salmon & sea trout reports,tactics & news

reddie

Reaction score
Same on the Bandon. Backend runs in 2009 and 2010 of fresh, sea liced fish, averaging 7-10lb with the real chance of a 20lber, had to be seen to be believed. Hard to imagine now. The beginning of a change in run timing. We just didn't know it.

Bogwoppit

Reaction score
Hi lads, I'm not sure if this is the right place for this question or not. I'm new to salmon fishing. I'm a fly only angler. My local river is the suir. Any suggestions for flies for flies for the suir for the month of September? Thanks.
Try a republican in size 10-12 double.

I was out on Wednesday last week and had 2 on the Suir on that fly, 6lbs and 15lbs. both fish looked like they’d been in the estuary for a little while but moved into the river with the rain.

Pubs

Reaction score
Try a republican in size 10-12 double.

I was out on Wednesday last week and had 2 on the Suir on that fly, 6lbs and 15lbs. both fish looked like they’d been in the estuary for a little while but moved into the river with the rain.
Nice one thanks very much for the info Bogwoppit.

Pubs

Reaction score
Where will you be fishing?
I'm heading to Carrick in the morning. I mostly fish further upstream near golden just because its close to where I live and I know that part of the river inside out from years of trout fishing and fly fishing for pike around there.

flytryer

Reaction score

Nore Angler

Reaction score
Nice fish from the Blackwater

Cracking fish.

GeeBee

Reaction score
Yep, amazing fish.

A shame that beat is no longer day ticket. It was very rare not to catch at least one fish there.

Ian Carter

Reaction score
Had a day on the Blackwater yesterday. Conditions were good with a 1ft rise after 3 weeks of a dry spell. Fishing was slow at first but as the day grew darker and cloudy the fishing picked up. I lost a 6lb fish at the net, landed a 1/2lb sea trout, landed a 6lb non-fresh salmon and a 2lb sea trout. Nothing fresh but great fishing considering the time of year. Nice way to end an amasing year of fishing for me.

I would recommend Fort William in Lismore all day long. Only 1 blank day in 6 days is a great record.

Bogwoppit

Reaction score
All over now for another year, how was everyone’s season?

I fished 11 days and had 13 fish including 3 doubles. Only had 2 blank days so not bad for me.

Woodsy

Reaction score
I had 10 full days and a few late evenings when arriving down. Landed 5. Happy with the season but it was far from any great run people keep mentioning

boomdocker

Reaction score
Best year I've had in a long time on the Slaney, hit more salmon than in the previous few years put together and both the sea trout and brown trout fishing was great all through the summer. Weather pattern definitely helped and hopefully, maybe we are seeing a bit of a recovery in the salmon run. Will never be as good as years ago but at least we seem to be moving out of the doldrums of the late 90's, 2000's

nore fly

Reaction score
Autumn run was bad for me on the nore ...one fish and one hooked and lost ....seen a few fish on facebook sites being called fresh autumn fish .but they looked like crocodiles...had a good may June july but my catches fell of a cliff then .....

Last edited:

reddie

Reaction score
Happy with my season on the Bandon but it had its challenges with conditions and Covid. Signs that April, May and June fish numbers running the river held up relatively well but hard to accurately assess with Covid. Fishing took off in July with very god grilse numbers in pristine condition, averaging 5-7lb. August fished well and as was predicted based on previous recent seasons, numbers of fresh fish reduced from the beginning of the 3rd week. This paired with dour fish meant fishing was quite tough. September saw a couple fresh fish caught but the river dropped to low levels and fishing effort was drastically reduced as a result. Personally, had some very nice fishing on the Suir when the Bandon dropped to low levels. A very welcome and appreciated 2nd option to have when the Bandon isn't quite right!!

simonjh98

Reaction score
Incredible season so far, I've had 2 trips since August where I've not hooked a fish. River is just inundated with fish but unfortunately nothing fresh. Last week I landed 2 on Monday , 2 fish landed on Wednesday , 1 on Thursday evening and 7 on Saturday . 69 to the net for the season and 15 days to go. Sounds like a dramatic number of fish but I do fish 3 or 4 evenings a week after work :)

Have a week to take off from work for the 13th-20th so I'm looking forward to that final week!

Tight lines everyone for the last weeks on the Foyle System

Last edited: