salmon & sea trout reports,tactics & news

nore fly

Reaction score
The irish section of this forum has really dropped off in the last few years ..very little in the way off reports and news ...is there anyway we can make it any better ...we have little to no reports or stories coming from irish rivers and loughs ,and no imput from sea trout fishermen in ireland ...is it time we just have a thread with just chat /reports rather then specific rivers ...for example we have no imput from the mighty cork Blackwater, suir, boyne,Laune, galway weir, I could keep going ....any ideas or thoughts...
To kick things off I have caught a few fish over the last 3 weeks on the nore..15lb 11lb 9lb 3lb and lost a massive fish around the 20lb ..it took me down to the braid twice .the reel burned my fingers..and came out of the water into mid air only like a fish with a paddle for a tail could ..it flicked its tail and went air borne side ways ...all released .....

Ian Carter

Reaction score
Im having a great season. Went up to the Erriff recently and meet 5 fish, landed 1 6lb on the fly (my first). What a river! I usually travel up to the canal known as the river Moy but I convinced myself to drive the extra hour to the Erriff. I kept thinking to myself as I entered the valleys "I dont need Norway anymore". Packed with fish!

IMG_0795.JPG

The next weekend I fished the Blackwater in Lismore. Packed with big fresh fish again. Had 3 salmon that day, 2 of them over 10lb which I have never managed before. I normally land 2-3 fish in a season but I have met 8 already this year in the first 2 weeks. I guess the 10 weeks of drought has something to do with it.

IMG_0902.JPG

Woodsy

Reaction score
I also see this section of the forum is be a lot quieter. There are a few facebook groups which I think people use more often
However I find this forum a great resource to search through and when there is discussion it's usually more detailed on this. The groups have there place too but there seems a lot of fighting on them too

nore fly

Reaction score
Great fishing ian.erriff valley is fab and not to far from klymore either..was it in spate.your in the catch zone now . the moy is special too..when you find the areas away from the canal sections your on fantastic water ..I am fishing it since the 90s and still finding gems on it. ..keep the reports coming in...speaking of the Blackwater..who manages scariff above ballyhooly bridge now ..last fished it in 1998...i was on the side by a ruin if I remember correctly..cant remember if it was peter Dempster or merrie green or ian Powell.

the duck

Reaction score
I managed to get my first outing of the year yesterday evening up the river finn. It was brilliant just to get an evening out in the water to take the recent stress of work away. And to make things better I landed a nice fish of around 8 or 9lbs from the corner pool. And lost one as well. Nothing beats being out on the water.

nore fly

Reaction score
Steady fishing on the Blackwater this past 2-3 weeks, getting them to stick is tricky but landed 8 from 17 hooked to somewhere around 12-14lbs.
Hi p..that's nice fishing ...what methods are you using ...would you know who runs scraiff beat above ballyhooly bridge ...

Chicharito

Reaction score
The irish section of this forum has really dropped off in the last few years ..very little in the way off reports and news ...is there anyway we can make it any better ...we have little to no reports or stories coming from irish rivers and loughs ,and no imput from sea trout fishermen in ireland ...is it time we just have a thread with just chat /reports rather then specific rivers ...for example we have no imput from the mighty cork Blackwater, suir, boyne,Laune, galway weir, I could keep going ....any ideas or thoughts...
To kick things off I have caught a few fish over the last 3 weeks on the nore..15lb 11lb 9lb 3lb and lost a massive fish around the 20lb ..it took me down to the braid twice .the reel burned my fingers..and came out of the water into mid air only like a fish with a paddle for a tail could ..it flicked its tail and went air borne side ways ...all released .....
I am missing out on my usual Ballynahinch Castle trip this year.
Nigel Rush hasn't posted much recently for that part of the world!
Good to hear some good reports from other rivers though.
Hopefully I will be back next year!

Petekd

Reaction score
Hi p..that's nice fishing ...what methods are you using ...would you know who runs scraiff beat above ballyhooly bridge ...
No idea who has that beat I’m afraid. Twitched Apaches and small Willie Gunn’s doing most of the damage. Odd one to a small park shrimp too. 2 more landed last night fresh off the tide and one dropped when I nipped down for an hour or two earlier this afternoon (small sparsely tied Willie Gunn variants). Will be giving it a rattle again in the morning.

Rainclouds

Reaction score
Just back yesterday from the Moy. I fished East Mayo on Friday which was high and rising. I managed one fish of about 5 pounds late in the day after ditching an intermediate head for a floater. The river was rising fast again shortly after that. One fish was about average for the day and there were a lot of rods out.

Yesterday East Mayo was out due to high water. Before heading home I fished for a couple of hours upriver in County Sligo where the river was dropping to a nice level for the fly. I had another fresh 5 pound fish in the first couple of casts and nothing in the next two hours before heading home.

nore fly

Reaction score
Great reports lads ..nice to hear the river ,the tactics of what lines ,flies ,lures etc you are using ...keep the reports coming ...I was out today on the nore for an hour today and found this guy ...it was well eaten ....and great to see the ifi doing a patrol on the estuary...

Attachments

• 20200705_120723.jpg
    20200705_120723.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 72

fishingharry

Reaction score
Im having a great season. Went up to the Erriff recently and meet 5 fish, landed 1 6lb on the fly (my first). What a river! I usually travel up to the canal known as the river Moy but I convinced myself to drive the extra hour to the Erriff. I kept thinking to myself as I entered the valleys "I dont need Norway anymore". Packed with fish!

View attachment 46704

The next weekend I fished the Blackwater in Lismore. Packed with big fresh fish again. Had 3 salmon that day, 2 of them over 10lb which I have never managed before. I normally land 2-3 fish in a season but I have met 8 already this year in the first 2 weeks. I guess the 10 weeks of drought has something to do with it.

View attachment 46705
Two nice fish?It sounds like a good season...an we cant come over. The first time in nearly 30 years?Two questions : What about this pink thing on the line and does tags not needed this special Year? ?

FaughanPurple

Reaction score
I Really only started fishing this week and have made contact with fish every session bar 1.. tail grabbing hard running fish on good constant water levels seems to be the craic at the moment... only 2 landed but I'd rather be hitting them and losing them than not hitting them at all... bit of heat and a settled river now and we can see what the Trout situ is like.

Most fish seem to be in tip top shape too.. good average size...

Woodsy

Reaction score
Just back yesterday from the Moy. I fished East Mayo on Friday which was high and rising. I managed one fish of about 5 pounds late in the day after ditching an intermediate head for a floater. The river was rising fast again shortly after that. One fish was about average for the day and there were a lot of rods out.

Yesterday East Mayo was out due to high water. Before heading home I fished for a couple of hours upriver in County Sligo where the river was dropping to a nice level for the fly. I had another fresh 5 pound fish in the first couple of casts and nothing in the next two hours before heading home.
You done well in that water! I had an hour on friday evening on the fly and almost a full day on Saturday but i just couldn't get down to the fish with the flow. I did manage 3 spinning and worming but would have loved better conditions for the fly. What did you get them on?

Rainclouds

Reaction score
Hi Woodsy,
You were unlucky with the timing. Thursday was a good day from most accounts. Nice you had a couple of fish too. I thought Saturday looked hopeless for the fly due to the high water and I'm an optimist. I was going to cancel due to an uplift in the rain forecast but decided to take a chance when I had a chance with the year that is.

I thought the water was too dirty at Ballintemple on Friday but the Gweestion was running clearer which made conditions slightly better at the bottom section opposite Clongee. Fish were caught however on the fly only section above the Gweestion.20200706_225304.jpg

I usually fish shrimp flies and met one rod who had two on a Bann special earlier on Friday. I have been leaning towards the effectiveness of scandi flies in higher water from my experience last season. Above is what did the trick. A monkey winged fly (that I ironically posted in a low water fly thread in the fly tying section) and a Pahtakorva with copper drainer disc.

Great to hear how others are getting on and great to meet other rods on the bank.

Woodsy

Reaction score
Hi Woodsy,
You were unlucky with the timing. Thursday was a good day from most accounts. Nice you had a couple of fish too. I thought Saturday looked hopeless for the fly due to the high water and I'm an optimist. I was going to cancel due to an uplift in the rain forecast but decided to take a chance when I had a chance with the year that is.

I thought the water was too dirty at Ballintemple on Friday but the Gweestion was running clearer which made conditions slightly better at the bottom section opposite Clongee. Fish were caught however on the fly only section above the Gweestion.View attachment 46900

I usually fish shrimp flies and met one rod who had two on a Bann special earlier on Friday. I have been leaning towards the effectiveness of scandi flies in higher water from my experience last season. Above is what did the trick. A monkey winged fly (that I ironically posted in a low water fly thread in the fly tying section) and a Pahtakorva with copper drainer disc.

Great to hear how others are getting on and great to meet other rods on the bank.
Nice looking flies, I was using a small park tube and then went up to a 1inch copper willie gunn, could probably have done with a 2inch tube lol. Yes all I heard was thursday was a great day but I couldn't get down until late friday. I did met a few on ballintmeple on Saturday who had connected with fish on the fly but they were the only ones I heard of. I'm back down Friday week so let's hope there are still fish running and water is a little better for the fly

Ian Carter

Reaction score
?Two questions : What about this pink thing on the line and does tags not needed this special Year? ?

The river was high and stained so I like to use bright colours and heavy flies. The pink is just the tube extension to seat the hook. Had 4 take it that day so it did the trick.
And yeah I don’t use tags as it’s easier to sell the fish to some lad then. JOKE!

nore fly

Reaction score
Was on the Blackwater today ...nice colour on it .and fresh fishing showing all day ....seen 3 fish landed ..all fresh grilse ...

Ian Carter

Reaction score
Had 6 hours on the Nore on Sunday. Perfect conditions but I didnt manage to tempt any salmon. Saw one guy hooked and lost a grilse. Any reports from the Nore?

Last edited:

Riverfree

Reaction score
Was on the Nore Friday evening and a few hours Sunday, lovely height and colour but no luck! Back down in August