Running Line Repair

Rennie

Reaction score
Like a complete dork on this years Tweedy non fish catching fest, I knicked one of my running lines.It a Norris Airflo Ridged one.Now its nowt of an issue as its literally a few yards that needs binning.To date I've simply used a bit of braid,fold the running line back on itself slip the braid over and whip n Aquasure.
Just wondering will the Airflo weld in good fashion?,heard there's not a lot of material to weld properly and its prone to fail.Just got used to a neat n tidy loop again and fancied a nice neat welded loop.
An outside question,the new Norris running line is up for dirt cheapo at the mo,but it looks more of a mono type rather than coated running line?,any experience there?.
Pedro.

dexterbuchanan1

Reaction score
Like a complete dork on this years Tweedy non fish catching fest, I knicked one of my running lines.It a Norris Airflo Ridged one.Now its nowt of an issue as its literally a few yards that needs binning.To date I've simply used a bit of braid,fold the running line back on itself slip the braid over and whip n Aquasure.
Just wondering will the Airflo weld in good fashion?,heard there's not a lot of material to weld properly and its prone to fail.Just got used to a neat n tidy loop again and fancied a nice neat welded loop.
An outside question,the new Norris running line is up for dirt cheapo at the mo,but it looks more of a mono type rather than coated running line?,any experience there?.
Pedro.

If its the small front loop use a double walled braided loop pete!!

Sewinboy

Reaction score
Personally, I much prefer a salmon braided loop, whipped on with tying silk and then aquashured. An inch of whipping will give a very secure link, which gives me peace of mind that it's solid. I use this technique with all my cut down shooting heads. Of course you must have the materials and tools to accomplish this.

I have tried welding, but just don't trust it. It's broken far too often when tested. You could of course argue that I should improve my welding technique.

Sewinboy

Reaction score
If it's a mono core, it will never weld without severe reduction in strenth.

Rrrr

Reaction score
John norris do special running line braided loops to fit them with a bog loop to pass the head through aswel.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

inco

Reaction score
If its made by Airflo it is unlikely to be a mono core.I have not heard of Airflo making such a running line.

Last edited:

inco

Reaction score
I did have had a running break last year and lost my shooting head and a
12ft T stuff tip . It was a Loop Runner Running line 0.032" diameter. I had hooked the river bottom.It broke in the main length not at the loop which I had welded myself. The line was said to have a 25lb breaking strain braided core.
Now I will not use under 30lbs BS core.

pfeul

Reaction score
The airflo fly lines are the ones that can be welded easily, especially because they melt at low temperature, about 150°C. And the weld is reliable.

The best is to use a hair strengthener (best, with two or three temperature settings of between 180 to 250°C). You can find some cheap (about 10£) that work perfectly.
You can set the temperature quite low, it does not overweld, and it helps compressing the material. I've weld john norris running lines with braided core (which are made by airflo), and it was very easy to weld, while having a small loop.
Have also a look on the web site of troutcontrol.
http://www.troutcontrol.de/epages/61653601.sf/de_DE/?ObjectPath=/Shops/61653601/Categories/LOOPS

Cheers

Rennie

Reaction score
Just been trying to obtain clear shrink tube local to me this afternoon.Tried all the electrical factors,Maplins etc all with no joy.Rummaging the tinter web and found a major wholesale supplier and I'll be blowed not 1 mile from where I live and they've yards of the stuff!.Result,go get some tomorrow!
Pedro.

silver seeker

Reaction score
I always like to fit my own loops to running lines,I strip back the outer layer 3 or 4 inches to reveal the braided core then whip the braid back to form a loop,slide on some heat shrink tubing up past the whipped braided core and apply some aquasure and slide the heat shrink down over the whipped braided core and heat the heat shrink to finish it off.This method leaves a very slim loop and runs very smoothly through the rings of the rod

Attachments

• DSC_1466.jpg
    DSC_1466.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 237