running line

Jockiescott

Reaction score
John Norris have got their own ridged running lines on sale at the minute for £8.99, I've just ordered one. I'm not going to cry at that price if I don't like it. Its got to be better than the lazar line to handle but it will be interesting to see how it shoots in comparison.
I do quite like the Rio Gripshooter I've got on another rod but they are bloody expensive to try if you don't like!

Just got one of the Norris 20lb running lines in the post this morning for my switch rod.

I haven't put it 9n the reel yet but for the money, it'll do my job.

Stewart4wd

Reaction score
Just got one of the Norris 20lb running lines in the post this morning for my switch rod.

I haven't put it 9n the reel yet but for the money, it'll do my job.
What head are you using it with? I got the 30lb versIon and I’m just wondering if it might be a tad heavy for my setup.

Stewart4wd

Reaction score
It's for my switch rod. Zpey heads between 16g and 20g.
Mines for a 350 grain /22g commando head. Maybe I’ll order a 20lb one too. It’s not breaking the bank at that price. Let me know how you get on with yours, I’d be interested to know your thoughts after using it.

Rennie

Reaction score
I use 20lb coated floating running line on my switch outfits. As I don't need above 15lb leader material on those rods its a perfectly viable option.
Currently using the Caimore Voodoo stuff.Loops could be a little better, but a few years in and no probs!.
Pedro.

Jockiescott

Reaction score
I use 20lb coated floating running line on my switch outfits. As I don't need above 15lb leader material on those rods its a perfectly viable option.
Currently using the Caimore Voodoo stuff.Loops could be a little better, but a few years in and no probs!.
Pedro.

I used the 20lb caimore running lines for years but the last one I had got very rough. That's nothing to do with the line just the amount of abuse it took from me over the years. Not good for any line when it's lying in coils on stone banks and almost 20 stone stands on it every second cast!!! ?

I still have a brand new 30lb caimore running line here for my double hander.

Night Hawk

Reaction score
If you like to use mono, just buy a spool of this: www.assouk.co.uk/Asso-products-Ultraflex-gruppo-fishing-line.shtml
60lbs 0.70mm is pretty much perfect and way better than most of the branded mono running lines. (y)

I’ve got this as well, pretty much same than Asso. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ultima-Powerflex-Power-Casting-Shockleader/dp/B01N9HTG9S
I've been following this thread with interest and ordered the Asso Ultraflex 60lb orange which arrived today. I must say that first impressions looks favourable and the line is very supple and could find it's way onto a few, if not all my reels / spools. Is there a special way to form the loops with this line or do you guys use the usual perfection or double surgeon's knot? Thanks in advance.
Regards
NH

Kype King

Reaction score
Like amnesia my self at around 50lb, may change it two three time’s in a season but as Zamora says just spoil more on and cut it off if it gets kinked , it costs owt and that would probably come to £100 if I used traditional running lines In a season which once your used to mono don’t shoot as far any way.
for best results though I will pre stretch off a gate post or something, which seems to make it work better.

Do you use a braided loop or a knot to link to the head? If a knot what do you use please?

DrPatrickT

Reaction score
For mono running lines I just do a double figure of 8, wetted and pulled own. I make sure the loop is long (ie. 15 -20 cm or so) so the affect of the 'looping' is easy to pull through the rod rings - and also helps if you need to pass the reel through for loop to loop. I'll also whip the tag end to make sure it doesn't catch on the eye