Salmon farm escapees run 5 river systems...

JACK POWER

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'd encourage you all to take out the pen and paper, or better again, now that the season is closed, go to one of your local TDs clinics and do a bit of barking about this. Unless we rattle the cage good and loud we have little enough reason to expect any change. Do a bit of homework before you go ...

What did you do in the war Daddy?

Reaction score
Jack,

I sent many emails to Sean Kyne (T.D. Minister) with no acknowledgement or response the Dept. of Community Development, Natural Resources and Digital Development my hole. Their philosophy is keep the fat cats fatter & fck the rest of us, if they had their way every river in Ireland would be closed for the rod angler.

But I totally agree with you about pounding at their doors we are strong in numbers..

seeking

Reaction score
Yorkshire (were there a god it'd be god's own coun
Letters to an ex salmon fishers sons

...What did you do in the war Daddy?

"Well Son.

I paid contributions to the SCS to Save Our Salmon.

I paid contributions to get the nets off and stop the pesky Grenlandic-Faroese netting.

I converted to C&R and released all of my fish and moaned incessantly at anyone who didn't.

I lobbied the powers that be to foist more and more restrictions on anglers and netsmen.

I allowed the Governments to reduce their monitoring of stocks and close down counters, so they could only rely on B/S Guesstimates to bamboozle.

I wrote a letter to the Government that went down like a lead turkey and was ignored because they were only interested in what side their bread was buttered.

BUT most importantly, it's what I didn't do that I now see as the problem.

I didn't boycott anyone selling farmed salmon and campaign against it's expansion. I didn't pound on the doors of government to make them see that this insidious industry is the kiss of death to wild salmon...

I didn't stop using ever more abstracted or intercepted water year on year.

I didn't stop polluting that water more and more with funky chemicals and microplastics.

I didn't stop consuming ever more stuff and sending more and more toxic leachates into landfil to leak back to the rivers eventually.

I didn't convert to sustainable goods, materials, metals, but instead used more and more plastic and synthetic chemicals (see the two bullet points above)

I didn't once urge a return to sustainable farming practices. I didn't refuse to buy goods ever more pollluted by herbicides and pesticides.

I didn't once urge that massive developments, road building and covering a larger and larger proportion of natural soil with tarmac and concrete should be abated.

I didn't urge the removal of weirs and the cessation of new "green" hydro plants (AKA smolt slicers) being installed on them for convenience.

I didn't once take the Government to task for failing to properly monitor rivers, dodgy sampling methodologies or for failing to meet WFD and failing to keep our rivers working just fine.

I didn't stop to consider the facts that C&R and no netting makes no odds. I didn't stop to challenge the guff PFA Estimates constructed from wild guesstimates and used to stop anglers angling.

I didn't once lobby anyone that in reality all would be well if we just kept the rivers like they used to be in the 1920s...

And now I sit an angry old man. They told us that aquaculture was great as it would remove the nets because they were the real threat. Then when that proved fake and the "golden goose" became the "enemy within" they said once they got the final few nets off and we had CCR not only would the salmon populations be brimfull of abundance, then they would deal with aquaculture.

How mislead I was :mad::mad::mad::mad:"

;)

:D:):D:)

Reaction score
"Well Son.

I paid contributions to the SCS to Save Our Salmon.

I paid contributions to get the nets off and stop the pesky Grenlandic-Faroese netting.

I converted to C&R and released all of my fish and moaned incessantly at anyone who didn't.

I lobbied the powers that be to foist more and more restrictions on anglers and netsmen.

I allowed the Governments to reduce their monitoring of stocks and close down counters, so they could only rely on B/S Guesstimates to bamboozle.

I wrote a letter to the Government that went down like a lead turkey and was ignored because they were only interested in what side their bread was buttered.

BUT most importantly, it's what I didn't do that I now see as the problem.

I didn't boycott anyone selling farmed salmon and campaign against it's expansion. I didn't pound on the doors of government to make them see that this insidious industry is the kiss of death to wild salmon...

I didn't stop using ever more abstracted or intercepted water year on year.

I didn't stop polluting that water more and more with funky chemicals and microplastics.

I didn't stop consuming ever more stuff and sending more and more toxic leachates into landfil to leak back to the rivers eventually.

I didn't convert to sustainable goods, materials, metals, but instead used more and more plastic and synthetic chemicals (see the two bullet points above)

I didn't once urge a return to sustainable farming practices. I didn't refuse to buy goods ever more pollluted by herbicides and pesticides.

I didn't once urge that massive developments, road building and covering a larger and larger proportion of natural soil with tarmac and concrete should be abated.

I didn't urge the removal of weirs and the cessation of new "green" hydro plants (AKA smolt slicers) being installed on them for convenience.

I didn't once take the Government to task for failing to properly monitor rivers, dodgy sampling methodologies or for failing to meet WFD and failing to keep our rivers working just fine.

I didn't stop to consider the facts that C&R and no netting makes no odds. I didn't stop to challenge the guff PFA Estimates constructed from wild guesstimates and used to stop anglers angling.

I didn't once lobby anyone that in reality all would be well if we just kept the rivers like they used to be in the 1920s...

And now I sit an angry old man. They told us that aquaculture was great as it would remove the nets because they were the real threat. Then when that proved fake and the "golden goose" became the "enemy within" they said once they got the final few nets off and we had CCR not only would the salmon populations be brimfull of abundance, then they would deal with aquaculture.

How mislead I was :mad::mad::mad::mad:"

;)

:D:):D:)
That really brings it home.

castor

Reaction score
This is a National disgrace! A crowd of Gombeen men (as usual chasing the quick buck) ruining a large chunk ofwhat is left of the Country's National Heritage.

Is Ireland offering financial incentives to salmon farmers?

Are juvenile fish being imported rather than home bred from native stock? IF so what are the countries of origin?

What is the percentage of the industry which is 100% Irish owned and what percentage by non-Irish Companies? Do the overseas owners pay full Irish tax on their profits before removing those sums from the economy?

What percentages of the total farm only workforce is comprised of local Irish, of migrant Irish and of non-national migrant labour? What percentage of the fish are fully processed in Ireland? What percentage of that workforce is comprised of migrant labour?

What is the inward total spend by overseas anglers?

What is the nett return to Ireland by way of profit, taxation and employment from the Industry?

Has any group of TDs expressed serious concern regarding the whole matter of salmon farming in particular and the fragility of the native salmon's future?

Does the Government and/or the Aquaculture Industry control Irish salmon research by way of exercising financial control (funding) or job security to researchers? Is there evidence of manipulation of evidence by research bodies?

Is the Irish media prepared to expose the threats in a balanced forthright manner?

My opinion is that Ireland (and Scotland) is being sold down the river by a parcel of rogues.

EVERY question/criticism above is equally applicable to the UK and in particular to Scotland!

The linked report gives the appearance of that body taking the view that all they can do is to sit around and observe the results of this latest escape disaster with a view to reporting the outcome in a few years time!

EDIT:
I do not expect answers to be posted!

Last edited:

Silver hunter

Reaction score
counting salmon

IFI states that no company has reported escapes,what do they expect someone down in the cages counting fish every morning!!!!!IFI will continue to monitor is their line,monitor what as they know nothing until they are told and if not told monitoring will go on,what a joke this whole salmon farming industry is.
escapes,sea lice,overfeeding,sludge and contamination of every bay they occupy.
IFI cant even keep pike out of Brown trout fisheries what chance have we with such a week organisation with no power.

Rainclouds

Reaction score
It amazes me that the salmon farming industry is allowed to propogate these domesticated breeds of salmon and place vast numbers of them in sea cages which are proven to be insecure.. The genetic damage could be immense.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Blackshrimp

Reaction score
This is a National disgrace! A crowd of Gombeen men (as usual chasing the quick buck) ruining a large chunk ofwhat is left of the Country's National Heritage.

Is Ireland offering financial incentives to salmon farmers?

Are juvenile fish being imported rather than home bred from native stock? IF so what are the countries of origin?

What is the percentage of the industry which is 100% Irish owned and what percentage by non-Irish Companies? Do the overseas owners pay full Irish tax on their profits before removing those sums from the economy?

What percentages of the total farm only workforce is comprised of local Irish, of migrant Irish and of non-national migrant labour? What percentage of the fish are fully processed in Ireland? What percentage of that workforce is comprised of migrant labour?

What is the inward total spend by overseas anglers?

What is the nett return to Ireland by way of profit, taxation and employment from the Industry?

Has any group of TDs expressed serious concern regarding the whole matter of salmon farming in particular and the fragility of the native salmon's future?

Does the Government and/or the Aquaculture Industry control Irish salmon research by way of exercising financial control (funding) or job security to researchers? Is there evidence of manipulation of evidence by research bodies?

Is the Irish media prepared to expose the threats in a balanced forthright manner?

My opinion is that Ireland (and Scotland) is being sold down the river by a parcel of rogues.

EVERY question/criticism above is equally applicable to the UK and in particular to Scotland!

The linked report gives the appearance of that body taking the view that all they can do is to sit around and observe the results of this latest escape disaster with a view to reporting the outcome in a few years time!

So much for Origin Green and Traceability from farm to fork, if the Government Agencies cannot find out where these fish originated from!