Scierra surge

pfeul

Reaction score
Last week end coming home a morning fishing, i realized driving on the highway that I forgot to pack my zpey 13'3 #8 6pcs that was laying on the roof of the car. I went back to where I previously parked the car to find that the rod was at least a 12 pieces... And I only found some few parts with the help of a neighbour.

Trying to find some positive aspects to this very displeasing experience, I'm now looking for a new travel rod and was considering the 12'6 #8 Scierra Surge among other rods

Would be very interested to hear what people who have cast the rod would tell about it?

Eminem

Reaction score
Haven't tried or held one but I like the look and spec of their newer double handed rods.
Scierra always excellent value for money IMHO.

Oscar

Reaction score
Haven't tried or held one but I like the look and spec of their newer double handed rods.

I agree with him!

I love Scierra stuff, it's well made, attractive and doesn't break the bank. I have about 6 DPD feels as they are just magnificent bits of kit.

You might be wise trying to put this message on the general board?

Oscar.

pfeul

Reaction score

Yes what's one of the reason I've begun this thread.
I bought a traxion 3 reel on the big auction site last year and although still preferring danielsson reels, I'm amazed by the quality of building of the reel for the price every time I grab it. Really excellent value for money.

The other reason I started this thread is because there aren't lots of options available (especially at reasonable cost) for a multi piece double handed rod of 12' at least for casting 27-28g heads.
Salmologic, loop cross, scierra surge and classified zpey (classic or not) and sage one...

Hibernicus

Reaction score
I have a few Scierra rods going back to HM's time and I still rate them.
I expected much of the Surge and I had ten minutes with one of the DH rods, sometime last season (I think it was the 13'6").
In short, I didn't take to it.
The rod seemed to have a very soft tip, too soft for my liking, and I felt the progressive action was such that it would struggle with sinking heads beyond a sink-tip (but then I didn't try sinking lines!).
Pity.
H:)

Eminem

Reaction score
Good, constructive comments from Hibernicus (as always :))

Studying the rod specs closely I personally, for my shooting head work and preference for "tippier" actions, might have opted for either the Futuro or Memento double handers. i would of course need to try first and then comment.

They do look very nice though :cool::eek:

Last edited:

pfeul

Reaction score
I have a few Scierra rods going back to HM's time and I still rate them.
I expected much of the Surge and I had ten minutes with one of the DH rods, sometime last season (I think it was the 13'6").
In short, I didn't take to it.
The rod seemed to have a very soft tip, too soft for my liking, and I felt the progressive action was such that it would struggle with sinking heads beyond a sink-tip (but then I didn't try sinking lines!).
Pity.
H:)

Thanks for this very instructing comment! The zpey I owned was a 13'3 HM signature straight handle style 28g (I guess rather comparable in terms of action with scierra rods of HM time) . With no easiness to test cast rods, it helps me to make a choice.

Last edited:

pfeul

Reaction score
Oh you don't need to apologize for that! ?
Regarding travel rods, although it might look as a limited market, I don't get why they do not become as a new standard in the industry. There has been so much improvement with ferrule adjustment, that apart a little more weight than 4 piece rod, the difference in action between a 4 and 6 pieces rod is almost not noticeable anymore.
There are rather lots of option for 14ft 9/10 travel rods, unfortunatly not so much for less powerful rods...

Wesdev

Reaction score
Surge

I have the 15ft Surge and love it. It can cast all lines and it has a lovely action.

On the subject of 6pc rods. Scierra did the chrome series and they has some 6pc. I have the 12ft 6 #7/8 and the 13ft 9/10 but i haven't cast them yet as i did a big Loop clear out due to moving some dough around. Feel good in the hand though.

Wesdev

Reaction score
nice but wonkey

I dunno if i like the handle and those zpeys are quite stiff. I can get the new surge for around the same money.

Wesdev

Reaction score
Ok, so i bought the 12’6” #8 surge too and with the ssvt #8 its a dream to cast. Probably the best 12fter i’ve cast. 5pc and as light as a feather and well built. Easky cast it too and was putting out a lovely line even with a fast tip on , it was landing very gently.

longchuck

Reaction score
They are stunning rods,the finish and components are first class.but above all they are stunning casting and fishing rods,had a wee throw of the 12/6 yesterday ,very very good ,the barrio line that it was loaded with went a dream,best value for money rods on the market ,outcast and out fish most of the top rods i have

LISBOA58

Reaction score
Good afternoon.

Could well be interested in the Scierra Surge 12ft, #7 line, 5 pieces.

Does anyone tried/fishes that rod? And about a multip line that would go with it?

Thanks in advance.

Wesdev

Reaction score
I haven’t tried that but i do have a scierra chrome 6pc wgich is a 7/8 for sale and casts the same grain window. Would be half the cost? Pm me for details..

Icelander05

Reaction score
Just read this. I do have the 12' #7 on sale. Initially I bought it to fish with it in Argentina for seatrout, but my CND travel rod got ready on time so I didn't need it. It has a nice forgiving action and goes well with a couple of lines. As I don't need it I would give it away for a very good price. (bought it for a good price either)
Icelander05