Salmon Novice Set-Up North East

Slandteacher

Reaction score
Have made decision after 35 years of fishing to finally have a go for migratory fish. Have flyfished for 30+ years solely on stillwaters but have made decision to have a go on the river. Have joined a club with water on a few NE rivers but will probably be concentrating on my local River Wear and River Till (nearer our static).
After a long chat with the head bailiff he has advised a switch set up as the most suitable for their waters. Making a trip over to John Norris tomorrow. Any recommendations for rod ( and reel/line)? My thoughts before heading over are to have a good look at the Oracle rods. I know they are cheap but to get me into it without spending too much they look ideal.

Rrrr

Reaction score
Hard to go wrong with an oracle switch. Not just because of the price but they are a briliant little rod. Not tried the new ones yet but im sure they will keeo you right at john norris.

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

ian74

Reaction score
Depends on your budget!
They have an ex-demo LPXe switch for £252. (y)
Too expensive… get a cheaper reel and line to compensate!
If necessary upgrade them at a later date, in the knowledge you’ve still got a top class rod.

MCXFisher

Reaction score
Shakespeare didn't get to be the market leader at the economy end of the market by selling bad gear. The Oracle is unbeatable at the money and is a nice easy casting rod well suited to novices. Norris will see you right with the correctly balanced line.

Only consider paying more if you have a substantially bigger budget and are fully committed to salmon fishing long term.

RUSH

Reaction score
There’s nothing wrong with the oracle switch at all don’t spend a lot of money on stuff when you might not like it if you do then upgrade a bit at a time good luck it can become very addictive 😁😂😂

Slandteacher

Reaction score
Depends on your budget!
If necessary upgrade them at a later date, in the knowledge you’ve still got a top class rod.
Saw that. Will have a look.

Lewiswearfisher

Reaction score
Shakespeare didn't get to be the market leader at the economy end of the market by selling bad gear. The Oracle is unbeatable at the money and is a nice easy casting rod well suited to novices. Norris will see you right with the correctly balanced line.

Only consider paying more if you have a substantially bigger budget and are fully committed to salmon fishing long term.
Great advice, the new oracle 2 range, rods reels, will see you right. Guys up there will sort you out 👍🎣

Lewiswearfisher

Reaction score
Depends on your budget!
Bloody cheap as chips that switch, ex-demo so it's mint condition too. Literally 50% off

hackler

Reaction score
My advice when starting off is to do what I didn't, go cheap but decent. I wasted a lot of money buying kit that was not right for the rivers I was fishing and being tempted to spend too much at the outset.

Later on buy whatever you like, but start conservatively.

Oracles have consistently been given the thumbs up here by people who know what they are talking about.

Make sure you keep your 10ft still water rods for those rivers as well though, especially the Till.

Good luck

Tees88

Reaction score
As already mentioned the Oracle switch will see you right, it really is a great outfit for the price. I prefer the heavier rating one in the 8/9 as I was using it more for Salmon. The 6/7 is a little bit stealthier & more suited to Sea trout imo, but it will still handle Salmon. The matching line is meant to be pretty good or the Barrio switch is what a lot of people opt for. However, there has been recent stock issues with Mike changing to a different supplier.

Another setup that a friend has is the Guideline ULS, which is a fantastic bit of kit. It's more expensive, but one I'd recommend for the future or anyone else looking for a nice switch setup.