Rodent eating trout!

Dannyjbg

Reaction score
Hi all,
I caught a brownie at a nearby tarn in the Lake district today (14 inches). One thing that stuck out to me was that the fish had a pretty good belly on it - upon opening up the stomach i realised why... There was a semi digested mouse inside!
Has anyone else come across this? I've heard of the monsters in NewZealand doing it but not larl brownies in the lakes!
Im not sure i fancy eating it now after seeing that, I might give it to a 'friend'.

Hoolet

Reaction score
We fished a hill loch near Aberfeldy and my Dad fishing about a hundred yards further along the bank caught a nice trout around a pound, I saw him get his priest out then heard a right girly scream then a shout to come see....same as your fish, thought it’d eaten a mouse , it was actually a wee water vole so I suspect it would have been a vile your trout took too
Being opportunistic I’d suspect trout take them any chance they get....it’s a decent mouthful

hoolet

Stuart1108

Reaction score
Hi all,
I caught a brownie at a nearby tarn in the Lake district today (14 inches). One thing that stuck out to me was that the fish had a pretty good belly on it - upon opening up the stomach i realised why... There was a semi digested mouse inside!
Has anyone else come across this? I've heard of the monsters in NewZealand doing it but not larl brownies in the lakes!
Im not sure i fancy eating it now after seeing that, I might give it to a 'friend'.
My grandad has found salmon and trout with mouse in them its not uncommon ive never seen it tho he also caught a salmon years ago on orange peelings which is interesting lol

Dannyjbg

Reaction score
My grandad has found salmon and trout with mouse in them its not uncommon ive never seen it tho he also caught a salmon years ago on orange peelings which is interesting lol
very strange! should have asked everyone whats the strangest things theyve found inside a fish!

Dannyjbg

Reaction score
We fished a hill loch near Aberfeldy and my Dad fishing about a hundred yards further along the bank caught a nice trout around a pound, I saw him get his priest out then heard a right girly scream then a shout to come see....same as your fish, thought it’d eaten a mouse , it was actually a wee water vole so I suspect it would have been a vile your trout took too
Being opportunistic I’d suspect trout take them any chance they get....it’s a decent mouthful

hoolet
i like to think i have quite a strong stomach but it has definitely made me feel a bit queasy! not sure about a girly scream though

happy days

Reaction score
In Russia a few years ago one of our group killed a large sea trout to cook for lunch inside was a lemming in perfect condition, in fact I think it could have been revived

AlanT

Reaction score
Yep , my pal caught a trout on the River Yarrow in the Scottish Borders with two mice in its stomach. The trout was the best part of 4lb

Pompero

Reaction score
Use mouse imitations myself from time to time, very funny and attracts big fish. This is how it looks like in practice (from 20:00):

SteveG

Reaction score
I’ve caught carp on jelly babies before and seen a pike take a duck 👍

wilkinson shrimp

Reaction score
caught a trout in a loch in lochgilphead with a half swallowed mouse in it ,caught a trout with frogs in their stomachs as well

nickolas

Reaction score
One of my best days rainbow fishing in Alaska was with a mouse pattern, was lucky and managed a couple at 30inch.
8 years ago my company was working on a large house on the upper Test. During a lunch break I took a stroll along the Test, this would have been about Jan /feb, looking down in the water I could see a 4/5lb brown trout trying to swallow a toad, the toad wasn’t having any of it, this I watch for about 10 minute, the trout eventually swam of with the toad stuck in its jaws with 2 legs hanging out of each side of its jaw.

SteveG

Reaction score
One of my best days rainbow fishing in Alaska was with a mouse pattern, was lucky and managed a couple at 30inch.
8 years ago my company was working on a large house on the upper Test. During a lunch break I took a stroll along the Test, this would have been about Jan /feb, looking down in the water I could see a 4/5lb brown trout trying to swallow a toad, the toad wasn’t having any of it, this I watch for about 10 minute, the trout eventually swam of with the toad stuck in its jaws with 2 legs hanging out of each side of its jaw.
Can’t wait to see TOTM - Toad or Mouse pattern 👍🤞🏻

SalmoNewf

Reaction score
Can’t wait to see TOTM - Toad or Mouse pattern 👍🤞🏻
Here you go.... Pretty commonly used for big Brook Trout in Labrador.
1614181708135.jpeg

SalmoNewf

Reaction score
I forgot to mention in my previous post, but many years ago in Labrador I was cleaning a roughly 5 lb. Brook Trout and found a duckling in the gut.

SteveG

Reaction score
I forgot to mention in my previous post, but many years ago in Labrador I was cleaning a roughly 5 lb. Brook Trout and found a duckling in the gut.
Sounds good to me starter and main in one catch 👍