Scandi casting actual “max” distance......

alan w

Reaction score
River craft is far more important than pinging it 40 yards as others have alluded too , pay attention to where you see resting/running fish showing and figure out how best to present the flee determined on river speed and depth. On deeper pools fish squarer and hand line the flee back ( as it slows down ) to give it more movement to entice a fish. Quicker/shallower pools fish more at a more down stream angle with a heavier/bigger flee ,sink tip or deeper swimming line and sometimes hold the rod up and/or outward to slow the flee down making it swim deeper into likely spots.

You will catch more fish learning what works best presentation wise as opposed to trying to cast as far as possible. Tight lines.

1kofly

Reaction score
I had consistant ca 100 feet casts on a big river with floating head when I found a rythm and timing. But it was my limit. Could not get longer proper casts. Failures also happened :)
Paweł.

neilfly1

Reaction score
River craft is far more important than pinging it 40 yards as others have alluded too , pay attention to where you see resting/running fish showing and figure out how best to present the flee determined on river speed and depth. On deeper pools fish squarer and hand line the flee back ( as it slows down ) to give it more movement to entice a fish. Quicker/shallower pools fish more at a more down stream angle with a heavier/bigger flee ,sink tip or deeper swimming line and sometimes hold the rod up and/or outward to slow the flee down making it swim deeper into likely spots.

You will catch more fish learning what works best presentation wise as opposed to trying to cast as far as possible. Tight lines.
I am not favouring distance over watercraft, nor discounting the importance of presentation and reading lies etc. Only asking the question for my casting practice days when I’m not on the river, as I dont get to fish very often,
but I take all your points on board and agree, thanks for the advice, enjoying the learning curve👍

Loxie

Reaction score
I am not favouring distance over watercraft, nor discounting the importance of presentation and reading lies etc. Only asking the question for my casting practice days when I’m not on the river, as I dont get to fish very often,
but I take all your points on board and agree, thanks for the advice, enjoying the learning curve👍
IMO distance casting has as much to do with the line as the rod and Spey casting is a very broad church. With a 15' rod and a custom made shooting head I can overhead cast around 50yards. With the same set up a sustained anchor type Spey cast would be max 45 yards and with a touch and go style Spey cast using only the leader as an anchor I'd expect to be sub 40yards. However if I put a Rio AFS on the touch and go will be further and the other 2 less. When I started 15' rods and DT lines were the norm for most rivers. Although shooting heads with mono running lines have been around since at least the 1950's and probably earlier things have changed dramatically recently with a plethora of new line designs, with different manufacturers calling them all different things, coupled with shorter stiffer rods. There is also a growing separation between casting and fishing, as short stiff rods with skagit style lines whilst easy to cast, especially with sustained anchor casts, are not very good fishing rods, especially with sustained anchor casts!

simoncassidy

Reaction score
I use mono running line on all my setups as it has less friction than coated running lines and thus travels much further. I have never measured how far i can throw but at a guess I would say in around 120ft is easily achievable on the 15ft and longer rods I use.

Springer

Reaction score
Distance comes with good technique, based on what you are saying regarding the tackle I would suggest you aim for consistent 30yd casts.

With the set-up you suggest you would need to manage and then shoot 8yds of running line which equates to about ten pulls on the retrieve, thats more than enough to use during the swing or retrieve at the end. Try to work on being able to cast 30yds using every cast you know including into the wind. Distance with a shooting head comes from developing high line speed and good line management as tangles or excess friction rob you of distance.

The terms 'shooting head' and 'distance' dont really belong together in my book, short heads are fishing lines not distance casting lines, nice casts of 40yds with a 40' are hard because the head turns over quickly and once it stops turning it no longer effectively pulls the running line with it, the back of the head starts to chase the front as its carrying more momentum and the head bunches up and looks ugly. To make good casts your running line should gently tug on the real just before the end of the head finishes turning over, this tension will encourage the leader to turnover.

Asking men on a forum how far they can cast is like asking them how big their willies are, you will get all kinds of answers but the truth usually comes out in the shower ;)

offshore

Reaction score
Distance comes with good technique, based on what you are saying regarding the tackle I would suggest you aim for consistent 30yd casts.

With the set-up you suggest you would need to manage and then shoot 8yds of running line which equates to about ten pulls on the retrieve, thats more than enough to use during the swing or retrieve at the end. Try to work on being able to cast 30yds using every cast you know including into the wind. Distance with a shooting head comes from developing high line speed and good line management as tangles or excess friction rob you of distance.

The terms 'shooting head' and 'distance' dont really belong together in my book, short heads are fishing lines not distance casting lines, nice casts of 40yds with a 40' are hard because the head turns over quickly and once it stops turning it no longer effectively pulls the running line with it, the back of the head starts to chase the front as its carrying more momentum and the head bunches up and looks ugly. To make good casts your running line should gently tug on the real just before the end of the head finishes turning over, this tension will encourage the leader to turnover.

Asking men on a forum how far they can cast is like asking them how big their willies are, you will get all kinds of answers but the truth usually comes out in the shower ;)
That's interesting - I have been intending using a traditional spey line again this summer (for a change), using my old Loop Classic Spey 15' rod.

I have mainly fished in recent years with a RIO Versitip and Gripshooter/Slickshooter - practical but not very enjoyable at longer distance as most of my casts end in a bit of a lump. Perhaps I need a coated running alone instead ?

My last purchase was a RIO Scandi head for a shorter rod, but I would probably go for an integrated line in future - for no better reason than all these loop connections are starting to aggravate me.

On the rare occasions I hook something, its normally between 18 and 25 yards distance when I think about it - even on bigger rivers.

Last edited:

neilfly1

Reaction score

Thank you very much sir, fantastic response 👍