Salar doubles vs Patriot doubles

Henke

Reaction score
Hi

I use both types (still have some salars left ;-) ) - been using Salars for years - and now trying to "adabt" to Patriots.
But I do find that the eye on the Patriots is not the best for "holding" a turtle knot. Salars are great for that - the eye-shape is much better...

Anyone have the same challenges ? What knot do you use ?

Maybe it is only me, who find it difficult.....

salmonaddict

Reaction score
With most hooks, I tend to leave a mm or 2 at the base of the eye, when tying, so that a turtle knot can bed in properly. I've been tying a lot on ED trebles again for the coming season, no such problem with these due to the elongated eye. Far better hookers in my experience also ?

PerryPoker

Reaction score
Try tying the flies on using a rapala knot. Allows the fly to move freely in the current and you don't have to worry about turle knots slipping or having no room at the eye.

K

Koka kola

can try loopy knot. Like loop to loop connect. Makes fly swim very good, but casting must be good to not get hitch fly.

Patriots seem to losing more fishes than salar hook for me.

Henke

Reaction score
Thank you guys.

I will use the rapala knot (was unsure of the breaking strength compared with the turtle knot) - use it when fishing for seatrout at the coast.
Maybe I should try and test "loopy" knot too !

Even use the trebles - but mostly on the smaller sizes.

Cheers !

charlieH

Reaction score
I don't have a problem with using a turle knot on Patriots. However, the eyes do have less definite 'shoulders' than Salars, so when tying on Patriots I make a point of keeping the dressing well back on the shank, so the head finishes at or just before the base of the eye and doesn't encroach onto it. Provided you are careful about this, you should be fine, and there's no need to use a Rapala or any other loopy knot unless you believe that it adds something to the presentation (I have yet to be convinced).

I like Patriots; I can't say I've noticed any difference in the number of fish I lose, and the heavier wire gives me confidence. Also flies tied on them appeal to my eye - though of course that's down to personal taste.

Henke

Reaction score
Thanks Charlie!

I don't have a problem with using a turle knot on Patriots. However, the eyes do have less definite 'shoulders' than Salars, so when tying on Patriots I make a point of keeping the dressing well back on the shank, so the head finishes at or just before the base of the eye and doesn't encroach onto it. Provided you are careful about this, you should be fine, and there's no need to use a Rapala or any other loopy knot unless you believe that it adds something to the presentation (I have yet to be convinced).

I like Patriots; I can't say I've noticed any difference in the number of fish I lose, and the heavier wire gives me confidence. Also flies tied on them appeal to my eye - though of course that's down to personal taste.