Sage

pond.olive

Reaction score
Several recent posts to the Spey Pages indicate that Sage is changing to direct to angler sales in 2016. I hope that this means that prices will fall!

Piker20

Reaction score
Wont devalue the brand, they'll simply keep the money they would have lost to dealerships.

Loxie

Reaction score
It will also give them full control of pricing and prevent discounting. They will have some issues with those who like to try before they buy.

paddymc

Reaction score
Wont devalue the brand, they'll simply keep the money they would have lost to dealerships.

Probably right.

Sign of the times. When things are tight the existence of the middlemen is always looked at.

Dryfly

Reaction score
As noted above. Try before you buy must surely be a big driver of their trade? Presumably they will do a no strings attached return unmarked policy for those who try after they buy?

I cant imagine not trying one first. I guess for expert casters it may not be such a problem, and they can adapt to different rods. But, I'm a **** when it comes to spey casting and find some suit my brand of twattdom better than others.

Whichever way it will be another testing time for tackle shops, especially if others follow suit...

Loxie

Reaction score
Presumably they will have some retail outlets? With the way the tackle trade has been for the last few years this will make some eyes water, unless they have a Russian backer with bottomless pockets of course.

Brad Burns

Banned
Reaction score
Presumably they will have some retail outlets? With the way the tackle trade has been for the last few years this will make some eyes water, unless they have a Russian backer with bottomless pockets of course.

I'd bet this is accurate. They will simply add direct sales through a website to the dealer network to what they already have. There is no substitute for the regular dealer channel.

Tyke

Reaction score
Probably launch the "Pro-guide" type of thing they have in the US; to an extent B & W have done that in the UK for years with gillies on many beats, particularly on the Spey, having demo rods ror visiting anglers to try - & to purchase as well in some cases.

It makes sense to do this as its OK trying the rod on a 20 meter by 3 meter casting pool with 6" of water in it, but a lot better to try it on the river whilst wading to the depth you need to fish it properly.

Regards, Tyke.

kgm

Reaction score
This contradicts what I heard from a very reliable source.

What I heard is that Sage have held the prices of rods static for the last 3 years but the wholesalers had applied additional charges to the retailers.

From 1st january 2016 Sage are increasing the price by 10%.

I'd still say Sage are very competitively priced relative to the direct competition.

MCXFisher

Reaction score
Sage Direct Selling

I had a chat at supper last night with Sage's UK wholesaler and sought clarification of this development. He informed me that direct sales will be restricted to the USA. Distribution in UK and Europe will continue unchanged via wholesaler and retailers.

Pollowick

Reaction score
I had a chat at supper last night with Sage's UK wholesaler and sought clarification of this development. He informed me that direct sales will be restricted to the USA. Distribution in UK and Europe will continue unchanged via wholesaler and retailers.

With all the additional mark-ups that these extras in the no-added-value-chain add to the price!

Having looked at the distribution chain in several areas comparing US and UK/Europe we have too many add-ons who do very little.