SAGE Method 14 9wt

Geordieboy

Reaction score
Hi everyone, anybody got one of these? I'm considering a change from my Z-Axis to a method for my 14 rod.
Anybody fished with both or got any comments? My Z-axis is mint. Its only been fished with about 8 times.

Neil W

Reaction score
I fished with the sage method 14ft 9wt using a 9wt Rio Scandi VT. For my taste the rod was far too stiff and probably needed the 10wt.
I am a big sage fan. I have not used the Zaxis 14ft but did own the 12’9” 8wt which was an excellent rod. I found the sage TCX 14ft 9wt a good rod and I owned that rod for a while as well.
I guess it depends what you like as friends of mine really liked the method 14ft because it was very stiff and generated good line speed.

Geordieboy

Reaction score
I fished with the sage method 14ft 9wt using a 9wt Rio Scandi VT. For my taste the rod was far too stiff and probably needed the 10wt.
I am a big sage fan. I have not used the Zaxis 14ft but did own the 12’9” 8wt which was an excellent rod. I found the sage TCX 14ft 9wt a good rod and I owned that rod for a while as well.
I guess it depends what you like as friends of mine really liked the method 14ft because it was very stiff and generated good line speed.
To be brutally honest, I don't know what I like :LOL:. I have 3 sage rods now ready for the season ahead once I can get away, but as I only started fishing last year, I couldn't say what it is I like.
Certainly, the TCR trout rods I loved them, but a salmon rod needs a different type of casting stroke so I don't know.
I've just been selling off my GT4 Catapults (I loved them) as they were easy for a novice to cast.
I just have a raft of SAGE rods and for 20'odd years they have been so reliable and robust, I'm trying to build a collection for salmon fishing.

Grassy_Knollington

Reaction score
I have that rod. Respectfully I would disagree with Neil about it being stiff, I don’t think it is. It is very fast recovering though and it is definitely mid-tip flexing - down to about 1-1.5ft above the handle.

I’m going to take it out next week and see if my memory is playing tricks on me.

Neil W

Reaction score
Maybe it depends on the line you use And what rod You compare it to.
it’s all such a personal thing with so many variables that unless you try a rod you never really know.
like all sage rods it will be excellent quality and they are usually easy to sell on if yo7 don’t like a rod or fancy a new one
i have the sage X 14ft in the 8 and 9 and they are both excellent

Geordieboy

Reaction score
I have that rod. Respectfully I would disagree with Neil about it being stiff, I don’t think it is. It is very fast recovering though and it is definitely mid-tip flexing - down to about 1-1.5ft above the handle.

I’m going to take it out next week and see if my memory is playing tricks on me.
I'd like your update on that if possible? Cheers

Grassy_Knollington

Reaction score
Maybe it depends on the line you use And what rod You compare it to.
it’s all such a personal thing with so many variables that unless you try a rod you never really know.
like all sage rods it will be excellent quality and they are usually easy to sell on if yo7 don’t like a rod or fancy a new one
i have the sage X 14ft in the 8 and 9 and they are both excellent

Totally agree Neil.

rs2ford

Reaction score
I briefly cast a 14ft 9wt Method and never liked it. Fast and unforgiving, unlike the 14ft X which was very forgiving and easy casting. It was definitely suited a shorter stroke, though it did fly when you caught it right. A few top casters I know tried it and didn't like it at all.
The 15ft Method was completely different and a lovely rod to cast.
Cheers Diarmid.

The flying Scotsman

Reaction score
I briefly cast a 14ft 9wt Method and never liked it. Fast and unforgiving, unlike the 14ft X which was very forgiving and easy casting. It was definitely suited a shorter stroke, though it did fly when you caught it right. A few top casters I know tried it and didn't like it at all.
Cheers Diarmid.
I had the 15 and thought that was fast and unforgiving. I never got on with it as I'm not good enough at casting to get the best from it.

Neil W

Reaction score
It’s funny how we all have differing views of rods. I liked the TCX sage rods although many didn’t. Most people do seem to like the sage X so migh5 be worth a look

salmonaddict

Reaction score
Cheers Diarmid.
I found the TCX 15' and 14' the same. 14' definitely stiffer and timing had to be good whereas the 15' bent much further down and was much more user friendly, a fantastic rod and a real casting canon. They were very different from each other could have been from different manufacturers.

I bought a 14' Method though never got a chance to put a line though it as when it arrived there was a ding on the blank on the butt section so it immediately went back though comparing the 14' TCX and 14' Method side by side in the wiggle test the Method felt stiffer.

I still have a 11' 9" #7 TCX and really like it. Goes great with a 420 grain Rage and 10' poly's. I fished with a mates same spec Method for a day last last season and found the 420 too light. 450 grain Rage worked it better. Out of those 2 the TCX is a much nicer rod to use.

To the OP...if you're new to Speycasting then I would not recommend a 14' Method. Never cast a Z Axis but I believe they had more of a progressive action which may make them chalk and cheese.

Geordieboy

Reaction score
Would anyone here say that the newer X and Igniter rods are a better rod to cast and fish with?

Neil W

Reaction score
Would anyone here say that the newer X and Igniter rods are a better rod to cast and fish with?
It’s difficult to say if one rod is better than another. I have used the 15ft X which is a powerhouse but great to cast. The 14ft 9wt which is a lovely rod and the best sage 14ft 9wt I have used for my casting anyway. I also have the 14ft 8wt X which unfortunately I have yet to really try properly although it feels great with a wiggle test.
I have the igniter 8136 which I really like as well. The 14 ft 9wt igniter is also excellent and I have used one.
my problem with sage rods is that it’s increasingly likely that I have to travel to fish and so 6pc rods are very useful. The sage igniter 14ft is available as a 6pc but it’s very very expensive. I now get rods built for me which is a lovely process. I do still like my sage rods and there are some like the TCX switch rods and some of the previously mentioned I will hang on to and still use.

Grassy_Knollington

Reaction score
I'd like your update on that if possible? Cheers

So I got the Method out tonight for the first time in 4 years.

1. Waggle test. I remembered incorrectly, the rod flexes well down to the mid point and from there, it gets rapidly less flexible until 2-3 ft above the cork.

2. Casting. I only used the LTS 3D FHI @585 grains & 39ft, with a tapered flouro leader.

- Speed of recovery. Loading and recovery was very quick and there wasn’t much feel in the handle at this line weight. The road loads and unloads so quickly that I found that I had to be careful with my timing of the forward stroke and equally careful about making a smooth forward delivery. There isn’t much margin for error, especially when compared to the Meiser MKS I had with me - the polar opposite rod in many ways. Any pauses, bumps or mistakes and the Method doesn’t operate particularly well.

- Action The rod is very much mid-tip auctioned and the tip is definitely at the soft end. I’ve previously struggled lifting the LTS I24 sinking head, and I had to do a nice slow lift to get the FHI high enough up in the water column for a decent sweep and anchor set. In contrast, The strong tip on the Meiser helps me lift a Guideline I357 into a single Spey on the same water. This Method is not IMHO the rod for sinking shooting heads and a circle c of snap t may be needed more often than usual in order to get all of the line on the surface when setting the D-loop. As said elsewhere, I’ve previously used 600g Skagit and a >650g Bill Drury integrated short head multi tip, so it can handle sink tips, it just can’t dig them out without some help from a heavy head.

- Results. After about 45 mins I dialled in my timing and was very happy with single Spey, circle Spey and snake rolls. Casting off my weaker shoulder I got good distance with minimal effort and very tight loops into an unpleasant upstream wind. When my timing was right and the bottom hand strong, it really was a joy to cast, accurate and largely effortless.

Conclusion. I wonder if this model was specifically designed to take on, or mimic the Scott Radian 14ft - which was squarely targeted at the Scandi SH market? From memory the 14ft Method certainly felt different in action to the 12’6” I tried - which had leas strength in the mid section and flexed deeper, more easily. I see others note the same differences with the 15ft version - which is much more of an all rounder by all accounts. For the original price the 14ft Method is a bit of a one trick Pony and other rods will do more things well. On the other hand, if you want a floating line SH rod for med / large rivers, I would be surprised if there are many that are significantly better. I fish Meiser and B&W rods mainly. They all have different actions, but in general, they are fuller flexing and slower to recover. They are also all less demanding of timing and touch than the method is. On the other hand, I don’t think I can bullet out a SH in the same way with those rods and when you get it right, the Method is a bit of a cannon.

Im going to give it a go with the Gaelforce 54ft 9/10 Spey line and give it another shot with the Skagit too. A 600gn Rage would probably fly off it. It’s not an every day rod for me, and it’s more than I need for most of my fishing, but I enjoyed the few hours casting tonight and I’ll dig it out more often from now on.

Grassy_Knollington

Reaction score
Last night I tried the Gaelforce 54ft 9/10 Spey line.

Result. I was anticipating that this would be hard work, but, providing I got enough line in the top of the D loop it really cast very well.

Once again, I took some time to dial in my casting. In particular I needed to concentrate on pausing before the forward stroke and on getting enough line behind me into the loop.

After 45 mins or so I was able to consistently cast around 90ft (to the fly) and hit the stops on the reel every time. With some further adjustments I was banging out 100ft of line & leader outside the rod tip. Hardly competition winning casting, but definitely enough for me and that was only with 30-35ft of running line out of the tip.

Once again I found the Method rewards good timing and technique, not something I always have. There is clearly enough strength in the tip to throw around a 54ft head and it responds very quickly to changes in casting style. High stop = very tight loop, slightly lower stop - more open loop.

The Gaelforce 54ft ratings are accurate but I for me I think they are maybe slightly light for their length. The 9/10 is rated at 585 grains and I weighed it at 590. However, the LTS 3D line that works well on the 14ft Method is 585grains at only 39ft and I think I would maybe find a 54ft line easier to handle and load at around 650grains. I think I’m going to get either the 63ft Gaelforce, or (more likely) the far cheaper Airflo 51ft Spey line around 650grains to see if I’m right.

Conclusion. The Method is a strange rod, it is very very fast to load and recover and therefore very responsive, yet it also seems to respond to deep loading. I wouldn’t call it stiff, but I do see why people think that.

I didn’t really need it when I bought it, but got it at a good price. I stopped using it because a 9 weight as simply too much line for me on most rivers I fish. Now that I think I’m almost average caster I think I will give it a go more often. OMHO the rod is demanding of timing and it definitely rewards good technique. That can be a good thing. After 3 hours of flinging around the 54ft Spey line, when I switched back to the Meiser and a Guideline Compact 3D head at the end of last night, I was casting like a hero in a YouTube video. 😂.

Geordieboy

Reaction score
Last night I tried the Gaelforce 54ft 9/10 Spey line.

Result. I was anticipating that this would be hard work, but, providing I got enough line in the top of the D loop it really cast very well.

Once again, I took some time to dial in my casting. In particular I needed to concentrate on pausing before the forward stroke and on getting enough line behind me into the loop.

After 45 mins or so I was able to consistently cast around 90ft (to the fly) and hit the stops on the reel every time. With some further adjustments I was banging out 100ft of line & leader outside the rod tip. Hardly competition winning casting, but definitely enough for me and that was only with 30-35ft of running line out of the tip.

Once again I found the Method rewards good timing and technique, not something I always have. There is clearly enough strength in the tip to throw around a 54ft head and it responds very quickly to changes in casting style. High stop = very tight loop, slightly lower stop - more open loop.

The Gaelforce 54ft ratings are accurate but I for me I think they are maybe slightly light for their length. The 9/10 is rated at 585 grains and I weighed it at 590. However, the LTS 3D line that works well on the 14ft Method is 585grains at only 39ft and I think I would maybe find a 54ft line easier to handle and load at around 650grains. I think I’m going to get either the 63ft Gaelforce, or (more likely) the far cheaper Airflo 51ft Spey line around 650grains to see if I’m right.

Conclusion. The Method is a strange rod, it is very very fast to load and recover and therefore very responsive, yet it also seems to respond to deep loading. I wouldn’t call it stiff, but I do see why people think that.

I didn’t really need it when I bought it, but got it at a good price. I stopped using it because a 9 weight as simply too much line for me on most rivers I fish. Now that I think I’m almost average caster I think I will give it a go more often. OMHO the rod is demanding of timing and it definitely rewards good technique. That can be a good thing. After 3 hours of flinging around the 54ft Spey line, when I switched back to the Meiser and a Guideline Compact 3D head at the end of last night, I was casting like a hero in a YouTube video. 😂.
Thanks for the in depth review.
Ive bought the rod and the chapI8 bought the rid off threw in all his lines as well!!! He used it in Norway and all of his lines are 680gr, as this is what loads the rod deeper down.

It will be good to finally have a cast with it once we allowed out to travel.

Thanks again for your review.

Grassy_Knollington

Reaction score
Thanks for the in depth review.
Ive bought the rod and the chapI8 bought the rid off threw in all his lines as well!!! He used it in Norway and all of his lines are 680gr, as this is what loads the rod deeper down.

It will be good to finally have a cast with it once we allowed out to travel.

Thanks again for your review.

No problem! I enjoyed getting it out again. Hope you like the rod. What lines has your mate given you?

Geordieboy

Reaction score
I've an AFS F10/11, a Rio 3D F/H/I 10/11, a fast cast 680 grain Intermediate and a guideline Triple DF/S2/S4 673grain line.

All quite heavy, but he says the lighter lines dont load it.

Quite a setup, all in all.

Tarponfisher

Reaction score
I’ve been reading all this with interest! I have the Sage 14’ 9wt, which I bought to replace a 14’ TCX, and absolutely love it! I’ve used it for salmon in Norway, steelhead in British Columbia, with Scandi and Skagit lines and have found it a joy to cast. I would call myself a decent caster, no more, but haven’t experienced problems with having to get my timing exactly right. What I have found, as I have with all Sage rods I’ve bought, is that it casts better with a heavier line.