Salmon Fly size calculator

ian66

Reaction score
I remember it well.

I remember the calculator well. It was and still would be useful to many people. I appreciate that some more experienced and confident people might ridicule the idea, but if nothing else, it brought a degree of peace of mind, that at least, you had some approximation of the right fly in the water. I feel that the correct fly not only has to suit the water, but also has to suit your personal style and preferred fishing times too. I also believe that the usual spinning height marker on bridges etc is purely a man made mark, not a magic rune, which when covered makes Salmon want a 4" Toby, then after a half an inch drop requires a size 12 fly. I remember reading many years ago, that when asked which fly he thought was best on the Dee, Prince Charles's Ghillie, replied by saying," The Flee that's in the watter".

Bannsider

Reaction score
We get too caught up in deciding what size fly too fish... I do as well but sometimes wonder if it really matters one jot.. a big fly for the Bann where I fish is a size 10 double.. Compare that to the flies fished in Norway and you'd be looking something around 15cm long.. a Salmon will grab a dry fly as well as a 4" flying C.. I don't believe all salmon are 'taking fish' all of the time and firmly believe a taking fish will grab the first thing that comes close to it.. be it a Toby or a wee double.. speed and depth is in my humble opinion way more important than size of a fly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

C

cgaines10

I'm early into my Salmon fishing adventure and I always find my self contemplating which fly to put on to start with then 10 minutes later questioning that decision! I suppose I just haven't got the experience yet but I need to have confidence in my fly which i'm struggling to find at the moment. I'll give the calculators ago and hopefully it will help me out next season. :)

Loxie

Reaction score
I'm early into my Salmon fishing adventure and I always find my self contemplating which fly to put on to start with then 10 minutes later questioning that decision! I suppose I just haven't got the experience yet but I need to have confidence in my fly which i'm struggling to find at the moment. I'll give the calculators ago and hopefully it will help me out next season. :)

Confidence is key. It doesn’t matter how you get there. If using a calculator gives you confidence you will catch more fish by using it. Personally I’m not convinced size is the best criteria for choosing a fly, but no one has the first idea why they take anything anyway.

Rustic1

Reaction score
Confidence is key. It doesn’t matter how you get there. If using a calculator gives you confidence you will catch more fish by using it. Personally I’m not convinced size is the best criteria for choosing a fly, but no one has the first idea why they take anything anyway.

Very useful calculator. Totally agree that confidence is everything. If you do not think fly size is the most important criteria, what do you think is more useful?

Reaction score
Remember it.

Many years ago - probably 25 - Trout & salmon gave away a circular salmon fly/tube size calculator. You dialled in water temperature, colour, height etc and it gave you a suggested fly size from which to start proceedings. I lost mine in one of many house moves, and it struck me that an app for a mobile phone that did the same thing would be pretty useful. If anyone has one of them about and can scan the various rings into a jpg file, I'd happily try & get something put together.

It was merely a rough guide as Salmon seldom play by the guide book, they will take small drab flies in big dark water and big bright flies in low clear water, fish what you are confident with any given time would be my advice..

Jimmcl

Reaction score
Updated Version

I've now updated the App for the Salmon Fly Size Calculator to make it usable under IOS OS (64 bit)- the 32 Bit was withdrawn by Apple a year ago I'm afraid. The new version also includes the option to enter the river you're fishing (Choose from Spey, Tweed, Tay, Dee or Wye) and the season (Spring, Summer, Autumn), whereupon it will produce a suggested choice of 4 suitable flies.

It took an age to write, but satisfied a challenge I made to myself to keep the brain active.

Picture is below, and if you scan the QR box it'll take you to the link for the download.

. UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_8f72.jpgframe-2.png

Stevieob76

Reaction score
Many years ago - probably 25 - Trout & salmon gave away a circular salmon fly/tube size calculator. You dialled in water temperature, colour, height etc and it gave you a suggested fly size from which to start proceedings. I lost mine in one of many house moves, and it struck me that an app for a mobile phone that did the same thing would be pretty useful. If anyone has one of them about and can scan the various rings into a jpg file, I'd happily try & get something put together.
I have one of the hardy ones if you want it?

Missingfishing

Reaction score
Is this what you mean, didn't realise it was 25 years ago ?
I also have mine from all those years ago. Mind you I also have a small flexible record (for use with a turntable) with the sounds of various engine problems which was free with Car Mechanics (or similar) even older than the T&S fly guide. And my wife says that I am a collector of rubbish???

Slaneysider

Reaction score
I also have mine from all those years ago. Mind you I also have a small flexible record (for use with a turntable) with the sounds of various engine problems which was free with Car Mechanics (or similar) even older than the T&S fly guide. And my wife says that I am a collector of rubbish???

You can beat a bit of nostalgia and reminicing, I use to dream of owning hardy rods and reels, but all I could afford was a Shakespeare one the red glass one and maybe a rimfly reel and a double taper line, salmon were plentiful.
Have all the rods and reels that I'll ever need today, but the Salmon are all but gone.

Jimmcl

Reaction score
I have one of the hardy ones if you want it?
Steve,
I did get one in the end thank-you, and designed the app, which should be available of the iTunes store. My original request was in 2013! - doesn't time just fly by these days.
Jim

Stevieob76

Reaction score
Steve,
I did get one in the end thank-you, and designed the app, which should be available of the iTunes store. My original request was in 2013! - doesn't time just fly by these days.
Jim
Am new to this forum and didn't look at the date. Am only 7 years late. Will check your app out

jimmythefish

Reaction score
Lost a fish of a lifetime last week on a size 10 fly, what a belter of a fish that was. Everyone loses fish one time or another on the fly it’s part and parcel of out trade aint it,but it’s really uncanny how I’ve never lost a fish on a size 8 treble for some reason,and the 10 I had on that day was a double, so I sent a message to the lad in England that does my fly’s and told him to do the same pattern on a treble 8, jist Incase I ever run in to that old boy again,so I can tell him,have a go at that yin ,ya boy ye ? This fly has for some reason produced loads of salmon in both Ireland ?? +Scotland ??????? for me,they seem to go crazy for it.
9D0C0F4E-D1BB-494C-AB9A-0F3554654C48.png
9D0C0F4E-D1BB-494C-AB9A-0F3554654C48.png

Rutlander

Reaction score
Updated Version

I've now updated the App for the Salmon Fly Size Calculator to make it usable under IOS OS (64 bit)- the 32 Bit was withdrawn by Apple a year ago I'm afraid. The new version also includes the option to enter the river you're fishing (Choose from Spey, Tweed, Tay, Dee or Wye) and the season (Spring, Summer, Autumn), whereupon it will produce a suggested choice of 4 suitable flies.

It took an age to write, but satisfied a challenge I made to myself to keep the brain active.

Picture is below, and if you scan the QR box it'll take you to the link for the download.

.View attachment 35432View attachment 35433

Has anybody tried the app yet? I (as a novice) was considering paying for it this morning but was put off by the still image used on the app store which showed a hook choice of 2/0? Not sure where the app user was going to be fishing but I can't imagine needing a 2/0 hook for a salmon fly.

Jim Elie

Reaction score
Mann’s Mountain, New Brunswick in salmon season
My Grandad was a very skilled salmon angler and had been schooled on Scottish rivers prior to heeding advice to go west and immigrating to Canada following the carnage of the Great War. A simple traditional solution to fly size was to quickly fish through a run or pool with a larger fly than usual and then drop down several sizes to a smaller version of the same pattern. These forgotten “vintage” fishing techniques have been proven in the past and can still be effective.

“A bright fly for a bright day” for example, a Silver Wilkinson or a Silver Grey, in a size 1 or 4 single, in June or July, would hunt for an aggressive “taker” or follower on the first pass through the pool. I remember he frequently caught a salmon on these larger sized flies than other anglers were uniformly fishing. He greased lined these flies and made several down stream mends to utilize the current at a 50 degree cast angle, to add speed to his swing. He usually never made repeated casts to a salmon that missed the fly but he mentally triangulated the spot where he had aimed the cast and where the flash or swirl had occurred, in relation to where he was wading or anchored in a canoe.

The second pass through the same water was with the same pattern on a size 4 or 12 double hooked fly. These flies were usually a size smaller than those being used by the other anglers. This second pass through the same pool was usually the payoff and frequently hooked the salmon that had shown itself on the first pass. Rather than fishing quickly, and only casting at 50 degrees, he narrowed his angles and made slower or deeper presentations, making upstream mends to facilitate this. This also varied the angle profile of the deeper swinging fly. Gramps would frequently step back 20 feet, or pole the canoe upstream, to get a better cast angle at a particular current seam below. He favoured fishing with longer rods and used his 15 foot Sharpes spliced Scotty, to hang the fly above a likely looking lie, sashaying there for several minutes to tempt a snoozing salmon.

Rather than always favouring the smaller fly size, usually selected by the salmon he had just hooked, Gramps often repeated this ploy as he covered the next pool around the bend. He believed “If they can’t see it, they can’t eat it” and believed it was the best presentation with the sun shining on the water from an angle behind his back which he believed obscured his flys profile. He firmly believed a larger fly could often trigger a taker or excite a jaded fish, making it susceptible to a “wee double” on the next pass.

Regards from the Restigouche....Jim

Attachments

• 0DEB0687-DF9A-4550-9A1A-7C5631272F59.jpeg
    0DEB0687-DF9A-4550-9A1A-7C5631272F59.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 61

poplularkhanz0

Reaction score
can you please check it this RodsBuzz store products, because i want to buy okuma rod for my kid. so please recommend any best rod Thanks!

keirross

Reaction score
I can't decide on this 3 inch rapal or a size 10 or a size 6 fly?? LOL

Funny stuff....fresh fish = throw your rotten socks at them and they will eat it in a 3 foot deep pool at 6m3/sec (and 160m3/sec @ 10 feet deep) and at 13C and 20C water. Foolishness 99% of the time.

Now, less than daisy fresh fish.....well that is another