Sakura spinning rod.

Isisalar

Reaction score
With the Hants Avon thundering through and spinning likely to be allowed for the near future I'm feeling that something a bit longer and more powerful than my 7' 7 - 40gram rod is needed.
In my local tackle shop Saturday getting some maggots I idly asked if he had a spinning rod, 4 piece between 9 & 10 ft, expecting a negative response as the shop bristles with very light spinning outfits for drop shotting and the new light sea fishing method.
Was offered a Sakura 9' 14-60g 4 piece. Very impressed, seems light and well made with plenty of power.
Never heard of them but what research I've done all looks good. Quality Japanese blanks, Fuji Alconite rings etc.
It'll be used mainly fishing the floating devon with 1-2oz leads, fixed spool or multiplier.
Here it is.
Sakura Bidaia Travel Spin 904XH 9ft 14-60g | eBay

Anyone got any knowledge of these rods?
Thanks

Rrrr

Reaction score
There seems to be an influx of japanese spinning rods at the moment due to dropshotting etc becoming popular, the japanese seem to be really big on lure fishing and also produce some really good lures which are worth a look but can be abit pricey.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Richardgw

Reaction score
I question if that rod is powerful enough for early season on the Avon. Early on spinning is usually only allowed when levels are above those considered unsuitable for fly and in these higher water conditions the main technique is the paternoster devon with anything up to two ounces of lead.

Later on in the year it should be OK but for early season I personally would look for something longer and stronger.

The flying Scotsman

Reaction score
I’ve not heard of Sakura but I’ve got an okuma spinning rod and it’s great. I’ve also got an okuma reel as well. It’s nearly an exact copy of my shimano 5500 and it’s great quality. It’s called the dead ringer :lol:
It is actually called that too :lol:

sneakypeter

Reaction score
You would be better off with a decent barbel rod, 11-12ft , around 1.75-2lb TC, probably have a much better playing action, also offer a bit more reach, to keep you off the edge of the bank, not only for safety, but the fish may well be tucked up very close in, and very spooky in the clearwater!!!!!
peter

cgaines10

Reaction score
Daiwa whisker - you just can’t fault them, tried and tested

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rrrr

Reaction score
Daiwa whisker - you just can’t fault them, tried and tested

Agreed, they just get the job done. I like my guideline lpxe spin and wouldnt change it but they didnt make many and stopped doing them for some reason and only bought it as it was half price and couldnt find a 4pce whisker at the time.

noeyedeer

Reaction score
Agreed, they just get the job done. I like my guideline lpxe spin and wouldnt change it but they didnt make many and stopped doing them for some reason and only bought it as it was half price and couldnt find a 4pce whisker at the time.

4pce 10ft whiskers are like hen's teeth - I spent ages trying to get one and when I did paid 2.5x what I paid for a 2pce 11ft'er

Can't fathom given the demand why Daiwa don't make an equivalent these days.

Rrrr

Reaction score
4pce 10ft whiskers are like hen's teeth - I spent ages trying to get one and when I did paid 2.5x what I paid for a 2pce 11ft'er

Can't fathom given the demand why Daiwa don't make an equivalent these days.
I looked for ages for a 9ft 4pce and just couldnt get my hands on one. Another rod that came near the whisker was the wychwood truespin, not as well finished as the daiwa but not far off in terms of performance.

cgaines10

Reaction score
I looked for ages for a 9ft 4pce and just couldnt get my hands on one. Another rod that came near the whisker was the wychwood truespin, not as well finished as the daiwa but not far off in terms of performance.

Yeah I heard good things about the true spin too.

I’ve just got the 2 piece whisker, having the 4 piece would make it easier for lugging around, but it’s worth putting up with it for its performance imo.

noeyedeer

Reaction score

I’ve just got the 2 piece whisker, having the 4 piece would make it easier for lugging around, but it’s worth putting up with it for its performance imo.

There are several 2 piece models with differing action depending which you get.
I have the Whisker Spin in 10-60g as 4pce 10ft and 2pce 11ft.
The 11ft has the edge in feeling of confidence /brute power and ultimate casting range, but the 10ft 4pce (WS1004HS) is more convenient and does alomst the same job!

Rrrr

Reaction score

I often take my spinning rod and leave it in the boot and grab the fly rod instead and 2pce rods are just slightly too long so have to go through the hole in the seat. I always worry about them being on show when fishing the tyne as it used to be bad for cars getting broken into

cgaines10

Reaction score
I often take my spinning rod and leave it in the boot and grab the fly rod instead and 2pce rods are just slightly too long so have to go through the hole in the seat. I always worry about them being on show when fishing the tyne as it used to be bad for cars getting broken into

Arghh really?! Yeah that’s no good at all mate.

Isisalar

Reaction score
You would be better off with a decent barbel rod, 11-12ft , around 1.75-2lb TC, probably have a much better playing action, also offer a bit more reach, to keep you off the edge of the bank, not only for safety, but the fish may well be tucked up very close in, and very spooky in the clearwater!!!!!
peter
Thanks Peter, one thing I'm not short of is a selection of Barbel/ Carp rods 11ft +. I do find them heavier than I would like to be holding all day, hence looking at 9 - 10ft rods.
From my short waggle and bend in the shop I could tell this was a seriously powerful bit of kit. Certainly powerful enough to land Salmon. Limited research shows that the gram weightings are generally thought of as being very conservative and the rods action is far heavier than the rating would normally suggest.
A shame that nobody who's actually used one has been on to give an opinion.
Going to have another waggle later.

Coneheads

Reaction score
9ft and 10ft rods are like toys unless fishing small rivers, but I never fish small rivers , I use 11ft for medium rivers & 12ft spin rods for large rivers , longer the rod the greater power distant casting .

Way back in the 1960's my uncle used a 5ft split cane spinning rod on small/medium rivers , 7ft was a long rod then ? many were solid fibre glass, and hollow glass rods came on the market around 1965 ? Milbro Ghillie rod being top of the range then, A guy called Anderson endorsed/advert, it in the Trout and Salmon magazine,
Recommend 2 piece rods to room 101, 3 piece spin piece rods up to 12 ft fit in most car boots.
Out of sight out of mind

Handel

Reaction score
If anyone comes up with a suggestion for a spinning rod for bank fishing on a big river please do say. As Coneheads says, my 9ft rod just feels inadequate for the job.

Rrrr

Reaction score
9ft and 10ft rods are like toys unless fishing small rivers, but I never fish small rivers , I use 11ft for medium rivers & 12ft spin rods for large rivers , longer the rod the greater power distant casting .

Way back in the 1960's my uncle used a 5ft split cane spinning rod on small/medium rivers , 7ft was a long rod then ? many were solid fibre glass, and hollow glass rods came on the market around 1965 ? Milbro Ghillie rod being top of the range then, A guy called Anderson endorsed/advert, it in the Trout and Salmon magazine,
Recommend 2 piece rods to room 101, 3 piece spin piece rods up to 12 ft fit in most car boots.
Out of sight out of mind
I use nothing but my 9ft even on the main tyne and it handles it well to be honest. Ive got 10 and 11ft rods but the 9 does the job and handles decent fish no problem. Its rare that ill fish the floating devon though and prefer the rapala in its place.

Wee Double

Reaction score
I have two Sakura rods, the Shukan Neo and Mazzerra. Brilliant rods and very light in the hand. If you spin a lot it's pretty easy going on the back than using the traditional 10ft+spinning rods.

I use the Mazzera on the Deveron, it's 8'6" and you can cast it with one hand. I've had salmon up to 12lb it's got some backbone for a wee rod. The Shukan is used for bass fishing, i've had a few 8lb plus fish.

Big water on the Tay however might command something with a bit more poke :D

Sakura are good rods for they money and would be ideal for small/medium rivers.

Cheers
WD

Isisalar

Reaction score
Well, I've done the deed and got it. On the case it's described as 'Extra heavy, reel lines 10-20lb', it's got a fairly soft tip and an immense amount of power down to the butt. Although they're not rated by test curve I asked the shop owner to estimate what it would be, 2-2 1/4lb was the answer.
Hopefully going out for a bit of casting practice today.
Researching the brand it seems it's very well thought of and previously the cheapest 4 piece was about £180. This is a new 2020 model so is a bit of a bargain at around £80. GAC stock the brand but not this model yet.
I'll report back after using a bit.

Isisalar

Reaction score
Well, tested it out this afternoon with 1,1 1/2 and 2 oz leads and it's a peach, dog's dangly bits etc.
1 1/2 oz was great, 1 oz was OK, 2oz could be cast across the Thames in flood with 6ft on.
For what I wanted :-
Light.
4 piece
Able to cast 1-2 oz
9-10ft
Good playing action
Quality product.
It looks like I'm satisfied.
I'm thinking Sakura is going to be a familiar name in the near future.
Loads of their lures and rods on the GAC website.
Well pleased and looking forward to bouncing some leads across the Avon.
If I can get away, family health problems notwithstanding, I have the opportunity for a 3lb Roach and a 20lb Salmon on the same day in the next few weeks. That would be an achievement.

Last edited:

sneakypeter

Reaction score
There are so many rods out there, many, from both ends of the price range are very capable pieces of kit, they are all probably sourced from the same Chinese factories, just given different fittings and labels. Enjoy your new toy, and good luck with your quest for the Holy Grail of braces, the roach might be slightly easier than the Salmon given the state of the river, but you never know!!!!!!!
peter

Isisalar

Reaction score
There are so many rods out there, many, from both ends of the price range are very capable pieces of kit, they are all probably sourced from the same Chinese factories, just given different fittings and labels. Enjoy your new toy, and good luck with your quest for the Holy Grail of braces, the roach might be slightly easier than the Salmon given the state of the river, but you never know!!!!!!!
peter
The Sakura blanks are Japanese, not that I've got anything against Chinese stuff.

Rrrr

Reaction score
Well, tested it out this afternoon with 1,1 1/2 and 2 oz leads and it's a peach, dog's dangly bits etc.
1 1/2 oz was great, 1 oz was OK, 2oz could be cast across the Thames in flood with 6ft on.
For what I wanted :-
Light.
4 piece
Able to cast 1-2 oz
9-10ft
Good playing action
Quality product.
It looks like I'm satisfied.
I'm thinking Sakura is going to be a familiar name in the near future.
Loads of their lures and rods on the GAC website.
Well pleased and looking forward to bouncing some leads across the Avon.
If I can get away, family health problems notwithstanding, I have the opportunity for a 3lb Roach and a 20lb Salmon on the same day in the next few weeks. That would be an achievement.
I wouldnt be suprised if they become more popular as the nomura rods and lure are getting that way. Ive found i get less hook pulls when moving to the lighter rod while still having the power in the butt section to deal with better fish.
Also i find its helped with the back ache from using lighter lures, my back still aches but usualy alot later in the day.