Salney 2019

Rainclouds

Reaction score
Fantastic fish. Thoughts of fish like that beneath the surface keep us all going.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

salmoslaney

Reaction score
Absolute cracker! well done Brian... If that dosen't get people out to wet a line I don't know what will. seems to be a good run of salmon in the river. Any reports from above Bunclody?

nore fly

Reaction score
Nice to see fish been caught...any update on the beat or beats they were caught on ....

Slaneybs

Reaction score
Nice to see fish been caught...any update on the beat or beats they were caught on ....
At the SRT meeting on Friday we heard of fish well spread out along the river. Some members were complaining there were no fish on a particular stretch but then they had only fished for a couple of hours. In fact 2 fish had been caught on that actual stretch.
It is not quick and easy. You need to be out on the water. There were 4 rods out yesterday on one well known stretch and they met nothing. You have to put the hours in. also if you are out the "uninvited guests" will go elsewhere. If you meet or see someone who shouldn’t be there call IFI. They and the Gardai have had a number of successful prosecutions in relation to last year.

Rainclouds

Reaction score
A lot of worm fishing and fish being taken on the river at the moment. I encountered two individuals seperately this evening. Both had hooks bitten off before I got to them. "Fishing the fly same as yourself".

Usual foul mouthed abuse from them. Reported to IFI who were in the area.

Ian Carter

Reaction score
I’m thinking of fishing in Tullow tomorrow. I can’t seem to get though to Tom. I’m using the number from srt site. How would I get a day ticket? And will the river be out of order tomorrow?

Ian Carter

Reaction score
53B601EA-AFC5-4346-B046-83818C74B6AF.jpegI fished the Kildavin stretch today. Lovely water, perfect height and nice and clear. I managed to fish for 9 hours! 2 fish were seen so it’s sounds like a few fish were running.

Last edited:

Rainclouds

Reaction score
Looks like Kilbride, a very nice stretch of water. Haven't seen or encountered anything myself after the opening so hoping the big tides and warmer temperatures will encourage fish to travel.

ardinn

Reaction score
Hi Lads

First time posting here. Ger from Slaney fishing - As above if anyone is looking for trout membership for the Tullow anglers we are open and accepting applications - unfortunately Salmon is full this year, but trout membership will help your case for next year.

I believe I had the first on our water on Thursday, 8.5lbs - my first year fishing for salmon and only my 2nd outing - chuffed beyond belief.

Trout are doing well and seem to be in good numbers and slightly above average size of 8oz for the most part.

If your fishing and need anything give me a call, always plenty of gear in stock for the newbie or experienced angler, plenty of flies, leaders, lines, rods reels etc and deal most brands - Sage, Greys, Airflo, Shakespeare, Redington.... and any bits you might be stuck for - only 15 mins outside bunclody and open pretty much 24/7

Im also the secretary of the Tullow club so give me a shout about applications or anything at all you need.

Ill try keep an eye here and help with info etc about whats happening on the river and in the club.

Its a bit late but we are doing a tour and a bit of fishing on the tullow / ouragh waters today, and powers later on if anyone who is interested in joining would like to attend. Pity I didnt join here earlier. but we will be doing a few of these days for new members over the next few weeks so if you see this in time come along. Meeting in the Ardattin inn at 12pm.

Gerard Mellett - Boom.

Feel free to add me above. - Hope you all have a great year on our river.

Ger - 0894109798

slaneyfishing.com

Last edited:

Rainclouds

Reaction score
Welcome Ger,

Congrats on the first fish. Got off the mark myself last Sunday, one caught and one lost after after about 10 sessions on the river so far this year. They are there but not in numbers.

ardinn

Reaction score
In fairness the numbers are not terrible, Lots of good fish below the weir, and above i have seen up to 5 hooked and missed personally and numerous other stories of fish hooked and escaping. the bulk have run I think now, time to wait for the water to heat up and get the residents moving.

A good dump of warm rain would be absolutely perfect to bring up some fresh fish into the pools and move the rest on.

Last edited:

Rainclouds

Reaction score
If the rain predictions are near accurate, there is a decent flood coming whicb would get the best of the spring run past the seals and through the river. Fished above Enniscorthy this evening, no sign of a any salmon but lost a good sea trout or small grilse, whichdver very early.

Slaneybs

Reaction score
In fairness the numbers are not terrible, Lots of good fish below the weir, and above i have seen up to 5 hooked and missed personally and numerous other stories of fish hooked and escaping.
Which weir are you referring to? Tullow weir?
From what i hear most fish are running straight over or through the Clohamon weir although they have had reasonable fishing. This has been reflected in catches upstream of Clohamon presumably including Tullow.
My experience down stream of Clohamon is that there are very few residents with most of fish landed very fresh (though my opening day fish , only one so far, had been in a while).
Hopefully, from my point of view, if levels drop a bit fresh fish will run more slowly through the lower beats. Typically this coincides with reports of fish at Enniscorthy.

ardinn

Reaction score
Which weir are you referring to? Tullow weir?
From what i hear most fish are running straight over or through the Clohamon weir although they have had reasonable fishing. This has been reflected in catches upstream of Clohamon presumably including Tullow.
My experience down stream of Clohamon is that there are very few residents with most of fish landed very fresh (though my opening day fish , only one so far, had been in a while).
Hopefully, from my point of view, if levels drop a bit fresh fish will run more slowly through the lower beats. Typically this coincides with reports of fish at Enniscorthy.
No clohamon, there has been one caught on the tullow club beats (to our knowledge) and we have a few pools with fish not moving the last while. I hear the wood beat fished well the last couple of weeks, but aside from 1 fish, and a few close encounters our water is very tough fishing at the mo.

ardinn

Reaction score
Another fish caught on powers tonight and 3 lost - seems to be another run through - Its 3am - is it too early to go??? :D

Slaneybs

Reaction score
Nothing has been done to date other than a repair of one hole at the edge of the grill a few years back. Each year since then IFI have carried out a rescue exercise to release migratory fish trapped in the tailrace.
I understand that a lot of work is onging in the background by the Slaney River Trust to get a redesigned grill on the bottom of the tailrace in place and that the project is working its way through the required regulatory hoops. At the SRT AGM they were hopeful of progress in the next 12 months.

rivermist

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply, that's what I thought. Fingers crossed the SRT's work comes to fruition soon.

Slaneybs

Reaction score
Disgusting behaviour from some individual at Aghade Bridge, it beggars believe how people can stoop so low and do something like this .
The pits.
We had a similar problem that lasted for about 2 years. It was a distance below Clohamon and we were getting bags washed up every week, neatly packed and tied up with blue binder twine.
We identified where they were going in and a visit from the County Council to the area looking for help from householders in identifying the outsider responsible and mention of installation of spy cameras put a stop to it.
A bit more difficult with a bridge but well worth a call to the county Councils Litter control officer.