Salmon Fly Rod(s) owned of yesterday

iainmortimer

Reaction score
Enigma EM-G 15' #10/11

I'm pretty sure this is the original version of the rod but as it performs perfectly well and is not a length of rod I need very often, I never felt the need to buy anything else. This one was actually given to me with a promise of a donation to charity as no money was requested.

salarchaser

Reaction score
Enigma EM-G 15' #10/11

I'm pretty sure this is the original version of the rod but as it performs perfectly well and is not a length of rod I need very often, I never felt the need to buy anything else. This one was actually given to me with a promise of a donation to charity as no money was requested.
Got the EMG3.
Bought it to replace a greys 15' (well, kept the greys as a spare). It was near the end of their sales so got it heavily discounted.
Tried one on the casting pool at the back of Fishtec on the way past.

Nice rod though a bit big for most waters I now fish.

ACW

Reaction score
Oh dear ,ancient loomis 15 footer circa 1990 ,and the rather nice St Croix 13 footer that I swapped via spey pages for a Falkus 15 foot#11/12 beast!

RUSH

Reaction score
Oh you rub it in why don't you 😂 the one I let go was in mint condition , I'd seriously love to get hold of another one , if you ever feel like parting with it 👍
Did that come from newmills Arnold I may have been in when it was bought 😁

Loxie

Reaction score
I don't think there will be any Split Cane or Hollow Glass rods mentioned on this thread ,
I havent had a cast with a Cane double hander , felt the weight of a 12ft , did they make 15 to 18 ft cane rods ?
Hollow Glass rods a fair bit lighter , but both so through actioned and sag curve on them .
Were there any solid fibre glass double handers ever produced ? as kids we all started with 5ft worming/spin rods and up to 9ft back in the 1960's
I've got a fair few cane rods and some greenhearts. One of the greenheart rods is 18' and takes some carrying let alone casting! I broke a 15' spliced cane Spey casting it rather vigorously and not that well about 35 years ago!

westie4566

Reaction score
Enigma EM-G 15' #10/11

I don't trout fish very often these days but still have one of the original EMG 9' 5wt flyrods. It's a lovely wee rod to cast and fish with. the only 'downside' is it's two piece.

Fly-Only

Reaction score
Here goes….

First ever rod was a 6’ glass spinning rod from Woolworths

I bought my first double hander in 1995 and to my best recollection this is the rest in order

1. 15’ 6” Daiwa Amorphous Spey Casting Special
2. 13’ Daiwa Dual Catcher
3. 14’ Hardy Favourite
4. 15’ Hardy Travel
5. 15’ Hardy Ultralite
6. 15’ G Loomis GLX Classic
7. 12’ 6 G Loomis GLX Classic
8. 14’ Loop Greenline
9. 11’ 6” Loop Greenline
10. 17’ Loop Opti
11. 18’ Greys
12. 17’ Guideline LPXE
13. 14’ Guideline LPXe 3 piece
14. 14’ Guideline LPXe 4 piece
15. 15’ Guideline LPXe 4 piece
16. 14’ 9’ Guideline LXI 4 piece
17. 12’ Greys XF2

OMG….. For the record I on have the last 5 on the list.

Birkin

Reaction score
My first rod was a tank aerial bought from the Army and Navy store with all the bits to make a rod from the local tackle shop. Fished it on my local canal for about 8 years.
My first rod for trout was a borrowed David Norwich and later I purchased a Hardy 10ft 7# Ultralight Plus which was so good I still have it. Fantastic rod for Sea Trout, Salmon in small spate rivers and boat fishing on reservoirs.
First salmon rod was a B and W 15ft Expert which I still have for nostalgia and the 14ft Vision GT4 catapult which is still my go to rod.
All the other rods I seem to have aquired have some purpose or another I think.

SALMON RUSHDIE

Reaction score
First spinning rod for river milbro solid glass 8ft then a craddock 9ft spin then Atlantic zoom 9ft fly rod abu 12ft brown dbl handed hollow glass then about another twenty on top of that

Meldon9

Reaction score
Best ones were a Hardy no7 Traveller followed by a Swift in the same format. Had a Gem and a Salar too.

Last one was a Jet switch 8/9 which I bought and never used.

All now sold together with a couple of others. I will spin only from now and if (when) they stop that or impose mandatory C&R l will call it a day all together

Grassy_Knollington

Reaction score
My first rod, trout, Sea Trout and a few Salmon

Shakespeare Graphite 10’ #6-8 > knackered and casts like a noodle these days. Then I graduated to my mum’s old B&W Cordon Bleu 13ft 8-10 used a DT 9 floater & slow sinker, had most of my fish on that until early 2000s. I keep meaning to try a proper line on it. From the 2000s I borrowed a 13ft Norway Speycaster and 11’3” Salmon / Sea Trout for a few years, the Norway is a lovely rod and still stands up well, I now have my own Salmon / Sea Trout and the 11’3” Powerlite Speycaster and use them every season.

My first 15’ was a Powerlite Speycaster #10. Beast of a rod, also have a Zenith Sintrix and a Swift Mk2 15ft 10wt, but my favourite 15fter is a 15ft Powerlite Deluxe 4 piece, brilliant with the Gaelforce 11/12 63ft line. I haven’t fished with a 15fter for about 4 years. I find them too long & heavy to be practical on most pools on most rivers I fish.

From my Dad’s collection I particularly like the Hardy Ultralite 10’ #7 rod. Lovely action and it is still relatively light by today’s standards and is my go to single hand Grilse / ST rod.