salmon , sea trout or hybrid

wormo

Reaction score
morning all,
heres a fish im a bit stumped with and can't make my mind up what it is , head looks trouty, tail looks of a salmon spots kind of farmer like but condition of the fish doesn't look like a farmer at all, it was on a website for the river strathy up on the north coast

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210802-233350_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20210802-233350_Samsung Internet.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 585

Scierra

Reaction score
Hybrid, I reckon ?
I have grassed 2 ,one in the 80's 1 @ 10lbs I thought it was a micro tagged seatrout ? but Northumbrian Water fisheries sent me the results back off the scales and micro tagged head I provided , stating it was a salmon, the fish was a beaut and very heavily spotted .
1999 grassed another of 7lbs very similar markings as the pic above

D

Deleted member 21851

I'd go for sea trout.
The tail isn't forked (or it wouldn't be in the water), spots below the lateral line and the jaw thingy whatwver it is called is behind the eye.

Rennie

Reaction score
Mmmmm, hard call indeed that one, tails not quite right for either fish, concave suggests Salar, thick wrist says S/T, Spots are not quite one nor the other, head and eye are a 50/50% call too.
I'd say a hybrid even a very well mended escapee from last year. It's not spankingly fresh, but it's something I've not had even a pull from this season so congrats to the captor.
In all honesty, I'd say its a call for the chaps in white coats to make,I can't 100% place it.
Pedro.

Rainclouds

Reaction score
First thought for me was sea trout. Scales look s bit big and spots are irregular like a salmon even though the overall pattern looks sea trout. My money is on hybrid.

kinnaber

Reaction score
Salmon for me , albeit heavily spotted . The lilac blush probably the deciding factor . In my experience sea-trout usually darken before becoming more trout like ?

Andrew B

Reaction score
If Hybrids exist then I’d say this one bears all the hallmarks of one. I don’t think it’s a farmer imo?

Horsbrugh

Reaction score
Having seen a cast of a hybrid caught on the Tweed, which was a rather strange looking thing. My money, given the abundance of spots, would be on a salmon of farmed origin. The fins are certainly not like a farmed fish but given how stocked rainbows can turn into fin perfect examples, given time, it is perfectly possible, that an escape salmon would end up the same after a few months in open water.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 21851

Mouth open so maxilla looks 50:50, close the mouth it will be clearer the maxilla is behind the eye. Tail folded a bit in the middle, opened up it would be flat imo.

I thought the lilac colouring was a trick of the light.

Could easily be wrong though.

greenlaner2009

Reaction score
Hybrid, I reckon ?
I have grassed 2 ,one in the 80's 1 @ 10lbs I thought it was a micro tagged seatrout ? but Northumbrian Water fisheries sent me the results back off the scales and micro tagged head I provided , stating it was a salmon, the fish was a beaut and very heavily spotted .
1999 grassed another of 7lbs very similar markings as the pic above
Please explain how you believe you caught a hybrid when it was confirmed by northumbrian waters fisheries as a stockie salmon.

Oscar

Reaction score
I’d say salmon based on colour and face! Also looks to have a ‘wrist’ on the tail.

Interesting one though.

Oscar.

reelit1

Reaction score
morning all,
heres a fish im a bit stumped with and can't make my mind up what it is , head looks trouty, tail looks of a salmon spots kind of farmer like but condition of the fish doesn't look like a farmer at all, it was on a website for the river strathy up on the north coast
I thought I gave you a good answer to be going on using 50 years of experience, LOL.

Andrew B

Reaction score
If pushed I’d a say a sea trout but if Hybrids do exist and it’s hard not imagine that they do exist, then to my eye, this fish does exhibit traits from both.
Some comments have perplexed me somewhat, ie having a lilac sheen?
I think I caught these three fish on the same night? The top one has a “lilac sheen” indicating it had been in freshwater for a few weeks maybe? The second fish down caused me to panic as it was caught before June 16th and after administering the last rights, in the black of night I thought I’d killed a Grilse as the tail isn’t flat as you can see in the pic? It is a sea trout though nonetheless.
I don’t know if it’s just me, but it’s always appeared to me that Salmon have smaller scales, albeit the fish shown from the Strathy is not super fresh, which can make it somewhat harder to tell.

I’ve not seen enough farmed fish as some on here so I certainly wouldn’t wanna argue that fact but I don’t get the farmer vibe.

Attachments

• DC1959A0-8FC4-4FB2-BE76-D1C574110C5E.jpeg
    DC1959A0-8FC4-4FB2-BE76-D1C574110C5E.jpeg
    951.8 KB · Views: 247