Sage X 1015

Neil W

Reaction score
Has anyone used the sage X 15 footer. I haven’t seen any reviews of this rod. I have the sage x 14ft 9 wt and I definitely prefer it to the one, in fact it’s a really really good rod. I like the sage one 15 ft rod so not sure if it’s worth upgrading

paddymc

Reaction score
Has anyone used the sage X 15 footer. I haven’t seen any reviews of this rod. I have the sage x 14ft 9 wt and I definitely prefer it to the one, in fact it’s a really really good rod. I like the sage one 15 ft rod so not sure if it’s worth upgrading

I think Jimmylong had this rod, might be worth a pm ?

jimmylong

Reaction score
I think Jimmylong had this rod, might be worth a pm ?

your correct paddy i owned one briefly , i had a brief cast of it on a medium river and was amazed at how far i could shoot line with a flick of the rod ,so i bought one , but when i fished with it on a big river it didnt like being forced at all , so not my kind of rod and moved it on

Neil W

Reaction score
I find the one a bit like that too. It suits me as I like to take things slower with the 15ft rods.

Findhorn Conehead

Reaction score
I find the one a bit like that too. It suits me as I like to take things slower with the 15ft rods.

Hi Neil,

I have the sage x 1015 and have owned the 15ft one as well. Personally I prefer the x over the one. I like the way that the lower half of the rod comes into play more with the x over the one. The tip section on the x is stiffer allowing more feeling in the cast as the lower sections flex.
I have seen previous comments about the x not able to cope when forced into long casts. I and my more than average caster friends have not found this to be the case. Everyone is different when it comes to casting, so I would suggest you get to try one if you can Neil. You are more than welcome to try mine if you find yourself in the Inverness Moray area.
I really liked the one but definitely prefer the x...

Cheers
Conehead

Neil W

Reaction score
Thanks Conehead.
That’s exactly what I found with the 14ft rod, it’s easy to cast and is actually fun to fish with. I will definitely try one and thank you for your offer

wetwader

Reaction score
your correct paddy i owned one briefly , i had a brief cast of it on a medium river and was amazed at how far i could shoot line with a flick of the rod ,so i bought one , but when i fished with it on a big river it didnt like being forced at all , so not my kind of rod and moved it on

Can’t agree more. In this department the 15’ X is worse than the One for my taste.
For my needs, a 15’ rod should be able to be forced into a wind for distance with heavy sinkers or when wading deep.
Also when concentration is not becoming better during a long days casting, a rod must take a little change in speed or force to save a bad cast.
It’s not at all a bad rod. Just not the right one for me and my needs.
I also didn’t like the higher swing weight in comparison to the 15’ rods I like to use.
Testing a rod and using it in different fishing situations can be very different and I for myself had to change my mind all too often.
I didn’t take the One but if I had to choose, already owning it, I would definitely stay with the One.

Findhorn Conehead

Reaction score
I can't disagree more with your thoughts on the X 15ft Wet wader. I found the the x to have more backbone than the one when pushing a line into the wind.
Of course we all have different casting techniques and abilities. I personally don't like rods that have to be beasted to get the best out of them, perhaps that's why I like rods like the X and the loop cross s1.

Conehead

wetwader

Reaction score
I can't disagree more with your thoughts on the X 15ft Wet wader. I found the the x to have more backbone than the one when pushing a line into the wind.
Of course we all have different casting techniques and abilities. I personally don't like rods that have to be beasted to get the best out of them, perhaps that's why I like rods like the X and the loop cross s1.

Conehead

Hi Conehead,
well, always interesting how different we are when it comes to rods, the individual prefered actions and the performance we want and need or simply are used to. And everything depending also on different fishing conditions and scenarios additional.
I guess we both like very different rods. I could´nt come together with the Cross S1 series at all, too soft and too deep for me, somehow undefined, not reacting on the point and direct enough to my input as I wanted. Not at all saying they are bad, but only to work out how different we look on a specific rod like the X. I wrote some more words about the S1 in another thread to the positive aspects. They just did´nt fit for me. I prefer faster, stiffer rods. That´s maybe why we look from a different point to the X.
Also talking about backbone of a rod, I guess the description of backbone can be very relative. I guess you used the S1 rods before you had your Sage X?
Backbone for me is in the lower part, up to the middle section. But compared to the One I found only the tip of the X stiffer, bringing the load earlier and deeper into the butt section. In rod action I would see the X as the other extreme compared to the Method (with it´s soft tip and stiff butt) and the One somewhere between.
But in no way I want to say it´s the only truth what I felt ! Too different are the situations we all try and test rods, with different lines, in different testing and fishing conditions.
Beside different personal views there can also be some individual differences in the rod manufacturing process with effect of different characteristics. I always take the weight of the rod sections in comparison and they can vary significantly (without any exception of the different labels).
Not to forget weakening of rods after use, what I experienced several times now (also without any exception in different labels), always buying a favorite rod twice as a backup. If you want, following the route "Start stiffer and get softer"...
Cheers

Neil W

Reaction score
I finally purchased this rod and used it last week on the River Dee with a Rio Scandi VT 10 wt. loved it. Great rod with plenty of feel and power and good fun to use. Very easy casting rod and I was easily getting 90 to 100ft casts. I know this because I also used the new Rio running line which has 10ft colour changes showing you how far you cast. Quite enlightening
I used a Hardy cascapaedia 10/11 as the reel which also balanced the rod very well. If you want a new 15ft rod the. I would definitely say take a look at this one or the 14ft which is also an excellent rod