SAGE METHOD 11' 9" 7wt Switch - Which Line?

Geordieboy

Reaction score
Theres a nice hardy marksman switch on ebay at the moment that looks in good condition. Not me selling or anything to do with me, just noticed it the other day.

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk
Note to self; Stay off the whiskey while searching for Hardy rod!

Geordieboy

Reaction score
Hi everyone, back on the line conundrum, I have a RIO SCANDI Short 425grain and a 450grain Skagit.
Would either of these work on my newly acquired SAGE METHOD 7119-4?
Can I use my 10ft Versitips on it?

rs2ford

Reaction score
Hi everyone, back on the line conundrum, I have a RIO SCANDI Short 425grain and a 450grain Skagit.
Would either of these work on my newly acquired SAGE METHOD 7119-4?
Can I use my 10ft Versitips on it?
Not cast this rod but I would imagine the 7wt Rio SSVT would be a good match and skagits for 7wt rods normally in the 475/500gr range would work well. If your 450 is a Rio max short it might be fine but if its medium then might be a bit light.
Cheers Diarmid.

Geordieboy

Reaction score
Not cast this rod but I would imagine the 7wt Rio SSVT would be a good match and skagits for 7wt rods normally in the 475/500gr range would work well. If your 450 is a Rio max short it might be fine but if its medium then might be a bit light.
Cheers Diarmid.
Actually, what I have is a Rio Scandi short 425grain line, not an SSVT. If I add the tips, it weighs 500grains.

Bloody RIO has me heed done in!!!!

rs2ford

Reaction score
Actually, what I have is a Rio Scandi short 425grain line, not an SSVT. If I add the tips, it weighs 500grains.

Bloody RIO has me heed done in!!!!
I have a 11'9" 6wt rod that's more of a 6/7wt and i use a 420gr scandi short on that. The Sage can usually take the heavier end of the scale so I'm guessing your 420gr will be too light. I have the 11'9" 8wt Method and it takes a 510gr Scandi head.

Last edited:

Slaneysider

Reaction score
I have received a full refund from the seller.

Note self; (and anyone here who likes a dram)...... "STAY OF EBAY WHEN WHISKEY GLASS IN USE"!

Thanks to everyone on here for their help......as always.

Now I'm needing a Switch rod again! :ROFLMAO:
Wtf is wrong with people nowadays so many unscrupulous individuals out there trying to pull a fast one, Im after getting caught more times buying second hand rods and gear only to find it had been damaged in some way or another.
You were lucky Pal to get your money refunded, i think you are better off going for a new rod from a reputable source your not actually saving that much buying second hand unless it's bought for a song and you know and trust the original owner

French Salar

Reaction score
Hi everybody,
I've the SAGE Method 11'9 #6 and for that rod I use a shooting head from ZPEY of 23 gr with a polyleader of 8' or 5', it's perfect for me.
I think that a shooting head about 25 gr should be a good choice.
It's possible that RIO Products fly line selector could help you but often they recommend heaviers lines that I choose.

Have a good day everybody

ibm59

Reaction score
I had the #6 briefly , and it liked the Rio Switch Chucker.
Unfortunately , we didn’t see eye to eye and I moved the Method on pretty sharpish.

Geordieboy

Reaction score
Good Morning all,

So then, Airflo are selling the Scandi Compact off for £25. I sort of fancy this for normal fishing with 10ft poly's on the end. Do I buy the 450grain or the 480 grain.

I also fancy a RIO Skagit max short in 525grains for it as well from John Norris if the wind picks up and I want to fish a bit deeper.

Any thoughts on the above?

Barrio said they are still waiting on stock currently.

chriswjx

Reaction score
Good Morning all,

So then, Airflo are selling the Scandi Compact off for £25. I sort of fancy this for normal fishing with 10ft poly's on the end. Do I buy the 450grain or the 480 grain.

I also fancy a RIO Skagit max short in 525grains for it as well from John Norris if the wind picks up and I want to fish a bit deeper.

you could also try the maxcatch switch lines. just ordered a 6/7 and 7/8 for myself. The 7/8 comes in at 30g or roughly 460 grain.

I've just spooled it on, but thinking about it, its significantly overlining my shakey switch, so not sure when i'll be brave to give it even a test cast 😅

Only downside with the maxcatch switch line is that it seems like they've not stocked in on the 'Zon for quick delivery. So you'd have to wait a few weeks for it from China

Last edited:

rs2ford

Reaction score
Good Morning all,

Depends on your preference and technique as to the 450 or 480 grain. Sage rods can usually handle the upper end so 480 grain should be good on that rod.
On the Rio skagit Max I would be going for 450/475 short head at 20f or 500/525 medium head at 23ft.
Cheers Diarmid.

Last edited: