Rods for kids

stephenfranks

Reaction score
Wonder if anybody can help? I wanted to get into fly fishing few years back but kids got in the way. Now the children want to fish!

I like travel and would like to use it as an opportunity to get out and about in Europe/Scandinavia etc and camp.

My kids are 2 (not going to fish lol) 4 and 10 all boys. The 4 year old is nearly 5 and super on it, so he could manage. 10 year old easy peasy.

It would be nice to get some starter kit don't mind used. Interested in trout/sea trout/salmon & arctic char.

Would appreciate some rod, reel line and fly suggestions. I am not expecting a 4 year old to spey cast, but amuse himself whilst I fish and maybe if super luck catch something. Boys all quite tall.

We have a day camper and tent, want to get out there this summer!

chriswjx

Reaction score
How much are you looking to spend on them? shakespeare switch rods might be a good idea, and you get them for around £70 from John Norris if you call them (as they're currently waiting stock so its not on their website) or if you wait for a weekend or two (and subscribe to their email offers thing) they'll probably send out another 20% discount code.

stephenfranks

Reaction score
I don't have a budget in mind, suppose value and quality important so would consider used.

Good tip I will check out the Shakespeare.

Any reel recommendations?

chriswjx

Reaction score
I would scout ebay. I'm just a starter so I've managed to keep my costs down by getting some Youngs 1530s and 1540s which are still cracking reels, but if you're patient, can be scored for £30 or less.

Isisalar

Reaction score
Airflow do very good kits from time to time, often sold at John Norris, might be worth looking elsewhere. Haven't seen them advertised lately.
I'd be looking at Maxcatch, direct from China, if you're ok with that, really cheap starter rods and very inexpensive lines and reels, they do do kits too. Also a 20% discount code, was stock20.
Decent stuff, better than you'd expect for the price.

Rrrr

Reaction score
The maxcatch single handed spey looks decent for the money.

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

firefly

Reaction score
I'd go with a fly and spinning set. Should they lose interest in one technique, they can always try another one. It's hard enough for grown anglers to catch a fish on the fly, the purpose should be that their chances are bigger than yours, if you want them to gain confidence and persevere. Nothing worse for a kid than seeing another one catch while they blank, believe me.

chrishconnolly

Reaction score
You may need to cut your species of interest.
Salmon and the bigger sea trout one kit.
Trout and chat another kit.
Shakespeare airflo and daiwa all do decent kits.
I'm a qualified angling coach and have used all three kits and they are all good value for money and decent quality.
Invest in a couple of neoprene rod bands or a proper angling wrist band
They are invaluable and will pay for themselves in no time.
Any help picking a kit just give me a shout.

Stewart4wd

Reaction score
Bought a new starter kit for my little one today. What do you think?

Attachments

• BCB54693-1E3A-432F-8779-0FD7774BBAD4.jpeg
    BCB54693-1E3A-432F-8779-0FD7774BBAD4.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 29

Nigel Passmore

Reaction score
I don't have a budget in mind, suppose value and quality important so would consider used.

Good tip I will check out the Shakespeare.

Any reel recommendations?
The new Sportfish Catalogue came in the post today. A few pages in there are two pages dedicated to starter kits some especially for children. There are kits from Greys, Snowbee, Reddington, Orvis and Shakespeare and prices from about £50 - 200.

Much as I feel it is an abuse of piscatorial English if you put 'Rod and Reel Combo' in the search facility it will bring them all up. I'm sure all of the above kit will be available from other retaillers.

I hope you find something your kids like.

Regards

NHP

Safranfoer

Reaction score
A combination of the Shakespeare Switch mentioned upthread and a small spinning set up between them satisfied my boy's itches for enjoying the process of learning to spey cast, and actually catching fish. He HAS caught a trout on the fly, in a stocked lake. But he does his 'catching fish' fishing with his spinning rod.