Scandi casting actual “max” distance......

neilfly1

Reaction score
I have asked this question before on other platforms and am yet to find someone who will just give a number...
my guess is that its some sort of strange (male?) pride thing and pple are perhaps scared to say how far they can actually cast. I’m not looking to “out”anyone here, but being fairly new to the sport, I would like to know what is possible. Not for world record breakers, but for “most” average to decent casters, so that those of us newer to the sport have a figure in mind to aim for when we practice etc
I know that in actual fishing situations there are a number of variables that affect us like wind, strength of current, line management, distance actually needed, back cast room, angle change between dangle and required presentation, water level etc etc etc etc
So here is my question....
Given “fairly normal/standard” gear, amd ideal practice conditions :
14ft 9wt rod, 38ft scandi style head, normal/smallish tube fly, a coated running line(airflo ridge/Rio connect core/similar etc). stood thigh deep in STILL water (so there are no running line management issues)

1 What would you expect the maximum distance you would be able to achieve with little to no wind...please give an actual figure😘

thanks in advance

Rainclouds

Reaction score
I wouldn't put a number on it but much further than I would like to handle the running line in a fishing situation with a 38 foot head and a 20 foot leader.

In the circumstances you describe except with an 8/9 56 foot head on a pond a few years ago, I could manage just over 40 yards consistently. The slightest breeze sent the tip in curly pig tails.There are very few places where I fish in Ireland I can think of where that distance would offer any advantage.

neilfly1

Reaction score
Agree, max distance often not needed. But those of us, like me, who dont live near many rivers amd don’t get to fish that often, need to practice more, as do those new to the sport, and it’s for this reason I would like to be able to put an actual number on it.
like your example above- would you expect to be ABLE to put a scandi head out to near that distance of 40yds you described with a full Spey line? In ideal/practice casting conditions

Rainclouds

Reaction score
I would need to take off three yards at least. The bigger d loop offers a good advantage and the cast is less hurried.

Last year on the Moy I took out that same set up for the first time in over a year having fished mostly short heads on shorter rods. I took an hour to get used to it again.

neilfly1

Reaction score
I would need to take off three yards at least. The bigger d loop offers a good advantage and the cast is less hurried.

Last year on the Moy I took out that same set up for the first time in over a year having fished mostly short heads on shorter rods. I took an hour to get used to it again.
Yeah takes me a fair old while to adjust between long belly lines and shooting heads, and even a bit if time switching rod lengths...
thanks very much for replies

neilfly1

Reaction score
36/37 yards with good consistent turnover.

More is possible, but less consistent, for me at least.
Thank you very much, really useful to have a mental figure, and like you say, important having consistent turn over!

Hoddom

Reaction score
I tried to see how far I could cast using a 13’9” 8# once just to satisfy curiosity at the end of a days fishing ( I can’t imagine ever trying it while fishing as delicases of presentation go out the window)
I discovered two things. Firstly, I didn’t have a yard rule on me so couldn’t measure it and, secondly, that I cast 46 turns of my reel (to get to the casting point of the line - about 5” from the Scandi head). No idea how far that was.... I learnt it’s probably best to focus on fishing not casting - or to get a flipping long tape measure

sgellert

Reaction score
I have a Vision running line with "marks" every 5 meters, so I can kinda calculate the distance. I try not to though ;)

SteveG

Reaction score
I tried to see how far I could cast using a 13’9” 8# once just to satisfy curiosity at the end of a days fishing ( I can’t imagine ever trying it while fishing as delicases of presentation go out the window)
I discovered two things. Firstly, I didn’t have a yard rule on me so couldn’t measure it and, secondly, that I cast 46 turns of my reel (to get to the casting point of the line - about 5” from the Scandi head). No idea how far that was.... I learnt it’s probably best to focus on fishing not casting - or to get a flipping long tape measure
If you know roughly where you are standing on the pool you can measure it using Google earth 👍

Rainclouds

Reaction score
Yeah takes me a fair old while to adjust between long belly lines and shooting heads, and even a bit if time switching rod lengths...
thanks very much for replies
When I bought that 56 foot head line I thought it was the easiest casting line I had ever tried. I could cast it then much better than I can now. I was coming from a double tsper. A spell with a dpuble taper might sharpen me up again.

Hardyreels

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Pretty far.

Here's how I know if I made a long cast. I have some custom made Scandi lines that are 44 foot lines. They have integrated running line that will shoot if you control it. If I am using a 14 foot rod the leader on that line is 14 foot long. So if I happen to make a long cast I have only my eyesight and perception to make a guess at how far the cast went.

I figure things out like this; 44 foot head + 14 foot leader = 58 feet. Now add another 35 to 40 feet of the running line behind the head and you have possibly 98 feet. Now add the extension of the rod at the end of my cast + 14 more feet = 112 foot cast.

I don't have need to do that every time I cast but probably need it 45% of the places I fish at some point during the day. I'm actually happier when I can fish anywhere between 50 foot and 70 because I can do that effortlessly whereas the all the way across cast takes some additional focus not to mention energy.

Rrrr

Reaction score
At max distance i can see my backing on the reel but still have running line on the spool. Thats belting it out with no consideration to where and how its going to land.
No idea how far it is though and wouldnt fish at that distance, also that would be using a snap t cast which i avoid when possible.

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

rotenone

Reaction score
Agree, max distance often not needed. But those of us, like me, who dont live near many rivers amd don’t get to fish that often, need to practice more, as do those new to the sport, and it’s for this reason I would like to be able to put an actual number on it.
like your example above- would you expect to be ABLE to put a scandi head out to near that distance of 40yds you described with a full Spey line? In ideal/practice casting conditions
30 yard cast are comfortable with coated running lines, however virtually none of my Scandinavian friends fish with coated running lines that tells you something, they restrict distance, require more effort to shoot and are not as good with sinking lines. With a mono shooting line I can comfortable spey cast 40 yards and a bit more with heads over 12 metres plus 10 footpoly and 5 to 8 foot mono.
When you use heads over 13.5metres distance becomes easier, I recommend anyone starting to take an interest in investing the time to learn mono running line techniques it's no more difficult then a coated shooting line and the benefits are many especially economy effort, sure there's a few downsides but learning to brake the line on windy days and proper loop management deals with those

Last edited:

neilfly1

Reaction score
When I bought that 56 foot head line I thought it was the easiest casting line I had ever tried. I could cast it then much better than I can now. I was coming from a double tsper. A spell with a dpuble taper might sharpen me up again.
Funnily enough, first 55ft head I cast, 5 mins in I felt I could be giving demos lol! Then next few hours I couldnt cast a scandi head to save my life 🤣

neilfly1

Reaction score
Best not to get too fixated on distance.
You then become a caster and lose concentration on actual fishing.
Very rarely do the longest casters catch the most fish except on hard fished association pools like Rome Croy.
Agree, but I seldom get to actually fish due to my location, and I love casting too! So between trips i practice as often as weather and time allows, really enjoy it and helps me stay sane and connected between trips. Distance is not my only focus by any means, if it were I would only use mono running lines etc. Just like having a rough figure to aim for in my head when trying new things etc or trying to improve technique or efficiency

Last edited:

neilfly1

Reaction score
Don’t focus on how far you can cast. Focus on your presentation. It will catch you much more fish.
Agree, and as said in post, this is purely fir when I can’t fish and am only practising. Once I reach a distance, I focus on consistent turnover, play around with amount of ange
le change etc, then try to increase the distance by a few feet, then again, back to turn over, presentation accuracy etc. I dont get to fish very often, so when I do, I like to be ready, weather that’s r50-80ft like most often or of I rarely get to a bigger river where there’s a current seem I am aiming at 30yds away...

neilfly1

Reaction score
Currently I am consistent at shooting 40-ft of running line past the tip (Rio connect core metered so I just count the colour changes Outside the tip)vwith good turn over and
very occasionally when pushing it and getting all the stars line up.... I will shoot 60-70ft, but not often.

Flow

Reaction score
In Scandicasting under fishing conditions a skilled caster shoots maybe twice as much runningline as shooting head length. Wind, different heads/ sinking rates, polyleader, the size of the fly affect that significantly.
I think its much more important to cast a consistant turnover for straight line/tippet. Its useless to cast 40 yards when the fly does not fish the half drift because of too much slack line in the water.