Running line and polyleader compatibility

boomdocker

Reaction score
I have an Airflo Rage kit which was bought with a 640gr shooting head (set up for a #9/10 spey rod)
This is now surplus to requirements as I no longer need the big rod and have bought an 11' switch rod instead
My question is are running line and polyleaders weight rated like the shooting head. I am wondering can I keep the running line and polyleaders from the Rage kit and just use a new shooting head for the switch rod - it will be a much lighter shooting head - prob around 400gr
Or am I better just buying a whole new setup for the switch rod?

Rennie

Reaction score
boomdocker, the poly leaders should be able to be used on Salmon lines from 7 to 12+ no problem, trout sized/rated lines may well struggle to turn them over though.If you know the make of line you'll be buying advice can be given.
The running line should be ok, if its 30lb running line it might knock a bit off your ultimate distance, but the extra resistance should help improve turn over/presentation.For switch rod outfits I use 20lb coated running lines as I don't go over 15lb tippet on my switch rods.
I use Caimore Voodoo running lines at about £10 a pop, cheap enough from t'interweb!
If its a new switch rod, do the job right, flog the lot as it came, get more for it and put that brass to a matched running line, head, poly. outfit.
Why make do n mend, when you can have it dead reet!.
Best of luck, Pedro.

boomdocker

Reaction score
Rennie: thanks for the detailed reply and advice
I think you are right in that I should probably just flog the rage kit and start anew
As far as which line i;ll be buying - looking for integrated ideally - top of the list is Barrio 6/7 switch (although sold out), failing that maybe Snowbee prestige Switch or Airflo Switch - rod is rated for 25g line

FISHBOY1

Reaction score
Rennie see you use the voodoo running line on your switch rods i have airflow 7wt which one do you think would be ok cheers F1

Rennie

Reaction score
Fishboy1, if you don't go above 15lb leader you'll be fine with the Voodoo 20lb running line.It'll help give you distance, is much better for any F08 retrieve than mono (in my opinion!) and its cheap.
As by and large a 7wt switch rod won't need a heavy head, balancing that to a lighter running line seems a sensible thing to do!
Pedro.

Richardgw

Reaction score
I believe the Rage KIT comes with 12ft tips and not polyleaders. If so then they are almost certainly going to be too long and heavy for a Barrio Switch 6/7 or similar line.

Rrrr

Reaction score
Id go for a barrio switch as its integrated and makes life easier with a switch rod. That casts 5 foot polyleaders of all densitys easily. Itl cast 10 ft polys but not easy to cast.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Richardgw

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies
Just curious - are tips and polyleaders not the same thing?
No

Polyleaders are part of the leader and are polymer covered nylon monofilament with the polymer used having different sink rates

Tips are part of a multi tip fly line such as a Rio Scandi Versitip. They are built on braided cores exactly the same as a fly line and are much heavier than polyleaders.

Note that many anglers will use a polyleader in addition to the tip on scandi multi tip fly lines.

Last edited: