Salmon fly reel

kenny007

Reaction score
For me it's a Loop Classic (solid plate but the ported has grown on me too) Great sound, classic looking reel. Only drawback is they can't be palmmed which has proven to be problamatic with a few tricky fish.

Last edited:

Neil W

Reaction score
What a question that is. Hardy Perfect 4.25” for my 14ft rods such a classic easy to use reel with a lovely sound. I have a Loop classic 811 solid plate but not used it enough to make a judgement yet. The same with a Danielsson control.
I do like the Lamson ARX 4+ too which is a great big fish reel.
For my switch rods it’s the nautilus nv Spey.

Hardyreels

Administrator
Reaction score
I don't have one that I don't like. It took me some time to warm toward the new designs but I did. Now the reels range from old Lightweight series reels like the St. Aidan to a Swift Mk 1 and many points between those designs and ages. Perfects, Marquis, Sage Spectrum X's, Orvis Vortex's, Lamson's, I've used a lot of reels.

Worst experience was the first time I got into it with a 30 pound salmon, I was using one of the original Orvis Battenkill Disc reels back in the 1980's. Having never tangled with an actual big game fish I was sure that a Battenkill 8/9 would meet the task. I could not have been more surprised! Nothing in all my years of fishing up till then could have prepared me for what happened. The fish exploded then quickly charged off across the river as I stood dumbfounded watching the line pay out. I didn't land the beast but I learned from there and can say that I caught enough of them which were weighed to safely say that first one was right in that 30 pound slot.

With the years I've been fortunate to stay hooked to them and now have no worries facing off with a bruiser with my Taupo :)

AlanT

Reaction score
I love the Vision Tank. It's a bit marmite but I like heavier reels so it suits me perfectly

20200328_210809.jpg

Last edited:

westie4566

Reaction score
That's a difficult one.

I have reels I didn't like, usually down to issues with them. I like the reels I own and use these days.

On the 15' rod it's Loop Opti Megaloop. Cracking reel that is great for playing a fish in a big river.

On the Switch it's an old Pfleuger President - a lovely old thing.

My all round setup, the 13' rod it's an old Golden Prince. I love that reel simply for the sound it makes when a fish is doing a huge long run. Bliss!

Rrrr

Reaction score
I don't have one that I don't like. It took me some time to warm toward the new designs but I did. Now the reels range from old Lightweight series reels like the St. Aidan to a Swift Mk 1 and many points between those designs and ages. Perfects, Marquis, Sage Spectrum X's, Orvis Vortex's, Lamson's, I've used a lot of reels.

Worst experience was the first time I got into it with a 30 pound salmon, I was using one of the original Orvis Battenkill Disc reels back in the 1980's. Having never tangled with an actual big game fish I was sure that a Battenkill 8/9 would meet the task. I could not have been more surprised! Nothing in all my years of fishing up till then could have prepared me for what happened. The fish exploded then quickly charged off across the river as I stood dumbfounded watching the line pay out. I didn't land the beast but I learned from there and can say that I caught enough of them which were weighed to safely say that first one was right in that 30 pound slot.

With the years I've been fortunate to stay hooked to them and now have no worries facing off with a bruiser with my Taupo :)
Was it the battenkills that had the brake caliper like the scientific anglers system 2 or am i thinking of another reel ?

Also, budget wise the vision deep does everything you could need and more without breaking the bank.
For a nice noise and a reel to enjoy using, i like the old hardy ultralite disc or the jlh if you like a clicker.
If its based on looks that comes down to your preference, from traditional, to subtle to a hand painted able jobby.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Hardyreels

Administrator
Reaction score
It was the first generation using the offset gear system. They felt quite strong if you were used to having used a hardy Featherweight for trout for the past ten years. I was a person who's largest fish up to that day were a 6 brown trout and a 7pound salmon. In my world at the time I believed those to be huge, what a shock!

One big takeaway from that was I learned never to fish the edge water just off a chute of white water with perhaps a 15 mph current. First it went across but quickly went down river with the flow. Now some 32 years later I preach that you need to have a plan before you even cast.......

Mattytree

Reaction score
Loop opti speed runner is my go to reel ,love the sound of a hardy clutch but I’m still with the opti !
Would like to try a vision tank if we get a season this year.

Lamson v10

Reaction score
I do like my Lamson reels and have quite a few in my collection with the V10LT being my favourite, in my opinion a stunning reel with a nice smooth drag that would stop a train and it's nice and quiet with just a gentle click that won't alert half the world that you've a fish on 👍🏻

DSC_0606.JPG

Last edited:

mc andy

Reaction score
I do like my Lamson reels and have quite a few in my collection with the V10LT being my favourite, in my opinion a stunning reel with a nice smooth drag that would stop a train and it's nice a quiet with just a gentle click that won't alert half the world that you've a fish on 👍🏻

View attachment 43322
I'm kinda the same in I like a click but only audible to me! I've owned plenty of nice reels with a good loud grunt as a fish pulls, but got totally ****** off with the racket stripping line at the start of every run. So I'm quite happy with my Hardy Zane, loop evo, orvis hydros ect :D

Zamora

Reaction score
I’ve never loved too much any of my reels. I’ve got Hardys, Orvis’, Danielssons, Visions, Sages etc. Never put too much money on the reel, so haven’t owned Abels, Bogdans, Einarssons or any other high price reels. At the moment I have Danielsson Control 11Infinity, Sage Evoke 10, Loop Evotec G4 LW7-9 and Hardy Ultralite 7000 and all of them are solid reels and work where they are meant. Ultralite is only one without full frame, but it is on my switch rod so it can be with it atm. With salmon reels, I want them to be with full frame, enough weight to balance the rod, capacity for backing and good brake. I always try to find good price-quality-ratio and I’ve bought most of my reels on sale or second-handed. Never felt that I need to go those real high-end reels, as the ones I’ve had has done the job.

Last edited:

Rockpool

Reaction score
I keep coming back to the Hardy Ultralite Disc Large Arbor 10/11. Robust and straigntforward. and

Rockpool

Reaction score
Cont. Hardy Ultralite Disc Large Arbor 10/11. Robust and straightforward and foolproof with the cage design. I like them because they strike a nice balance between the Hardy sound and a modern drag. Same goes for the Ultralite Salmon Disc. Although my Loop Evotec 8 Eleven LW, which I think was made by Danelsson, is a beautifully engineered thing.

bankwheel

Reaction score
Had plenty of reels over the years but never got too excited about them, as long as it works and I don't have issues then Im not bothered. I have a 4.25" perfect that I got as a present from my wife, its heavy, solid and very reliable (I am a reliability engineer) so it will always get used. I don't like small arbour reels (except for the perfect of course) as I don't like winding for ages to get 1M of line in so large arbours are preferred and as long as it works and has a decent drag then that's it, I'm happy.
Mine are all SL reels now, made by Vosseler so an excellent build quality and function so once its on the rod I forget about it.

Mattytree

Reaction score
I do like my Lamson reels and have quite a few in my collection with the V10LT being my favourite, in my opinion a stunning reel with a nice smooth drag that would stop a train and it's nice a quiet with just a gentle click that won't alert half the world that you've a fish on 👍🏻

View attachment 43322
How do you reverse a Lamson ? I’ve accidentally managed to reverse mine whilst trying to clean it so it’s right hand wind now, no idea how that happened! .. I’ll probably keep it like that as I’ve taken all the backing and line off.

Andy Musgrove

Reaction score
Great topic and very interesting responses. For me it’s the Loop Opti, Megaloop and Runner, along with the Orvis Mirage ( one before the latest made in USA ones), really good strong and smooth reel with a touch more weight than the Opti’s. I doubt I would change if I had the money to choose anything from the sweety shop but of course a Speyco or Bogdan is a thing of beauty to behold but sometimes it’s better to window shop than buy, that way you don’t get disappointed !

orchy1999

Reaction score
Hardy Marquis no question:) classic and robust if it were a person I would have it in the trenches beside me when the enemy are charging solid as a rock:thumb:

Robb76

Reaction score
I was always a big loop fan, then ended up buying a little Lamson Guru for my trout fishing which I really liked, this led onto to various Lamson reels... the Micra 5 on my switch rod is fantastic and certainly helped me landing some good fish, however my favourite is the ARX 4+. It looks, feels and performs wonderfully and is very low maintenance! View attachment 43326

Reaction score
How pleasant to talk about something other than CORVID 19. In answer to the OP, the reels I had at the time were my favourite reel because they reflected what I could afford.

So in order, for double handers, they were:

1980 - 1983 - Shakespeare Super Condex
1983 - 1993 - Shakespeare Beaulite (you've no idea how proud as a teenager I was to own a reel with a varriable drag even though the drag had no true range)
1994 - 1999 - Leeda Magnums (I still retain one 140D with a DT 10 Hardy Wet II )
1999 - 2003 - System IIs
2003 - Present day Sage 3500Ds and Abel Super 12s

Since then I have bought one Orivs Battenkill Large Arber which I used on a 12' D/H rod I no longer have. Apart from the single Leeda Magnum and Battenkill (which I now use as a shooting head reel for s/h) all the original reels were sold on upgrade which is the same discipline I use with rods.

The 2003 purchase was driven by a desire to partake of more saltwater game fishing - such reels have design, build quality and stopping power that are far beyond the requirements of UK salmon fishing (but are essential for long term use in Cuba etc). If you fish the Yokanga or Alta then having a Tarpon tamer makes sense, and given how much you will pay for the fishing the cost of a couple of these will be nothing more than a cash rounding error.

So my reels have dual purpose, and I don't see any reason why I should ever buy another reel for salmon fishing. I have had 17 years heavy use out of them and, depending how long I am spared, hopefully a normal lifetimes' pleasure from them. I must be the only person on this board who has no interest in fishing the Alta but I do fish elsewhere in Norway (where big storlaks run and I 've caught some) and I have fished the Yokanga and have some unfinished business there. Whether saltwater game reels are necessary is a moot point, but I can guarantee if you hook a 15kg plus storlak and you have to stop it going over the rapids on Igd Holen on the Orkla you won't be saying if only I didn't have this Abel and had a Leeda Magnum instead my chances of landing this would be so much higher.

If I had to choose between the Sage and the Abel it's a difficult choice. I only bought the Abels because in 2003 Sage had not yet introduced the 3600D which was big enough to hold 10/11 80' head spey lines. Anyway, it's a bit like choosing between an Audi R8 and an Aston Martin. The 3500Ds are machine and build perfection. Due to the sealed drag in 17 years of use I have never had to carry out a single piece of maintenence on them other than a good washing down after a day on the flats. The Abels do require a lot of work on cleaning and maintaining the cork disc drag which I actually find a labour of love. So my head says Sage and my heart says Abel - in the end home is where the heart is. So I'll go with Abel although my head is now giving me a good ticking off :amen:

Regards

NHP

Last edited:

Lamson v10

Reaction score
How do you reverse a Lamson ? I’ve accidentally managed to reverse mine whilst trying to clean it so it’s right hand wind now, no idea how that happened! .. I’ll probably keep it like that as I’ve taken all the backing and line off.
Take the centre cap back off and pop out the bearing, turn it around and place it back in and make sure its located properly, job done sir 👍🏻