S2 / S3 Integrated Scandi Shooting Heads

Lew21

Reaction score
Hello All,

Looking for a S2 or S3 Scandi Shooting Head. I fish the Hampshire Avon early season, so it's never a long cast but from often awkward high banks and an integrated line helps to retrieve close into the bank, where the fish often lie.

Any recommendations much appreciated!

Very best, Lew

Richardgw

Reaction score
Nowadays it is mainly heads only for both sinking salmon scandi lines. Norris’s used to do their Atlantic integrated head in medium sink but they don’t seem to be available any more.

It is the same for multi tip lines although there are one or two exceptions notably the Rio Switch Chucker (skagit) and Vision Hybrid (scandi or skagit).

Don’t know how you will be casting but off the bank it could perhaps be overhead in which case a heavy trout rated WF sinker might do the job. Perhaps one of the new Pike lines which come in various densities and up to WF10 and in the case of Airflo not too expensive.

Lew21

Reaction score
Nowadays it is mainly heads only for both sinking salmon scandi lines. Norris’s used to do their Atlantic integrated head in medium sink but they don’t seem to be available any more.

It is the same for multi tip lines although there are one or two exceptions notably the Rio Switch Chucker (skagit) and Vision Hybrid (scandi or skagit).

Don’t know how you will be casting but off the bank it could perhaps be overhead in which case a heavy trout rated WF sinker might do the job. Perhaps one of the new Pike lines which come in various densities and up to WF10 and in the case of Airflo not too expensive.

Thank you, Richard. That's really helpful.

Have tended to use both overhead and spey casting, depending on the pool and drop to the river/backside veg, but have typically used Skagit lines the last couple of seasons so spey cast with a few fish to show for it. Wanted a deeper, slower swing, hence sinking scandi request.

Thanks again!

Lew

neilt

Reaction score
Scientific anglers deep water express.
Spey cast ok - but not long casts.
Will get down v quick.
I’d try the lightest first the 400 Grain.
Might be too fast sinking if you’re only after 2/3.

Lew21

Reaction score
Have you tried the FIST type skagit lines ?
Thank you, Squimp.

I haven't, but just checked them on YouTube. Look good and would definitely help slow the swing down from my current iFlight.

Thanks!

Lew

Lew21

Reaction score
Scientific anglers deep water express.
Spey cast ok - but not long casts.
Will get down v quick.
I’d try the lightest first the 400 Grain.
Might be too fast sinking if you’re only after 2/3.
Thanks Neil. I used something similar when I started on the Avon and it caught fish, but felt I was sometimes fishing below them when they were running hard. Would help if cut down!

Thank you!

neilt

Reaction score
Thanks Neil. I used something similar when I started on the Avon and it caught fish, but felt I was sometimes fishing below them when they were running hard. Would help if cut down!

Thank you!
Cut it down to suit Lew.
We use them on the Lower Tay. They are fine to cut down, or even join them up to suit bigger rivers.

Lew21

Reaction score
Cut it down to suit Lew.
We use them on the Lower Tay. They are fine to cut down, or even join them up to suit bigger rivers.
If it works on the Lower Tay, it must be a serious bit of kit!

Fair play to you, fished the middle river a couple of times from the bank and that was an eye opener!