RTC Levy

Scierra

Reaction score
I fished a middle Tweed beat a couple of weeks ago , never seen a fin all day me or my mate ?
Chatting to the Ghillie at lunch he said the RTC have increased the levy per salmon form £75 to £140 , Inflation:eek:bit steep that is ?
and 7 seatrout = £140 1 salmon levy.
That will fetch a few more ££££££/s pounds into their coffers

Salad Dodger

Reaction score
The current RTC Levy is £140 per Salmon and has been for a while, but that is not what a beat pays. What a beat pays is based on the beats 5 year catch average, including Sea-Trout, and on an agreed budget that the RTC requires to operate, which is normally a percentage of the £140 per Salmon.

The Levy is reviewed every 5 years. The RTC budget is reviewed annually.

I don’t recall it being £75 during my beat ownership since 2009, but may have been previously.

It is 5 Sea-Trout equating to 1 Salmon regarding the Levy, not 7 Sea-Trout.

Hope this helps. 🎣

Last edited:

marty31

Reaction score
I fished a middle Tweed beat a couple of weeks ago , never seen a fin all day me or my mate ?
Chatting to the Ghillie at lunch he said the RTC have increased the levy per salmon form £75 to £140 , Inflation:eek:bit steep that is ?
and 7 seatrout = £140 1 salmon levy.
That will fetch a few more ££££££/s pounds into their coffers
Not if theres only a handful of the normal fish actually caught! I stopped listening to gillies years ago! Their main objective is to promote their own beat! And spur on the troops, when its hopeless

marty31

Reaction score
The current RTC Levy is £140 per Salmon and has been for a while, but that is not what a beat pays. What a beat pays is based on the beats 5 year catch average, including Sea-Trout, and on an agreed budget that the RTC requires to operate.

The Levy is reviewed every 5 years. The RTC budget is reviewed annually.

I don’t recall it being £75 during my beat ownership since 2009, but may have been previously.

It is 5 Sea-Trout equating to 1 Salmon regarding the Levy, not 7 Sea-Trout.

Hope this helps. 🎣
I can confirm it has been that cost for a canny few years now! Gillies have a habit of picking the financial aspects up wrong! But this levy is as you say based on the 5yr av but it still works out per fish recorded, just depressing my self thinking! Last season we had one member who caught 41 salmon to his rod? The annual membership was £675 it dosnt need a maths degree to work this one out, yet people on a daily baisis ( on this forum) complain about "greedy owners" " expensive fishing" etc Mmm thank the gods i have other business that actually make some money! To subsidise this loss making black hole of a money pitt joke 🤣

Salad Dodger

Reaction score
I can confirm it has been that cost for a canny few years now! Gillies have a habit of picking the financial aspects up wrong! But this levy is as you say based on the 5yr av but it still works out per fish recorded, just depressing my self thinking! Last season we had one member who caught 41 salmon to his rod? The annual membership was £675 it dosnt need a maths degree to work this one out, yet people on a daily baisis ( on this forum) complain about "greedy owners" " expensive fishing" etc Mmm thank the gods i have other business that actually make some money! To subsidise this loss making black hole of a money pitt joke 🤣
Thankfully using a 5 year average helps smoothing out the peeks and troughs to a certain degree and we only pay a percentage of the £140 depending on what the RTC budget requires.

Some forum members think Range Rovers and Tweed Breeks pay for themselves 🤣🤣🤣

Likewise, if it wasn’t for other forms of income, I’d be busking.

(Disclaimer, I own neither a Range Rover or Tweed Breeks)