Salmon fishing holiday with accomodation

Finglas

Reaction score
Hello all,

Hoping you may be able to help me, I am looking find some salmon fishing with a nearby cottage for accomodation. My dad will be 60 next year and I thought it would make a good present. Length wise i am looking for 3 days stay and fishing or potentially for a week but the price will determine that. I would rather put more money into the fishing than the accomodation as well so I'm not worried about living in luxury.

Timing wise I am thinking of July-October 2021. I know there is uncertainty at the moment with covid but hopefully by next year things will be a little more normal, but regardless, I'm still keen on cracking on and even if I don't book just now because of uncertainty then having the places in mind would still be good. Plus I know I'll likely have less to choose from because of bookings rolling forward from this year to next.

One of my issues is that there is only the two of us so a lot of lodges and the like seem to sleep 12 and 14 and whatever so they are obviously too pricey for only 2 of us!

I had commented on another post recently and saw some recommendations there. Namely, Oscar mentioned a cottage around Aviemore with fishing on the Findhorn which is definitely one I'm interested in. Andrew B also had some great suggestions and I saw woodend on the Dee was mentioned. That looks perfect, small enough and very lovely water but I think the fishing may be booked through fishpal and from the website it looks as though most of it is booked for next year now.

Anyway, any help with recommendations would be excellent.

Thank you all as always,

Jamie

HOWKEMOOT

Reaction score
I've found on the whole cottages and fishing together can make the cottage disproportionately expensive. I therefore source each separately using sites like SYKES or UNIQUE.
A lot of fishing and accommodation may well be rolled forward to 2021, as mine's was. Good or suitable accommodation is at a premium so I would recommend you get onto it without delay.

M

D

Deleted member 945

I’d pick the beat you want to fish and then find suitable accommodation nearby. I’ve spent a lot of time looking for similar things to accommodate family and kids - conclusion easier and cheaper to sort separately

Occasional salmon fisher

Reaction score
One option is to decide on your river and then book some accommodation as close as you think reasonable. So for example book something near the upper or middle Dee then book your fishing on Fishpal. That could give the option of trying several different beats which I always enjoy. It is likely that UK self catering cottages will be very popular again this year and book up fairly quickly, probably more chance and cheaper rates when schools are back so September and October. Depending on how hard you both want to fish, some beats will allow you to share a rod, I have done this a few times. Halves the cost and you spend time together rather than hundreds of yards apart.

Last edited:

lax0341

Reaction score
You could try the Doon in September or October. Sometimes there is fishing together with a small cottage available in the Dalrymple area or Smithston around Dalmellington. Also the Stinchar could be worth a try around Colmonell.

Last edited:

Finglas

Reaction score
You could do far worse than a Ticket on the Association Water at Grantown on Spey and taking a static Caravan on the excellent site there.No doubt there'd be self catering digs there in the local area, as well as B+B accommodation too!.
Pedro.

Thanks Pedro. We fished the grantown water when I was about 13 or so. I think at the time they did a very cheap weekly ticket for kids, think it was 15 quid. I had a hold of my first ever fish then but it got off as it was coming across the water! I have always been meaning to go back there. Thanks for the suggestion!

Jamie

Finglas

Reaction score
I’d pick the beat you want to fish and then find suitable accommodation nearby. I’ve spent a lot of time looking for similar things to accommodate family and kids - conclusion easier and cheaper to sort separately

Thanks T7, I spent most of the evening last night trying to find something and I wasn't coming up with much at all! I think I'll try and sort them separately.

Thank you,

Jamie

scoops

Reaction score
We done Marnoch lodge for a week on the Deveron for about 8 years, great place (water permitting) with the cottage right on the river

This year only had 3 days on Findhorn Forres Association with a flat on the Main Street from booking .com

The flying Scotsman

Reaction score
The Findhorn was one of my favourite association water to fish. I never went this year but my pal did and was really disappointed. He said the fishing wasn't near as good as last year, said all the locals no happy. Something to do with flood defences being built somewhere or something like that.
It would be a shame as the town water has a load of amazing pools to fish.

daveing

Reaction score
Have you considered Iceland? Perfect for 3-4 days fishing and you can share a rod to keep the prices down.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Finglas

Reaction score
Have you considered Iceland? Perfect for 3-4 days fishing and you can share a rod to keep the prices down.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

I havent considered that. I did briefly consider norway but that runs the price right up and I'd imagine it's more the place I'd go for a wee as opposed to only 3 or 4 days. Reasons I've gone off them is both cost, organisation and covid. I really would love to fish Iceland and norway and a lot of others haha!

Thank you

Andrew B

Reaction score
You could do far worse than a Ticket on the Association Water at Grantown on Spey and taking a static Caravan on the excellent site there.No doubt there'd be self catering digs there in the local area, as well as B+B accommodation too!.
Pedro.
I’ve always fancied doing this. Taking the caravan up to the site near the river and buying a weekly ticket if not for the salmon, for the excellent sea trout fishing at night. One of the best association water in the U.K. imo.
You know why it’s never happened for me yet? My family never wanna take a risk on the weather, so we always head south. Oh and the flying teeth ie midges lol.

Method man

Reaction score
Capo cottages in Laurencekirk are as good as on the banks of the north esk.
You’re yards away from stracathro & a few minutes drive from pert but you could choose any beat on the river you fancy & fish 2 or 3 of them.

Finglas

Reaction score
Capo cottages in Laurencekirk are as good as on the banks of the north esk.
You’re yards away from stracathro & a few minutes drive from pert but you could choose any beat on the river you fancy & fish 2 or 3 of them.

Thanks Method man. I think we saw they cottages earlier this year. We were on stracathro for a day and noted they cottages looked very nice. Thank you,

Jamie

duncan

Reaction score
North Esk had a good run of fish this year, have a look at the returns on Fishpal.
Canterlands, Gallery and Stracathro have cottages situated more or less on the river.

Salarspeycaster

Reaction score
I’ve always fancied doing this. Taking the caravan up to the site near the river and buying a weekly ticket if not for the salmon, for the excellent sea trout fishing at night. One of the best association water in the U.K. imo.
You know why it’s never happened for me yet? My family never wanna take a risk on the weather, so we always head south. Oh and the flying teeth ie midges lol.
Upper Castle Grant on the association water at Grantown is just lovely and has some great pools. . The Lurig is one of my favourite all time pools and the Long Stream a bit further down the beat is nice as well. Fly only, except when the water is above the mark on the new bridge.
There is a farm above the Long Stream and I used to stay in a caravan there, it was a lovely setting and cheap as well, they used to advertise in ‘Trout And Salmon’.

Finglas

Reaction score
Upper Castle Grant on the association water at Grantown is just lovely and has some great pools. . The Lurig is one of my favourite all time pools and the Long Stream a bit further down the beat is nice as well. Fly only, except when the water is above the mark on the new bridge.
There is a farm above the Long Stream and I used to stay in a caravan there, it was a lovely setting and cheap as well, they used to advertise in ‘Trout And Salmon’.

Thanks salar, it sounds lovely. And thanks to everyone else, really appreciate the suggestions it has allowed me to feel like I'm making some progress instead of going round in circles on google!

Thanks again,

Jamie

Andrew B

Reaction score
Yes that’s the private beat that you can book isn’t it. I’m guessing that would more quieter?