funny money". From Sunderland Hall up, a bit cheaper and may be your best bet but again, the runs aran't what's been expected.

The Nith and Annan may be worth a cast but again, catches haven't been goo recently. Hoddom on the Annan is probably the best in terms of fly water and chance of a fish. Ideal height for Hoddom would be just under 2' down a foot. DGAA on the Nith may be worth a cast. Low'ish water down there would give you the best chance. Have a look at the Nith thread as the guys down there post regularly and would help you out.

The North Esk is may be worth looking at as it is a very productive little river though availability might be scarce at this time of year.

Not too sure where else to recommend. Catches haven't been great so far this backend on the rivers that you'd normally expect to fish well. Have a look at the Fishpal sites, check catches and availability and take your pick.

Tight lines :)

simonsmith

Reaction score
Advice

Gimp....I'd suggest get yourself on the Upper Tay and don't use a space before a full stop . Tight lines ?

rs2ford

Reaction score
I would opt for a day on upper Tweed or upper Tay, wharever was available. With the recent rain and the rivers at good heights you would definitely be in with a shout on either. Upper Tweed is smaller if that's what you prefer but both are lovely places to wet a line and won't break the bank.
Cheers Diarmid.

Last edited: