Salmon, sea trout or brown trout

Crolla95

Reaction score
Hi looking for some info.

Was fishing my local river just before dark and noticed about 3-4 fish heading up river from a shallow stream into the deeper water creating a V in the water then swirling, They weren’t rising to flies. Wondering if anyone has any ideas what fish they could’ve been. Thanks.

Hardyreels

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
If you couldn't see them all you have is the wake to go on but many times where I live those would be salmon. If your local river gets Atlantic salmon then I'll stay hopeful and say you saw some.

T7

Reaction score
Would guess sea trout considering the low water most rivers have got but you never know

Crolla95

Reaction score
Salmon and sea trout run the river, hard to explain the size of v but I’m sure I’ve seen brown trout do that and the v has been a lot Smaller/finer. I put a sedge on and fished it like a surface lure to see if they would take it, one Headed towards the fly creating a v theN swirled at.

Rennie

Reaction score
In most rivers Old White Lips (Chub) will be going through the process of spawning, so they'll like as not be in the gravelly runs performing their rituals and getting fruity!.In the low water most rivers are experiencing Salar will be doing their migrating when the light falls away, once the suns off the water they'll start to move, hasten to add that could only be fish already present in the river!, and as we all know its prime Sea Trout time too!.
Highly likely that was Salmon or Sea Trout, cant see a number of better Brownies together in a pool tail where they'd be particularly vulnerable !.
I've had fish almost knock me over this time of year in the pool tails in lower water after the suns got down and the lights fading, some big fish too-as long as there's water enough for them to move.Lower the water and the less Salmon about, the more likely it was Sea Trout.
Get stuck in then!,Pedro.

Oscar

Reaction score
I had a similar experience once when fishing the Water of Ken. Was trying for trout, but when it got dark all hell broke loose, and there were fish making their way through the shallows frequently. One sounded huge, and I wasn't even sure it couldn't have been an otter. If it was a fish it was well into double figures by the splashes it was making.

Pretty sure the WoK has salmon and sea trout, but it is heavily dammed for hydro so not too sure.

Oscar.

Rennie

Reaction score
The current conditions most rivers will be in leads to a no sleep scenario!, best times to fish are an hour each side of dusk and then again dawn!
Dusk is a nice time to be about, it's easy but like as not there's other anglers about.
I'll have the dawn shot every time, its harder work for sure, how many want to get out of bed at 3am, or even earlier? and like as not you'll be solitary, most folks early shot is 7am!, I'm having breakky with a smile on my face by then!.Honestly the 3:30 am (at the moment, that'll get earlier!) shot is what you want!, in the 1/2 light between dawn and sun up!
Pedro.

Occasional salmon fisher

Reaction score
Haven't fished early in the morning for years ! Have some fond memries of it though. A few times years ago fished through the night for seatrout as the river slowly lit up. Great time of day to see wildlife, particularly otters. Also a great time to see fish showing.