running line

salmonstu.

Reaction score
looking for a 30lb running line if anybody has anything going.........new or ex condition. Thanks

DrPatrickT

Reaction score
I'd just use memory free mono - example:

Or greased weasel - Amnesia is better. If it knots it doesn't kink badly but Greased weasel is slightly stiffer. But if you want a coated running line then airflo 30lb ridge is good - but honestly, once you've tried the memory free monos - you'll not want to fork out £30 plus for a coated line.

I guess one final point - if it's for anything 9/10 AFTM or above - i'd perhaps be looking at a 40 lb running line - most head systems have a break strain above 30 - so i wouldn't want to lose the whole lot if the running line is weaker than the head.

Cheers, Patrick

DrPatrickT

Reaction score
If you like to use mono, just buy a spool of this: www.assouk.co.uk/Asso-products-Ultraflex-gruppo-fishing-line.shtml
60lbs 0.70mm is pretty much perfect and way better than most of the branded mono running lines. (y)

I’ve got this as well, pretty much same than Asso. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ultima-Powerflex-Power-Casting-Shockleader/dp/B01N9HTG9S

Interesting Zamora - what are both of these like if you get a knot - do they kink or memory free. At 375 metres for 12 quid? - that's a lot or running line....It says they are soft - which is what I like about Amnesia. Cheers, Patrick

pfeul

Reaction score
The ultraflex is a great running Line. I prefer it over the opst Lazer and it's much cheaper.
It does not kink after a knot. It's very supple. It's a mono that feels like a coated running line.

Last edited:

simoncassidy

Reaction score

Zamora

Reaction score
Interesting Zamora - what are both of these like if you get a knot - do they kink or memory free. At 375 metres for 12 quid? - that's a lot or running line....It says they are soft - which is what I like about Amnesia. Cheers, Patrick
They aren’t too soft, really nice to handle at 0,7mm thick. And not too much of memory. But the best thing is, that if you manage to get a knot, just cut that part away. I’ve spooled about 60m of running line to my reels at the beginning of summer. If the running line gets bad, just cut 15-20m off and you have a good one still to go. And with that money, it doesn’t matter if you change the running line couple of times during the season. But that is not needed, relly well working stuff, I really haven’t got any knots or issues at all. Best lines I have used as a running line, I would say that even better than Sawada.

Mattytree

Reaction score
Like amnesia my self at around 50lb, may change it two three time’s in a season but as Zamora says just spoil more on and cut it off if it gets kinked , it costs owt and that would probably come to £100 if I used traditional running lines In a season which once your used to mono don’t shoot as far any way.
for best results though I will pre stretch off a gate post or something, which seems to make it work better.

pfeul

Reaction score
They aren’t too soft, really nice to handle at 0,7mm thick. And not too much of memory. But the best thing is, that if you manage to get a knot, just cut that part away. I’ve spooled about 60m of running line to my reels at the beginning of summer. If the running line gets bad, just cut 15-20m off and you have a good one still to go. And with that money, it doesn’t matter if you change the running line couple of times during the season. But that is not needed, relly well working stuff, I really haven’t got any knots or issues at all. Best lines I have used as a running line, I would say that even better than Sawada.
Agree with you. It's one of the best running line out there.
Another advantage is a very very low memory. I often don't even pre stretch it before fishing. And I've not suffered from any knot kink too.
Great cheap stuff

DrPatrickT

Reaction score
Interesting - I’ll have to try some. I already put on more running line than necessary as if it does kink it’ll most likely be close to the main handling points where the loops are managed - so yes - chop back.

anyway - yes - seems positive.

Zamora - how come you wouldn’t go down to eg 40 lb or less diameter - does it get ‘too thin’ and more likely to knot in the event of a poor cast? Or for example, not hold the head in flight?

Cheers, Patrick

Rrrr

Reaction score
I cant get away with mono running lines. Got a bit of loss of feeling in my right hand from old injuries so i struggle to feel it as i bring the running line in and ive missed takes as its slipped from under my finger.
Had the same issue with the rio coated running line so binned that and went back to the airflo ridged one as it seems to work for me.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

mc andy

Reaction score
I cant get away with mono running lines. Got a bit of loss of feeling in my right hand from old injuries so i struggle to feel it as i bring the running line in and ive missed takes as its slipped from under my finger.
Had the same issue with the rio coated running line so binned that and went back to the airflo ridged one as it seems to work for me.

I have my line over my index finger then under my middle finger for this reason. It easier to lock down if a fish takes. Can also help when casting as you say it fairly easy to slip on the lift or forward stroke.

Cheers andy

Rrrr

Reaction score
I have my line over my index finger then under my middle finger for this reason. It easier to lock down if a fish takes. Can also help when casting as you say it fairly easy to slip on the lift or forward stroke.

Cheers andy
Pretty much the same way that i do it.

pfeul

Reaction score
Interesting - I’ll have to try some. I already put on more running line than necessary as if it does kink it’ll most likely be close to the main handling points where the loops are managed - so yes - chop back.

anyway - yes - seems positive.

Zamora - how come you wouldn’t go down to eg 40 lb or less diameter - does it get ‘too thin’ and more likely to knot in the event of a poor cast? Or for example, not hold the head in flight?

Cheers, Patrick
The only issue with the asso ultraflex is that it is only available in orange coloured version for strength of at least 50 lbs. The lower strength version are transparent

For 40 lbs and less I use Berkley pro spec saltwater mono. It's also cheap and available in many colours and is almost as good as the ultraflex. Does not kink, supple and with very low memory
7 euros for 300 m

Not too thin and rather easy to handle

pfeul

Reaction score

Use self-amalgamating rubber tape to add some grip and avoid slippery.
Tesa or 3m products for instance.
This kind of tape does not contain any adhesive so the running line will not get glued and you won't feel it sticky.
Just wrap it over the handle where you hold the running line when casting or fishing.
It will grip the running line between your finger and the handle.
It's a real bonus on rainy days

Rennie

Reaction score
If you get kinks in your Amnesia (ooohhh, err, Matron!), don't cut it out right away.It can be brought back to it's original condition.
Simply run it all off into a bowlful/sinkful of nice warm(slightly less than hot!) water, leave for a while and then re- wind back on the reel.
Most times (unless you've been following a knitting pattern) it'll do the job just fine!.
Bear in mind Amnesia is memory free, give it chance and it'll return to original condition (as long as it dosen't forget that is,lol).
Pedro

Stewart4wd

Reaction score
Use self-amalgamating rubber tape to add some grip and avoid slippery.
Tesa or 3m products for instance.
This kind of tape does not contain any adhesive so the running line will not get glued and you won't feel it sticky.
Just wrap it over the handle where you hold the running line when casting or fishing.
It will grip the running line between your finger and the handle.
It's a real bonus on rainy days
I might try that Pfeul, I've got an OPST commando setup with a lazar line on my switch rod and I find it a real pain the ass to stop it slipping through my fingers when casting. I'm making as many duff casts as good casts because of it. I've tried all sorts of ways of wrapping it round my fingers.

Stewart4wd

Reaction score

John Norris have got their own ridged running lines on sale at the minute for £8.99, I've just ordered one. I'm not going to cry at that price if I don't like it. Its got to be better than the lazar line to handle but it will be interesting to see how it shoots in comparison.
I do quite like the Rio Gripshooter I've got on another rod but they are bloody expensive to try if you don't like!

Zamora

Reaction score

Cheers, Patrick
I remember trying 0.6mm but it felt bit too thin and thus was harder to handle. Othervise no problems with thinner one, but 0.7mm feel just perfect anyways.

Rrrr

Reaction score
John Norris have got their own ridged running lines on sale at the minute for £8.99, I've just ordered one. I'm not going to cry at that price if I don't like it. Its got to be better than the lazar line to handle but it will be interesting to see how it shoots in comparison.
I do quite like the Rio Gripshooter I've got on another rod but they are bloody expensive to try if you don't like!
They are the same as the airflo line just the loop at the front is orange rather than black. Ive had both.

Petekd

Reaction score
The only issue with the asso ultraflex is that it is only available in orange coloured version for strength of at least 50 lbs. The lower strength version are transparent

For 40 lbs and less I use Berkley pro spec saltwater mono. It's also cheap and available in many colours and is almost as good as the ultraflex. Does not kink, supple and with very low memory
7 euros for 300 m

Not too thin and rather easy to handle
50lb ASSO Ultraflex is definitely available in clear... it’s a lovely soft easy to manage option.C463AEE6-6E3C-415E-974A-C7696B2D61B3.jpeg

Petekd

Reaction score
My post was not clear enough. What I was trying to say is that it's a shame there is no orange version for strength of 40 lbs or less.
I'm no big fan of the clear version. Just a personal preference
Gotcha, that makes sense...😄