Sage igniter 9140

Neil W

Reaction score
Does any one have any experience with this rod. I like the 13’6” eight weight but I haven’t been able to try the 14ft rod 9wt. The old method 14ft I found far too stiff and ‘poker’ like but judging from my experience with the shorter rod it seems to be a much more pleasant rod to use.
Any information appreciated

D

Deleted member 21259

There is some stuff here about the rod from a highly respectable source.

Sage Igniter 14ft

WHOOPS disregard this as Mc Andy has already posted a link to it. Sorry

Last edited by a moderator:

Findhorn Conehead

Reaction score
Does any one have any experience with this rod. I like the 13’6” eight weight but I haven’t been able to try the 14ft rod 9wt. The old method 14ft I found far too stiff and ‘poker’ like but judging from my experience with the shorter rod it seems to be a much more pleasant rod to use.
Any information appreciated

Not a lot of info out there Neil on the igniters. Unfortunately I can't help you with the 14ft version, but the the two that I own are a joy to cast and fish with. I have the 13.6 and the 12.6 for a six weight. I'm swithering just now about getting a 14ft as I'm really enjoying the 2 that I have. I will let you know if I go ahead and will give you my thoughts on it. I would imagine it to be a faster recovery than your 14ft X, but still have plenty of flex and feel down the rod.
Conehead

Neil W

Reaction score
Thanks I have similar thoughts as you. How do you find the 6wt rod as that is also tempting for smaller river fishing?

Not a lot of info out there Neil on the igniters. Unfortunately I can't help you with the 14ft version, but the the two that I own are a joy to cast and fish with. I have the 13.6 and the 12.6 for a six weight. I'm swithering just now about getting a 14ft as I'm really enjoying the 2 that I have. I will let you know if I go ahead and will give you my thoughts on it. I would imagine it to be a faster recovery than your 14ft X, but still have plenty of flex and feel down the rod.
Conehead

Findhorn Conehead

Reaction score
Only got the six weight just before Christmas, so haven't been out with it much. Had a couple of casting sessions with it and really impressed with the way it casts and the feedback from the blank. Got a few more lines try it with. I will report back when the rod has had a few fish on it (could be a long wait the way things are on the fish front). Drop me a text Neil if you're up my way you will be more than welcome to try the rod for yourself.

Findhorn Conehead

Reaction score
Had a good casting session yesterday with the 14ft Sage igniter. Found it to feel more powerful than the x and the one in the 14ft 9# size. First line through the igniter was a 9/10 Carron original blue 65ft head. This line was spot on for me. I tried the same line in an 8/9, this being the line I preferred on my sage one 14ft, it was ok but the rod came alive with the heavier line. Next up was an uncut 44ft guideline triple D at 39g, this line really flew well, right to the end of my rio running line. Tried an afs 38g hover, another excellent match. My conclusion is that this is a powerful 14fter that has a fast recovery but flexes deep into the blank. I don't think you will be disappointed Neil.
Conehead

Neil W

Reaction score
****** I’ll have to get one now ?

QUOTE=Conehead;1180332]Had a good casting session yesterday with the 14ft Sage igniter. Found it to feel more powerful than the x and the one in the 14ft 9# size. First line through the igniter was a 9/10 Carron original blue 65ft head. This line was spot on for me. I tried the same line in an 8/9, this being the line I preferred on my sage one 14ft, it was ok but the rod came alive with the heavier line. Next up was an uncut 44ft guideline triple D at 39g, this line really flew well, right to the end of my rio running line. Tried an afs 38g hover, another excellent match. My conclusion is that this is a powerful 14fter that has a fast recovery but flexes deep into the blank. I don't think you will be disappointed Neil.
Conehead[/QUOTE]

Neil W

Reaction score
I am also in that place now and so far I have amazingly stuck to it. I have sold a 7wt sage so can justify the igniter. As I am going lighter with my rods generally I will probably move on my sage X 15ft which is a great rod but just won’t get used. I will replace that with another 7wt rod for my Autumn small river fishing trip so I have plenty of time to consider what rod will be suitable. One of the few rods I regret selling was the loop cross S1 6pc 12’ 7wt as it was a lovely little rod but so far my replacements have worked out

:lol: I have a rule that frequently seems to be ignored, something along the lines of no new rods until I sell one of my collection.

speers

Reaction score
Ive looked into the lines that cast well with this rod as promised Neil,
as said above the rod loads right down to the blank when you get into a nice rythem.
RIO SCANDI FLOATING HEAD 540 GRAIN 34FT SALMON/ORANGE
RIO SCANDI 3D - FLOAT / HOVER / INT HEAD 580 GRAIN / 39FT
RIO SKAGIT MAX GAMECHANGER 625GR F/H/I/S3
VISION ACE 38FT FLOAT TO CLEAR INT 38G

the game changer and the vision ace are superb as is the scandi head, the 3d rio I Couldnt get on with, it wasnt loading the rod for me.
Other lines ive triead are 42g afs, and guidline multi tip float and int multi tip , again heavier lines , the rod copes with well but i felt a bit overloading

Last edited:

Neil W

Reaction score
Thank you this helps a lot!

as said above the rod loads right down to the blank when you get into a nice rythem.

the game changer and the vision ace are superb as is the scandi head, the 3d rio I Couldnt get on with, it wasnt loading the rod for me.
Other lines ive triead are 42g afs, and guidline multi tip float and int multi tip , again heavier lines , the rod copes with well but i felt a bit overloading

Neil W

Reaction score
I have one of those vision ACE lines in 38g as the floating/intermediate tip sounds like it will work well. I have not used it yet and would be interested if and in what conditions you use the line?

Zamora

Reaction score
I have one of those vision ACE lines in 38g as the floating/intermediate tip sounds like it will work well. I have not used it yet and would be interested if and in what conditions you use the line?
I don’t have an Igniter (surely would like one though, money...), but I’ve got 38g Ace float to clear inter. I’ve used it with my Scott t3h 14’ #9 in the summer waters, when the water temperature is above +16c and the water level has dropped normal mid/late July conditions and the current is slow. Works well at least in northern Norway, Finland and Sweden.

Last edited:

crazyryan

Reaction score

Have you tried the Rio Scandi 3D 640gr for the Igniter 9140? I am looking to get this line for mine. Rio suggested 520~580gr Scandi for this rod I am wonder if the 640 is too heavy.......But you said the 580 wasn't loading so I guess heavier?

neilfly1

Reaction score
Have you tried the Rio Scandi 3D 640gr for the Igniter 9140? I am looking to get this line for mine. Rio suggested 520~580gr Scandi for this rod I am wonder if the 640 is too heavy.......But you said the 580 wasn't loading so I guess heavier?
I would say 640 is deffo to heavy for scandi head length on that rod, 37g guideline 3d is the best scandi head I have casted on it, unless u casting longer lines.
personally .... those Rio 3d scandi heads...🤮 I normally live Rio lines but that range... no thanks!
the 14ft 9wt igniter is fast yes, but really is not stiff at all, have casted the 33g guideline 3d on it too and while it feels light, it does go well! Don’t be tempted to over line to, there is no need at all! Part of its magic is its lovely tip ,very fast recovery and incredible feel, I think if you go as heavy as that for a scandi line you will loose all of its magic imho

Findhorn Conehead

Reaction score
I would say 640 is deffo to heavy for scandi head length on that rod, 37g guideline 3d is the best scandi head I have casted on it, unless u casting longer lines.
personally .... those Rio 3d scandi heads...🤮 I normally live Rio lines but that range... no thanks!
the 14ft 9wt igniter is fast yes, but really is not stiff at all, have casted the 33g guideline 3d on it too and while it feels light, it does go well! Don’t be tempted to over line to, there is no need at all! Part of its magic is its lovely tip ,very fast recovery and incredible feel, I think if you go as heavy as that for a scandi line you will loose all of its magic imho
Couldn't agree more about over lining that rod. 37/39g in scandi is more than enough.

rs2ford

Reaction score
I just bought a Guideline 3D+ F/H/I 9/10 37g to try on the Igniter 9140 along with an Airflo Scandi Compact 600gr. Just need the restrictions to relax to get a chance to try it.
Cheers Diarmid.