Salmologic 2020

rotenone

Reaction score
New 2020 website up and running now, some exciting new products.
salmologic – Because it makes sense
Doesn't it contradict Henriks selling point on the skyborn series, that rods dont need the latest nano fibres and that rods were light enough I'm sure that statement was something I admired when the skyborn series were launched , so now we need the nano ...

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Neil W

Reaction score
I think its difficult for companies in the fishing industry especially the fly fishing side. With dwindling numbers of anglers they need to create sales by bringing out new rods, reels, lines etc even if any improvements are small if at all. So I guess whatever he has said in the past is over taken by commercial reality to keep the business running.
I like trying new gear as its all part of the fun so I like to see companies having new equipment to use.

johnW

Reaction score
Reminds me of being in a bar having a meal and a group of anglers were at the next table. Their conversation was about medical consultants, stents, hip and knee replacements and what tablets they were taking. Not a mention of the attractive waitress. I could have joined their conversation too.

wetwader

Reaction score
Of course he has to run a business in difficult times. But he didn’t jump on the fastest train first in graphite and blank Production Technologies, only for better marketing possibilities and for his own benefit. He simply knows, how important the right taper is and waited for real improvements in material.
If he uses the new technology now, after some years of further development (with some trial and error that could be seen with some other labels), combined with his vast knowledge of taper design, the more it’s only for the customers benefit.
He always pointed out, there can’t be real improvements every second year in rod performance.

Although I actually don’t use much of his newest products, I really appreciate his honesty. Also his approach for a „no secret“ balanced outfit, especially for beginners, was unparalleled in the industry for many years and still is in last consequence, from rod to leader. Everything can be selected ready-to-go with perfect balance.
I also appreciate all his important work for numerous improvements he brought to our sport, working for Loop and Scierra.
Think of inventions in loop to loop line systems and leader attachment, importance of adaption and fine Tuning of Leaders, selections of Polyleaders, multi density lines, etc.
He was the first there, because those were real steps forward from the beginning.
Maybe now, after some years, it’s a step forward from his point of view with Nano rod technology respectively Graphene.

I didn’t/don’t have any business orientated relationship to Loop, Scierra, Zpey or Salmologic.

Although being responsible for some of the all time greatest inventions that made the standard for the whole market, he never made a big story out of this for himself. After all, being one of the most important personalities in our sport for decades, he is very much still on the ground.
He still likes teaching and sharing all his experience. He is talking to everybody. Not every personality is a good teacher for instance... Some show a dogmatic tendency and don’t tolerate discussions.
I like some others too, but one can’t find a better one for the modern Underhand Scandi style.
Hats off !

bankwheel

Reaction score
Doesn't it contradict Henriks selling point on the skyborn series, that rods dont need the latest nano fibres and that rods were light enough I'm sure that statement was something I admired when the skyborn series were launched , so now we need the nano ...

The Skyborn series is now 5 years old and there are only a few left in stock, there won't be anymore Skyborn's made so he needs to replace the range with new product. He has been working on this latest rod for many years, tweaking it to get the feel he wants for each rod in the range. I think the point he was making was that great rods can still be made with older materials and that nano fairy dust doesn't necessarily make a great rod, its all in the design, however there is nothing wrong with using modern materials to enhance what you already have.
I should have a couple of Scorpios with me in a few weeks so looking forward to giving them a few days of testing.

Lamson v10

Reaction score
Hi bankwheel, If I was to purchase a skyborn and broke a section would replacement sections be available?

Arnold

bankwheel

Reaction score
Hi bankwheel, If I was to purchase a skyborn and broke a section would replacement sections be available?

Arnold
Yes, sorry I should have said there is still spare sections for all the rods, what model are you thinking of?
BW

(Smolt)

Reaction score
Looking forward to hearing reports on the Scorpio and how the action compares to the Serenity. Do you know what models you will be trying out BW? Also where can you purchase SL products now? Is it only online from Henrik's site?

rotenone

Reaction score
The Skyborn series is now 5 years old and there are only a few left in stock, there won't be anymore Skyborn's made so he needs to replace the range with new product. He has been working on this latest rod for many years, tweaking it to get the feel he wants for each rod in the range. I think the point he was making was that great rods can still be made with older materials and that nano fairy dust doesn't necessarily make a great rod, its all in the design, however there is nothing wrong with using modern materials to enhance what you already have.
I should have a couple of Scorpios with me in a few weeks so looking forward to giving them a few days of testing.
That's a shame I have I extensively fished and tested both the skyborn and serenity and I steel feel that the original skyborn is the better rod.

bankwheel

Reaction score
Looking forward to hearing reports on the Scorpio and how the action compares to the Serenity. Do you know what models you will be trying out BW? Also where can you purchase SL products now? Is it only online from Henrik's site?
The action will be very different but remember that action of each rod in each range is different from each other, they are all designed for a purpose. I think I'm getting the 12'8" 26g and the 14' 35g. No UK dealer at the moment so everything is through the website. (anything above 200 euros is free postage)

bankwheel

Reaction score
That's a shame I have I extensively fished and tested both the skyborn and serenity and I steel feel that the original skyborn is the better rod.

Its horses for courses but there are exceptional rods in both ranges, you may prefer certain models but not all the rods in a range have the same action, my first rod was the 12'6" 24g still one of my favourites but yesterday I was using the 12'10" 31g Serenity, a belter of a rod.