Salmon or Sea Trout?!

Oscar

Reaction score
Hi All,

Time to settle a minor dispute! A friend caught this today, and reckons a samon (about 4lb).

Another mate is sure it's a sea trout.

I am in 2 minds. Colouration and 'spottyness' screams sea trout, but tail, wrist and maxilla all say salmon!

Salmon_SeaTrout.jpg

I await comments with interest!

Oscar.

Wee-Eck

Reaction score
Its a seatrout just pull the tail straight. Everything else says seatrout.

spawny

Reaction score
Hi All,

Time to settle a minor dispute! A friend caught this today, and reckons a samon (about 4lb).

Another mate is sure it's a sea trout.

I am in 2 minds. Colouration and 'spottyness' screams sea trout, but tail, wrist and maxilla all say salmon!

View attachment 39973

I await comments with interest!

Oscar.
Sea trout. Good clear picture.

westie4566

Reaction score
As above, seatrout! Wouldn't even have a nano second of a second thought with that one.

Nice fish either way, well done to the captor!

Softlad

Reaction score
Where is it possible to fish sea trout at this time of year, how long does the season run.

Rennie

Reaction score
Soft lad, many rivers are now closed, the few that are still open won't have long to stay open and will have Sea Trout stocks well past their best and really should be left alone.
The best of the Sea Trout fishing could be said to be May onwards, peaking June/July for the best quality fish(freshest!), some rivers still have fresh fish until Sept., but after that you'll be very very lucky to get a fresh one and most fish will get blacker and blacker as the season go's on, in fact in some rivers they'll be cutting redds and starting the spawning rituals now.
Wait until next year, most rivers have their biggest specimens run early in the season in March/April/May, far worthier of your attentions.
Pedro.

Westcountry

Reaction score
Soft lad, many rivers are now closed, the few that are still open won't have long to stay open and will have Sea Trout stocks well past their best and really should be left alone.
The best of the Sea Trout fishing could be said to be May onwards, peaking June/July for the best quality fish(freshest!), some rivers still have fresh fish until Sept., but after that you'll be very very lucky to get a fresh one and most fish will get blacker and blacker as the season go's on, in fact in some rivers they'll be cutting redds and starting the spawning rituals now.
Wait until next year, most rivers have their biggest specimens run early in the season in March/April/May, far worthier of your attentions.
Pedro.
I'd go along with that but there are still a few silver ones about right to the end of October. I used to get a few in Devon right up to closing day on the few rivers that stayed open until Oct 31st and on South Uist I used to get firm silver ones all through October. But it is true enough there were lots of coloured ones as well but even so I would still fish for them until the end if there was a chance of a good 'un.
We have enough restrictions on us as it is without lopping bits of the season off ourselves, but each to their own on that.

Andy

Softlad

Reaction score
Thanks the season here in Ireland peaks in June July also finished last day of September though, but I was wondering as original post has a nice fish in middle of October. Maybe silliest of questions, is it not possible to catch sea trout at sea or at the mouth of the estuary.

Last edited:

Westcountry

Reaction score
Maybe silliest of questions, is it not possible to catch sea trout at sea.
You can in the right place, first find your sea trout!
I don't know what the law in Ireland is with regard to the seasons and fishing in the sea but in England & Wales and Scotland generally speaking the season for them in the sea is the same as the season in the rivers in the same district. That said you can find lots of people who will argue with that although I believe they are all wrong!

Andy