Salmon from a bridge

lefthandup

Reaction score
I'm not sure how many on here have caught a salmon from a bridge before..but it happened to me one morning ..a quite unbelievable moment I'll never forget even though it is illegal.

I was out one morning nymphing for trout as salmon were scarce with low water prevailing for long periods.

I was heading home and always have a look over this bridge especially when at this time of the morning the light hit it right.

To my surprise I saw 4 salmon laying and good ones too.
I decided to see if I could cover them and with the good light watch any reaction to my tiny nymph .

I tried to film whilst casting ..but was finding it difficult to do both...so I switched the camera off. ..but did get some film footage
just before the excitement started.
Salmon on the nymph (part 1) - YouTube

After a few casts I managed to cover the fish perfectly. ..I was stunned to watch the biggest of the 4 tilt it's fins and move what looked like towards my fly...I then saw the white of its mouth and my line stopped. ...I lifted in and the fish was unbelievably hooked
so I switched the camera back on.

Salmon on the nymph (part 2) - YouTube

I've caught many many salmon but this one had me shaking...and after a while...thinking.
Twice it went under the bridge and several times I heard it explode out the water...it was still on.
After playing for 10 mins or so I felt the salmon was tiring this was maybe due to the angle I was playing it from because my rod is only 8ft and a 4 # with 4lbs breading strain.
Anyhow my plan was to strip off all the line and throw the rod down into the hogweed and brush below...I did that and at pace run round and scrambled through ...it took me about 5 or 6 mins to get round.

I got round and found the rod and tightened up....the salmon had seemingly sat quite happily with no pressure on the line I would say back in its original lye...this last clip is the end result. ..I couldn't believe it. ....
Salmon on the nymph (part 3) - YouTube

Last edited:

rm100

Reaction score
I'm not sure how many on here have caught a salmon from a bridge before..but it happened to me one morning ..a quite unbelievable moment I'll never forget even though it is illegal.

I was out one morning nymphing for trout as salmon were scarce with low water prevailing for long periods.

I was heading home and always have a look over this bridge especially when at this time of the morning the light hit it right.

I decided to see if I could cover them and with the good light watch any reaction to my tiny nymph .

I tried to film whilst casting ..but was finding it difficult to do both...so I switched the camera off. ..but did get some film footage

After a few casts I managed to cover the fish perfectly. ..I was stunned to watch the biggest of the 4 tilt it's fins and move what looked like towards my fly...I then saw the white of its mouth and my line stopped. ...I lifted in and the fish was unbelievably hooked

I've caught many many salmon but this one had me shaking...and after a while...thinking.
Twice it went under the bridge and several times I heard it explode out the water...it was still on.
After playing for 10 mins or so I felt the salmon was tiring this was maybe due to the angle I was playing it from because my rod is only 8ft and a 4 # with 4lbs breading strain.
Anyhow my plan was to strip off all the line and throw the rod down into the hogweed and brush below...I did that and at pace run round and scrambled through ...it took me about 5 or 6 mins to get round.

I got round and found the rod and tightened up....the salmon had seemingly sat quite happily with no pressure on the line I would say back in its original lye...this last clip is the end result. ..I couldn't believe it. ....

Excellent

AlanT

Reaction score
Theres a place I fish for sea trout that is an old mill wall. Its about 10 to 12 feet above the water. An awkward place to fish but you can see so much.

I know for definite that at least twice the amount of fish follow my fly than actually take it, something you'd never know in normal circumstances. Its amazing to watch them follow the fly then turn away, so agile in the water, masters of the current.

Ive had some great days where Ive not actually caught anything but have seen half a dozen fish follow my fly. Normally I'd head home thinking there no fish around.

You were probably shaking cos you tried something daft like what you would have done as a lad and it worked!

Last edited:

long Preston

Reaction score
seen it done several times-a certain bridge over a famous lancashire river that often has a couple of dozen fish lying visible from the bridge deck -by casting a fly and letting the current take the belly of line downstream the fly-always a tiny tube was pulled downstream at pace over the fish. Its a sight to behold watching half a dozen salmon chase the fly and as the fly straightens out the belly below the bridge one of them gets hold. as in the video above they invariably run upstream under the bridge and you have little choice other than dropping the rod down , climbing down after it and hoping the fish is still on. I never did it myself but watching the reaction of the fish was always amazing

Occasional salmon fisher

Reaction score
Exciting way to catch a salmon ! I have caught trout, chub and pike from bridges, landing them is always the tricky bit ! You learn a lot from fishing from any raised position in low clear water.

tony considine

Reaction score
That was brilliant Lefthandup, legal or not. Reminds me of what used to happen off the old railway bridge on the Lune at Caton (probably the spot mentioned by Longpreston). The method was to drop a shrimp down to the salmon in view.hook the fish, then drop the rod down to mate below. That soon got banned as you might expect.
t.c.

Rrrr

Reaction score
Great idea. Would have never thought of stripping line and throwing the rod down i would have probably looked for a deep bit and jumped in if it was a decent fish lol

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

AlanT

Reaction score
I used to fish that wee burn to the left many many years ago a bit further up and caught some great trout in it. Mainly using wasp grub. I've often wondered what it would be like now.

Last edited:

lefthandup

Reaction score
I used to fish that wee burn to the left many many years ago a bit further up and caught some great trout in it. Mainly using wasp grub. I've often wondered what it would be like now.

I've never really fished it Alan....always wondered about it mind...I think a lot of it is private now.

Sash

Reaction score
Lovely videos, and great to see such a quick release of the fish.
I have to say, I am impressed with your rod: the way it was bent over a lot of the time I feared you would over hoop it, and break it!
Well done

Last edited:

lefthandup

Reaction score
Lovely videos, and great to see such a quick release of the fish.
I have to say, I am impressed with your rod: the way it was bent over a lot of the time I feared you would over hop it, and break it!
Well done

Would you believe it just a Shakespeare Agility.

Reiver Flash

Reaction score
Great videos which also show how quickly a fish will revive if left in the water and carefully handled and released. Nowt wrong with Shakespeare rods. I have some trout rods including a 6wt travel fly that has been all over and cost only £20. I like my Shakespeare Oracle just as much as my Hardy Marksman T.

coffin dodger

Reaction score

class

lefthandup

Reaction score
Cheers...it's probably the most unexpected and weirdest incident
I've ever had since I started fishing.

Mccourtskid

Reaction score
Brilliant

A great fishing story, but not a fiction, clear video evidence. On such light gear you did well,bet you did bridge to river bank in record speed. A well deserved release at the end.