Russia-Middle varzuga

jimthefish

Reaction score
Guess who has been tying for Russia:

Funny thing is it does not matter how many hundreds of flies I already have in various boxes, I love tying up specially for a trip. I think it helps to build up the whole anticipation bit.
A few hitch tubes to do and I am done although Roxtons latest report today is that the spring is very late with high, cold water. Plenty of fish around though and some big ones among them.

macd

Banned
Reaction score
looking good there jim,

what are the ones on the bottom right handside.

jimthefish

Reaction score
looking good there jim,

what are the ones on the bottom right handside.
Mediators. They were originally tied by the late Jean Luc Martine who lived for a good number of years at Pitlochry. He tied it specifically for the Tummel but it works anywhere salmon are to be found. It is particularly good on the Kola and is a bit more subtle than Allys etc. Jean Luc used to tie his jungle cock eyes on the underside of the fly using a theory that the salmon saw them better! I don't subscribe to that theory.
I believe the Tummel shrimp is something of a copy of Jean Luc's Mediator which was around long before it.

jimthefish

Reaction score
When are you out there Jim?
Sorry I should have said that I fly out this Friday and can hardly wait !!

MacD..... you will see a number of Park Shrimps in the armoury. I hope to catch the first Varzuga salmon on one (if not already done !)

salar76

Reaction score
Sorry I should have said that I fly out this Friday and can hardly wait !!

MacD..... you will see a number of Park Shrimps in the armoury. I hope to catch the first Varzuga salmon on one (if not already done !)
Fantastic! I hope you add another century to your name! Look forward to the report...

macd

Banned
Reaction score
Mediators. They were originally tied by the late Jean Luc Martine who lived for a good number of years at Pitlochry. He tied it specifically for the Tummel but it works anywhere salmon are to be found. It is particularly good on the Kola and is a bit more subtle than Allys etc. Jean Luc used to tie his jungle cock eyes on the underside of the fly using a theory that the salmon saw them better! I don't subscribe to that theory.
I believe the Tummel shrimp is something of a copy of Jean Luc's Mediator which was around long before it.
any chance of a close up and pattern- it looks very tempting Jim.

I noticed the Park Shrimps and look forward to a pic of one hanging out of the mouth of one of those Varguza fuishes;)

jimthefish

Reaction score
any chance of a close up and pattern- it looks very tempting Jim.

I noticed the Park Shrimps and look forward to a pic of one hanging out of the mouth of one of those Varguza fuishes;)
See following examples:

The Mediator is very similar to that other Tummel pattern the KatyD except that the orange hackle is palmered rather than wound, it has no black wing and the blue jay/ guinea fowl substitute is tied allround the head rather than as a beard.

TAG : oval silver
TAIL: mixed black, yellow and orange bucktail with a few strands of crystalflash( I prefer the greeny black stuff)
BODY: black floss ribbed with oval silver (also works well with oval gold tag/rib)
HACKLE: orange cock palmered followed by blue jay or sub. tied all round head
WING: none apart from jungle cock cheeks angled as a wing
HEAD: red

I prefer to tie the Mediator with a long sparse tail which flickers and gives the illusion of life in the water.
Hope this helps and MacD please feel free to move this post to the flytying section if you think more appropriate.

macd

Banned
Reaction score
that looks like a cracker jim- im really taken with it.

made me think of the thunder and lightning made shrimp style

thanks for sharing. if i can i will copy it into the shrimp section

Last edited:

jimthefish

Reaction score
Got back on Friday night from the Middle Varzuga. Very tired but happy.
I was astounded to arrive at the river and find 20ft ice walls along parts of the river bank making access difficult to some of the pools. This coupled with high, cold water meant that I couldn't wade some of my favourite places. Throw in really bad weather, nasty winds and freezing conditions at the start of the week and I thought I was in for a crap week. This was reinforced on day 2 when I landed only one salmon between the hours of 9am and 6pm the day only being saved by landing 12 from the home pools before breakfast and between 6pm and dinner at 8.30pm. water temp at this point was in the low to mid forties.

As the week went on however things got much better..... both the fishing and the weather. The water temp slowly rose to about 48F & the fish rose readily to my usual full floater and 5' slow sink polytip. The one day when we got a beautiful morning of hazy warm sunshine (day4 on the Tuesday) I had a fantastic personal best day landing 30 and losing others.

To cut a long story short, by the end of the week the party of 12 rods had landed over 500 salmon. The party included 4 very relaxed rods (trying to put that kindly) the lowest scorer of which had 15 for his week. I had a personal best week of 121 fish up to 15lbs. That involved a lot of hard fishing effort, including much deep wading and long casting so for anyone who gets the idea that it is easy, all I can say is "go and try it "
At the start of the week I had a few on longer versileaders but quickly changed to my usual 5' slowsink polytip fished off a Carron floater.

As to flies, I have just totalled up the following:

Flamethrower 60
Mediator 50
Park Shrimp 6
Kylie Shrimp 5

Best overall size was a 9 salar although I had a lot on a size 11 Mediator on gently gliding sections where the fish got a long time to look at the fly. Some of the other rods who were thirled to large tubes were amazed to see how small I was sometimes fishing. Size 7 also worked in heavy water as did the 0.75 Alu Park Shrimp early in the week.

THESE FISH PULL HARD

BEATIFULLY SHAPED FISH

EARLY IN THE WEEK YOU HAD TO LOOKOUT FOR FALLING LUMPS OF ICE

PREPARING TO LAND ON CLARKS CORNER

A GOOD ONE FROM EAST GENERATOR

PUTTING OUT A LONG LINE ON LOWER GENERATOR ON THE LAST MORNING

madkeen

Banned
Reaction score
JTF looks like you had an amazing week, would love to fish it one day;)
P.S What rod is that your using?

easky

Reaction score
sounds like a great week and by all accounts like in most fishing you get what you put into it ;). Hopefully one day I will be able to say hello to salmon ruskie :D

salar76

Reaction score
As usual, sounds like you had an awesome week there Jim! You must be seriously fit to be putting in those hours though - 8 hours of tundra walking and wading & I'm proper knackered (note to self: pre-Russia fitness regime needs to kick off SOON)!

macd

Banned
Reaction score
that is some trip jim- im green with envy

nice to see the PS making a scoring debut in russia

michaelmoyola

Banned
Reaction score
hold on a second, are you saying you caught 121 salmon in one week??!!!
im starting to save tomorrow!lol
that looks like some spot altogether, fairplay to you having a great week!

splash

Reaction score
Jim, the 121 Fish, ya stocky bashing bandit :eek::D Seriously though what a superb report and as you say shows what you can do fishing hard and with sustained effort, well done :)

jimthefish

Reaction score
Russia-Middle Varzuga....more pix

THE FISH AND PARTNER WAITING FOR THE HELICOPTER AT MURMANSK AIRPORT. FREE BAR.....LIFE COULD BE WORSE!!

ANOTHER ONE GOES FREE

ONE SAFELY IN THE NET FROM PEARTIHA

TURNS OUT TO BE ANOTHER BEAUTIFULLY SHAPED FISH

If I am beginning to bore you with tails of abundant fish then somebody please tell me and I will desist !

silversalar

Reaction score
Carry on Jim and keep the photos coming being offshore and not being able to fish is annoying so photos of other people having success just keeps me going

Greenalert

Reaction score
Graet report Jim, what a superb week you must have had

Scottyboy, that's where your mate has been hiding:):):)

Simmo

Reaction score
The chat must have been riveting that girl behind the bar has fallen asleep:D:D

Really though, that looks awesome. Would love to go there some day.

Keep the pics coming.

G