Sage Igniter 14ft

minitube

Reaction score
Had a great session casting a friends new Sage Igniter 14ft rod on Lough Conn today with a 54ft Gaelforce Spey line, and two shooting heads Airflo rage and Airflo Scandi.

A truly superb piece of kit. You couldn't fault it if you tried to.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

paddymc

Reaction score
Sounds great. How would you describe it’s action minitube ?

Wonder what the 15’er is like?

minitube

Reaction score
Sounds great. How would you describe it’s action minitube ?

Wonder what the 15’er is like?

Fast progressive. If that makes any sense to you. You can feel everything, loads deep but a fast recovery. Light and very powerful. I'd gladly buy one if I was able to afford it. The handle is superb, slim and not too short. Very high quality cork and rod finish. I really enjoyed using it and would not hesitate to recommend that rod to anyone. No idea yet what the 15 footer is like, look forward to trying it.

Neil W

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback. Sounds like a nice rod. I didn’t like the method 14’ which was too stiff for my taste. The old 14ft Sage TCX was excellent as is the Sage X 14ft which is my current choice so I hope to be able to test the igniter at some stage.
Sage rods are always finished very well in my experience so not surprised you find the same.

Hibernicus

Reaction score
Fast progressive. If that makes any sense to you. You can feel everything, loads deep but a fast recovery. Light and very powerful...would not hesitate to recommend that rod to anyone.

Robert,
What Scandi head-weight were you using? Maybe 540/35 ?
D

minitube

Reaction score
Robert,
What Scandi head-weight were you using? Maybe 540/35 ?
D
Hi Donal,

It was all Martin Parker's kit. The Spey line was correct, 54ft 9/10 Gaelforce, and the Rage too was spot on for the rod for my taste anyway. The head however was easily one size too light if not more as it was from a lighter rod and while it could be cast no problem was definitely not the optimum for the rod to me. I'll find out today for you what weight the Rage was.

Last edited:

minitube

Reaction score
Hi Donal,

It was a 540 grain 32ft Airflo Scandi, too light for that rod I consider though you can function with it. The Rage head was 660 grains and quite perfectly matched the rod, but is not to my taste as a casting line taper though it works fine. Would prefer the Scandi taper to the Rage taper. We also used a Skagit line since which was a Rio 650 grain Skagit max long. It was absolutely spot on and I really enjoyed casting that. The 54ft Spey line was in fact a 10/11 and not a 9/10 - sorry, my mistake - which is coming in at 646 grains. The rod handles that no problem at all. Perhaps a 9/10 54ft Gaelforce would be better, don't know yet.

Last edited:

Hibernicus

Reaction score
Thanks Robert,
Tempting stuff; looks like Scandi 600 would be about right.
It's not often you endorse a rod so wholeheartedly.
I see Sage also do a 13'6 #8 Igniter which is my preferred length and line these days (and might suit my bag of heads!).
Pat Nolan can be relied upon to give a good deal on Sage rods but the problem is justifying another rod!
D

minitube

Reaction score
It's not often you endorse a rod so wholeheartedly.
I see Sage also do a 13'6 #8 Igniter which is my preferred length and line these days (and might suit my bag of heads!).
Pat Nolan can be relied upon to give a good deal on Sage rods but the problem is justifying another rod!
D

I like a lot of rods, in fact ts harder to find a bad rod these days than good ones with all the modern Carbon technologies.

15 footers still my favourite D.H. rod size and with the deeper loading action. I like 13 footers too and absolutely love single hand rods.

Fortunately I get trying a lot of them in work, and I consider anglers have never had it so good as far as choice is concerned. However personally owning top of the range rods is outside of my financial capabilities. Otherwise I'd have quite a few of them, single and double hand, just for castings sake alone apart from fishing. Not a thing wrong with many of the entry level and budget ranges too.

Some truly great rods around these days. The handle on that igniter is particularly pleasing.

Last edited:

Neil W

Reaction score
As an update I managed to get a sage igniter 8136 and used it on the Dee with an airflo skagit compact intermediate 570gr.
I can confirm the same assessment as for the 14ft rod, very nice to cast and great fun. It could take more grain and maybe a 600 would suit others but I was happy with the line choice. Looking forward to trying a scandi on it later this year.
It does like a relatively heavy reel probably because of the light weight reel seat which suits me. I used the new Hardy HBX 10/11 (I won it in a competition) which is 12oz without line and it was an excellent match.
All in all a very nice rod and nicely fills a gap in my rod line up. Well that what I keep telling myself

paddymc

Reaction score
As an update I managed to get a sage igniter 8136 and used it on the Dee with an airflo skagit compact intermediate 570gr.
I can confirm the same assessment as for the 14ft rod, very nice to cast and great fun. It could take more grain and maybe a 600 would suit others but I was happy with the line choice. Looking forward to trying a scandi on it later this year.
It does like a relatively heavy reel probably because of the light weight reel seat which suits me. I used the new Hardy HBX 10/11 (I won it in a competition) which is 12oz without line and it was an excellent match.
All in all a very nice rod and nicely fills a gap in my rod line up. Well that what I keep telling myself

Great stuff, hope you enjoy your new rod.

Had a cast with the 15’er by any chance?

Neil W

Reaction score
I would love to try the 15ft rod but have the sage X 15ft and it’s excellent so hard to justify a 15ft igniter at the moment. The current sage rods I have tried are excellent so I have n9 doubt the 15ft igniter is a good rod

crazyryan

Reaction score
Had a great session casting a friends new Sage Igniter 14ft rod on Lough Conn today with a 54ft Gaelforce Spey line, and two shooting heads Airflo rage and Airflo Scandi.

A truly superb piece of kit. You couldn't fault it if you tried to.

Thanks for the review.

How heavy a reel (empty weight) did u find balancing the Igniter 9140?

bassfly

Reaction score
I had a two hour casting lesson in April with Jim Fearn on the Ribble at Mitton and was given use of the Sage 14ft Igniter set up with a floating Skandi line (Vision Ace). What a great piece of kit and according to Jim a very versatile rod with Spey lines and Skagit heads all working well. Unfortunately this rod is a bit out of my price range at over a grand but if I win the lottery..............
From Sage website.

Quick casting strokes
Lifting power for longer heads or heavy sink-tips
Casting for distance

The most demanding conditions require a different kind of tool. Strong head wind? Casting at distance? Long heads or Heavy sink-tips? The IGNITER is tuned to handle the most technical of conditions. Not a rod for the everyday angler, the IGNITER is equipped with an ultra-fast action high line speed taper to carry large amounts of line at distance with wind cutting performance. Perfect for long traditional or scandi lines and/ or winter Skagit heads with heavy sink tips and flies.

MCXFisher

Reaction score
If anyone can explain in simple English what the Sage sales guff really means, I’ll donate a tenner to a charity of their choice.

D

Deleted member 21259

If anyone can explain in simple English what the Sage sales guff really means, I’ll donate a tenner to a charity of their choice.

OK here goes: all of the stuff we said about the Z Axis, TCX, One, Accel, Method, X, etc, etc, etc, etc................. isn't really true. You should buy the Igniter instead cos it's all true about this rod. Honest it is, cross our fingers and hope to meet our maker.

I'd like my ten pounds to go to the home for retired Merseyside exotique dancers. Tell 'em it's from Big Vern and I'll see them again on Saturday night. Please provide the snake again.

Last edited by a moderator:

Findhorn Conehead

Reaction score
I don't know what it means, but I can tell you the rod is a very nice rod to cast with. Needs a heavy reel for me though.

Conehead

fishpond

Reaction score
LOL im sure it's fantastic but at anyone time sage have two rod ranges out one of which will be deeper loading one will be tippier and depending on what you like one might suit you - I've had the faster versions TCR, TCX, Method and they oscillate(!) slightly one way or the other so TCR was ripper than TCX whilst Method was closer to TCR at least in 15' format but one thing I have noticed is the finish is shockingly poor for a rod pushing towards a grand - im building a method 15 now for that reason

Tight lines

Richard

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Tapatalk

Neil W

Reaction score
I have quite a few sage rods and can’t say the finish is poor, quite the opposite. Sage have to produce new rods otherwise theirs sales decline and they would probably go out of business. There are differences between the ranges over the years. The X is very different from the one and the TCX was different from the method. Anyway I’m a tackle tart and love a new rod

D

Deleted member 21259

I have quite a few sage rods and can’t say the finish is poor, quite the opposite. Sage have to produce new rods otherwise theirs sales decline and they would probably go out of business. There are differences between the ranges over the years. The X is very different from the one and the TCX was different from the method. Anyway I’m a tackle tart and love a new rod

The one aspect of buying fly rods that nobody mentions much but it is really important is the pride of ownership factor. If you like Sage rods and have the money to buy them as and when you want them then fill your proverbial wading boots. A bit of a grim message but you really can't take it with you when you're gone :thumb:

Last edited by a moderator:

Tyke

Reaction score
Just in case you're wrong I've asked to be buried with my MAG 13, a balancing Danielsson and a box of MCX Dark shrimps.

Go the whole hog - have them laid across your' chest with your arms folded over them whilst in a Tweed boat engulfed in flames as you drift downstream from the Cauld at the top of Junction beat in a viking king's style funeral; you may slip below the waves somewhere in the hallowed pools of Hendersyde or Birgham Dub............

Regards, Tyke.