Saturday on the Wee Buchaille

keirstream

Reaction score
The weather was brutal on the summit ridge and on the top.
I was blown off my feet 3 times and with hail and sleet ripping into your cheeks like machine gun fire
it was decided that the rest of the walk to the Big Buchaille was not really going to be and enjoyable experience.:eek::eek:
A hasty retreat was beaten back to the Clachaig.:cool:
If you zoom in on a couple of snaps of the Aonach Eigach ridge you will spot Jimmy Savilles old house at the roadside.
Something really needs to be done with it, a total eyesore at present.:(
Breagha was rather drookit and a bit crestfallen at the top but her Cooncil jacket kept the worst of the weather at bay.
She can, however, be seen happily posing in her fleecy replacement jacket next to the Clachaig stove.:D
WeeBuchaille8.jpgWeeBuchaille7.jpgWeeBuchaille6.jpgWeeBuchaille5.jpgWeeBuchaille4.jpgWeeBuchaille3.jpgWeeBuchaille.jpgWeeBuchaille2.jpgClachaig.jpg

Last edited:

picasso

Reaction score
Always nice to see some pictures of our fabulous countryside, shame about the weather but the bad days outnumber the good days in my experience. Do you mean you never got across the ridge to Stob Dubh the other Munro on this walk ? or where you planning on doing the 2 Buachaillie' s in 1 day ? That's a very big walk for this time o year .

Andrew B

Reaction score
Way cool. So pardon me for not even knowing how to pronounce that but isn’t there a really famous one that end with Mor?

mows

Reaction score
That wasnt weather to be in the hills Tom. It was bad enough o the foot of the glen.
Nice pictures, but they cant show the wind chill.

keirstream

Reaction score
Always nice to see some pictures of our fabulous countryside, shame about the weather but the bad days outnumber the good days in my experience. Do you mean you never got across the ridge to Stob Dubh the other Munro on this walk ? or where you planning on doing the 2 Buachaillie' s in 1 day ? That's a very big walk for this time o year .
Aye, that was the plan but it was quickly ditched after reaching Stob Duhb
We were away early enough and it wasn't available time that defeated us, just the lure of the Clachaig stove and several pints of Cairngorm lager.:D
And a bowl of their finest lentil soup.:cool:

Andrew B

Reaction score
I’ve read some great climbing stories about Buachaille Etive Mor. Some with good endings and some with tragedy.
One thing I’ve noticed even from the Alps and Himalaya climbers is the shock they get in the Scottish winter conditions 😂

keirstream

Reaction score
Way cool. So pardon me for not even knowing how to pronounce that but isn’t there a really famous one that end with Mor?
Boochal Etive Mor is the Big Herdsman of Etive situated at the entry into GlenCoe and Glen Etive,
That's the Big Buachaille.
Boochal Etive Beg is the Small Herdsman of Etive tucked in behind the Big version.
That's the Wee Buachaille.
There is a difference of around 200 feet in the altitudes of the respective munros Stob Dearg, the Red Peak
and Stob Dubh the Black Peak although in reallity, as Picasso points out, it's quite a big day of ridge walking , ascent and descent to catch the 2 peaks.
Saturday was not the day for it, discretion and beer being the better part of valour.:D
Hope that helps.(y)

keirstream

Reaction score
I’ve read some great climbing stories about Buachaille Etive Mor. Some with good endings and some with tragedy.
One thing I’ve noticed even from the Alps and Himalaya climbers is the shock they get in the Scottish winter conditions 😂
Aye Andrew, but those are mainly climbing stories and it would have taken brave and skillful lads to attempt the Curved Ridge on Saturday as
it was perfect verglace conditions.:eek::eek:

ibm59

Reaction score
Even on the best of summer days , and viewed from a distance , Big Buach gives me the creeps.
What freezing , howling , misery it must be on a bad winter’s day.

Andrew B

Reaction score
Boochal Etive Mor is the Big Herdsman of Etive situated at the entry into GlenCoe and Glen Etive,
Boochal Etive Beg is the Small Herdsman of Etive tucked in behind the Big version.
There is a difference of around 200 feet in the altitudes of the respective munros Stob Dearg, the Red Peak
and Stob Dubh the Black Peak although in reallity, as Picasso points out, it's quite a big day of ridge walking , ascent and descent to catch the 2 peaks.
Saturday was not the day for it, discretion and beer being the better part of valour.:D
Hope that helps.(y)
Yeah helps a lot.
I don’t think there’s anything that tops fresh air, the hills and the beers after. Knocks me out in a good way lol.

picasso

Reaction score
Hope that helps.(y)
Its WAY more complicated than that, each Buachaille has 2 munros , Beag has Stob Dubh and Stob Coire Raineach. Mor has 2 Munros, Stob Dearg and Stob na Broige but also has 2 Munro Tops Stob Na Doire and Stob Coire Altruim . From your photos it looks like you did Stob Coire Raineach ? the 3rd last picture looks like your looking over to Stob Dubh ?

Andrew B

Reaction score
Aye Andrew, but those are mainly climbing stories and it would have taken brave and skillful lads to attempt the Curved Ridge on Saturday as
it was perfect verglace conditions.:eek::eek:
Lol you have a point and they were all climbing stories, taking a fall on a rope ect. Not much to tell of someone falling off Curved Ridge perhaps as it’s literally one mistake and you’re gone.
Hope you don't mind me dropping a wee vid in of some winter climbing Tom. Good few years ago heading up from the lost valley onto bidean nam bian
pretty bad visibility but plenty of snow. Having done plenty of stuff in the summer, never done this and I’m not sure how I’d be? The thought of avalanches is something that does freak me out.

keirstream

Reaction score
Its WAY more complicated than that, each Buachaille has 2 munros , Beag has Stob Dubh and Stob Coire Raineach. Mor has 2 Munros, Stob Dearg and Stob na Broige but also has 2 Munro Tops Stob Na Doire and Stob Coire Altruim . From your photos it looks like you did Stob Coire Raineach ? the 3rd last picture looks like your looking over to Stob Dubh ?
I know it is but why make it complicated to the folk on here who are only interested in photos?
It was Stob Coire Raineach, the closest one that we did and looking across to Stob Dubh although we were quite happy to get down.
Regardless, the weather was brutal.
Thanks for the correction nevertheless. (y)

Andrew B

Reaction score
Our hills always look better with snow on them.
Don’t they just. In a funny way these pics without the snow can look more brooding and wild imo.
Gotta love the pic of the dog with its coat on, then first one to hog the fire lol. No flies on that one lol