salmon & sea trout reports,tactics & news

nore fly

Reaction score
Had a fish on the Blackwater about 3lb...not as many fish showing .....meet this little fellow ....pigmy shrew...

Attachments

• 20200714_170548.jpg
    20200714_170548.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 78

simonjh98

Reaction score
Having a decent year too albeit the late start. 19 Hooked so far and most well up the Foyle system. July has been a great month so far.
Doing well stripping flies fast with pools full of fresh fish

Ian Carter

Reaction score
Just back from a 2 day trip to the Erriff again. Beat 9 was full of fish again in the high water but the rest of the river looked very quiet in the 3 sessions I had upriver. 4 sea trout were a bonus, lost a decent salmon on beat 9 but managed a small fish 10 minutes later. I love the system they have up there: catch and release BUT take a pic of your catch and they will give you a frozen fish they farmed themselves. Win Win. Bit frustrating they only allow a dozen people fish the river at any one time. It could easily take twice that and reduce the cost from the €75 they charge now.

RNI-Films-IMG-2B6C509B-A096-4FC1-BD31-1CF90F50ABB2.JPG

GeeBee

Reaction score
Great fishing ian.erriff valley is fab and not to far from klymore either..was it in spate.your in the catch zone now . the moy is special too..when you find the areas away from the canal sections your on fantastic water ..I am fishing it since the 90s and still finding gems on it. ..keep the reports coming in...speaking of the Blackwater..who manages scariff above ballyhooly bridge now ..last fished it in 1998...i was on the side by a ruin if I remember correctly..cant remember if it was peter Dempster or merrie green or ian Powell.

In 1998 that would have been Merrie. She took over Peter's beats when he went to Dublin i think.

He had some lovely beats - Ballyhooly Castle, the one below Bridgetown Abbey with the House Pool etc.

Ive had both trips across cancelled now. Which is crap, but we have had big runs of salmon and sea trout in the last week here on the Isle of Man, so maybe i'll get a fish here.

Ian Carter

Reaction score
Just had a couple of days on the Blackwater in Lismore in a high falling spate (blue square in the pic). I got the impression that it was going to be the last chance before all the rain closed the river. I had a spinner in the water for 11 hours but only managed a brief handshake with a 2lb fish on a downstream toby.

Saw a few fish but they looked like they were there for a while and not running. Looks like the big run of fish this year has passed, cant complain though as it was a good one!

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-08-21 at 09.56.02.png
    Screenshot 2020-08-21 at 09.56.02.png
    77 KB · Views: 78

Bogwoppit

Reaction score
Had 3 fish in a morning on the Suir just before this rain, best 13lbs.

Might fish Monday or Tuesday if it clears up.

Fish Tracker

Reaction score
What water level will the Blackwater need to fall to for the lower sections (Cappoquin, Lismore) to start fishing?

Ian Carter

Reaction score
What water level will the Blackwater need to fall to for the lower sections (Cappoquin, Lismore) to start fishing?

The castle beat at Lismore stated to look fishable at 0.6 on Ballyduff gauge in coloured water. The gillie told me as long as it’s clear it can fish well from 1m. The footpath by the river was flooded at 1m so to me it looked out of order until it fell to 0.6

Bogwoppit

Reaction score
Looks like a good bit more rain due on Monday night so if it’s not fishable Monday then it will probably be the end of the week.

Bogwoppit

Reaction score
The Suir was in good condition yesterday for the spinner, had one about 14/15 on my first cast and another about 4 a few casts later. Only a small sea trout after that.
River is well up again today and won’t fish until next week.

Ian Carter

Reaction score
The Suir was in good condition yesterday for the spinner, had one about 14/15 on my first cast and another about 4 a few casts later. Only a small sea trout after that.
River is well up again today and won’t fish until next week.

I was on the Nore yesterday 8.30am - 7pm but blanked. Was chatting with 3 others that met a fish or 2 but nothing landed. Conditions were totally perfect. Funny how the Suir is doing so well but the Nore is struggling.

Coin

Reaction score
Is the Ballyduff House stretch available for fishing at all on the Nore or is it good water?

reddie

Reaction score
Some fresh fish still running the Bandon with a few caught on Sunday to 7lb. Are fresh fish still being met in other rivers or has the run slowed down?

Nore Angler

Reaction score
Is the Ballyduff House stretch available for fishing at all on the Nore or is it good water?
Kilkenny anglers have the opposite side of it. Don't know how you go about getting on the Ballyduff house stretch. It's quite deep around there. Don't know how much water ballyduff has.

Nore Angler

Reaction score
Some fresh fish still running the Bandon with a few caught on Sunday to 7lb. Are fresh fish still being met in other rivers or has the run slowed down?
It would be interesting to know that reddie, as the autumn run has collapsed over the last few years.

FaughanPurple

Reaction score
Odd fresh fish around but mostly older fish getting caught.

A back end run would be the cherry on the cake tbh

Attachments

• 20200823_121433.jpg
    20200823_121433.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 75

reddie

Reaction score
VideoCapture_20200823-181822-01.jpeg

As fresh as I could manage on Sunday!! ? Fish mostly dour as per usual for August. Few fresh fish still coming. Seems to have slowed down compared to 2 to 3 weeks ago but hard to gauge just now with all this water. A run of fresh September fish would be amazing and could well happen ?

Bogwoppit

Reaction score
I was on the Nore yesterday 8.30am - 7pm but blanked. Was chatting with 3 others that met a fish or 2 but nothing landed. Conditions were totally perfect. Funny how the Suir is doing so well but the Nore is struggling.
That’s a bit surprising alright, I’ve had 4 sessions on the Suir with only 2 of those being full dayS due to lockdown and work.
Only 1 blank day, 1 day had a fresh fish of about 8lbs, another day had 3 fish (2 of 6-7lbs and a 13lb) all very fresh. Then Monday’s fish.
The runs have been great and the river is full of fish, I don’t know if any will be there after this flood or if they’ll all have run through.

Attachments

• E3B1CE2B-A0E6-4036-9A2C-817D34AF206F.jpeg
    E3B1CE2B-A0E6-4036-9A2C-817D34AF206F.jpeg
    937.4 KB · Views: 75
  • 9995753A-D70E-414F-8BF1-F6B9E8678072.jpeg
    9995753A-D70E-414F-8BF1-F6B9E8678072.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 73
  • 3D3AB2C7-A7B5-44B8-A839-383FF525B7A3.jpeg
    3D3AB2C7-A7B5-44B8-A839-383FF525B7A3.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 69

Pubs

Reaction score
Hi lads, I'm not sure if this is the right place for this question or not. I'm new to salmon fishing. I'm a fly only angler. My local river is the suir. Any suggestions for flies for flies for the suir for the month of September? Thanks.

reddie

Reaction score
Hi lads, I'm not sure if this is the right place for this question or not. I'm new to salmon fishing. I'm a fly only angler. My local river is the suir. Any suggestions for flies for flies for the suir for the month of September? Thanks.

Try sparsely tied orange/red/purple Ally Shrimps, gold bodied Willie Gunns, Stoats Tail, Snaeldas, Francis. Tied on small half inch tubes or double hooks in sz 10 to 14 and you won't go too far wrong.

Pubs

Reaction score
Try sparsely tied orange/red/purple Ally Shrimps, gold bodied Willie Gunns, Stoats Tail, Snaeldas, Francis. Tied on small half inch tubes or double hooks in sz 10 to 14 and you won't go too far wrong.
Nice one. Thanks Reddie