Sage Igniter

pond.olive

Reaction score
I fish a Sage TCX 7126 and a Sage Method 8126 on medium sized Atlantic salmon rivers in the uk. I greatly enjoy being in the river environment and speycasting though I am not often successful in catching. Do I need an Igniter?

Neil W

Reaction score
I guess it depends if you are keeping the older rods or not. If you are keeping them then maybe not although I am a sucker for new rods. As with all sages I find they are good with the recommendation in terms of line weight but also can handle one or even two sizes higher. I have used the Method 8126 when I borrowed it from a guide in Argentina. He said it was one of the best skagit rods he had used but not so good with a Scandi. So there are differences between models and I guess if you can try the 7126 igniter it’s the only way you can tell. I have the igniter 8136 and it’s a very nice rod with the Rio Scandi VT 9wt.
so if you can give it a go and see if you need one or not😀

Findhorn Conehead

Reaction score
I fish a Sage TCX 7126 and a Sage Method 8126 on medium sized Atlantic salmon rivers in the uk. I greatly enjoy being in the river environment and speycasting though I am not often successful in catching. Do I need an Igniter?
Are you going to fish the Forres association water at some point, if I'm not mistaken I met bumped into you in the Gordon pool. If it was you and you are planning another session on the Findhorn let me know and I can arrange for you to try some igniters.
FCH

pond.olive

Reaction score
FCH, I am afraid that I have not fished the Forres water for a couple of years, but I think we did meet. I like the Association water and have recommended it to several friends. I like Darnaway as well! And Glenkirk, on the right water. It is very kind of you to offer a rod trial and when I next come up, I will contact you.

Findhorn Conehead

Reaction score
FCH, I am afraid that I have not fished the Forres water for a couple of years, but I think we did meet. I like the Association water and have recommended it to several friends. I like Darnaway as well! And Glenkirk, on the right water. It is very kind of you to offer a rod trial and when I next come up, I will contact you.
If I remember correctly you were using a Rio short head spey line. It was indeed a few years back. Glad to assist.

Rennie

Reaction score
pond. olive, if you have brass that you absolutely have to loose, then walking past a Hand Bag Shop or Womens Shoe Shop whilst in the company of your Wife while you have your wallet visibly open in your hand will achieve much the same thing!, and like as not be every bit as useful.
In fact, you're more likely to catch Salmon after the later as the "Brownie Points" may well accrue sufficiently to allow you a trip with your existing kit that maybe wasn't planned.
Of course, one simply cant beat the acquisition of shiny new toys, but maybe converting your cash to some fishing at the right time/place could be just as productive?.
Tight lines, Pedro.

pond.olive

Reaction score
Not the 12’ 6” you don’t. See my review on J1W here.

In contrast I really liked the 13' 6".
Thanks for the review, Michael. I had not seen it, which reminds me to pay more attention to your excellent blog. My Method transmits it’s action very well, better than the TCX, though that is a good rod. It looks as if I had best not treat myself to a rod for Christmas, and wait until I’ve been able to get up to Forres again.

MCXFisher

Reaction score
I think it might have been better with a significantly heavier line, probably at least 34g. However, Sage thought the 27g SSVT was the right answer and supplied it on the reel, so I stuck with it.

paddymc

Reaction score
Not finding myself needing heavier lines for my igniters, although the 9140 goes nice with 38/39 grams and easily handles the gaelforce 54ft 10/11.
Out of interest FC, have you ever tried a 42g shooting head on the 14’er ?

I read that minitube found the 660 grain rage (almost 43g) loaded the 14’er perfectly for his tastes.

Findhorn Conehead

Reaction score
I think it might have been better with a significantly heavier line, probably at least 34g. However, Sage thought the 27g SSVT was the right answer and supplied it on the reel, so I stuck with it.
Would have thought that the 7 weight rio ssvt should have been the line to use on that rod or the 30g head...

Findhorn Conehead

Reaction score
Out of interest FC, have you ever tried a 42g shooting head on the 14’er ?

I read that minitube found the 660 grain rage (almost 43g) loaded the 14’er perfectly for his tastes.
I do have a 42g head but haven't put it through the 9140 yet. I'm currently enjoying the 39g gaelforce hover integrated shooting head on that rod and haven't really found the need to try the heavier head. I will give it a go when the season starts again out of interest.

Neil W

Reaction score
Rio Recommend a SSVT/SVT in 7 or 8 for that rod depending on how you like you rod lined.
I think that is the point. When using a straight up Scandi I am usually using the recommended line weight for my sages, so a 7wt on the 7126. But if I use the Rio Scandi VT then I go up a line wt. don’t ask me why as I have no idea 😀

Hardyreels

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Ah, a good exchange this one is!

I may get one this coming year, I've held off because I have a 13'6" One and a 14' X rod.

Funny though, I bought the X when they were the latest greatest but it sat a full year because I liked the One. Then got a proper Spey line for the X and the one has sat for 4 years. Not sure what to do if I liked the Igniter.

I've only sold a few old rods and hold unto my 1981 Hardy Salmon Fly Graphite as if it will some day be of terrific value but I think not. I use a Hardy Swift 11'6" a lot - a Guideline LPXe a lot - and the Sage X enough so I think I'd but the 12'6" Igniter for what reason I honestly don't know.

Of course you know I hope that should you decide to get one you should buy the Spectrum Max reel in proper size with the Chipotle accent to complete the ensemble I will do so if I get one. You may think I kid but they are seriously smooth reels and very well done finish wise.

MCXFisher

Reaction score
I have a Vision XO 12’ 8” #7 sitting waiting for testing, which probably won’t be before April when the season opens in Yorkshire. This is the old model which will be replaced by a Graphene version in the 2021 range - lighter but more expensive.