Rodent eating trout!

Dannyjbg

Reaction score
Hi all,
I caught a brownie at a nearby tarn in the Lake district today (14 inches). One thing that stuck out to me was that the fish had a pretty good belly on it - upon opening up the stomach i realised why... There was a semi digested mouse inside!
Has anyone else come across this? I've heard of the monsters in NewZealand doing it but not larl brownies in the lakes!
Im not sure i fancy eating it now after seeing that, I might give it to a 'friend'.

Hoolet

Reaction score
We fished a hill loch near Aberfeldy and my Dad fishing about a hundred yards further along the bank caught a nice trout around a pound, I saw him get his priest out then heard a right girly scream then a shout to come see....same as your fish, thought it’d eaten a mouse , it was actually a wee water vole so I suspect it would have been a vile your trout took too
Being opportunistic I’d suspect trout take them any chance they get....it’s a decent mouthful

hoolet

Stuart1108

Reaction score
Hi all,
I caught a brownie at a nearby tarn in the Lake district today (14 inches). One thing that stuck out to me was that the fish had a pretty good belly on it - upon opening up the stomach i realised why... There was a semi digested mouse inside!
Has anyone else come across this? I've heard of the monsters in NewZealand doing it but not larl brownies in the lakes!
Im not sure i fancy eating it now after seeing that, I might give it to a 'friend'.
My grandad has found salmon and trout with mouse in them its not uncommon ive never seen it tho he also caught a salmon years ago on orange peelings which is interesting lol

Dannyjbg

Reaction score
My grandad has found salmon and trout with mouse in them its not uncommon ive never seen it tho he also caught a salmon years ago on orange peelings which is interesting lol
very strange! should have asked everyone whats the strangest things theyve found inside a fish!

Dannyjbg

Reaction score
We fished a hill loch near Aberfeldy and my Dad fishing about a hundred yards further along the bank caught a nice trout around a pound, I saw him get his priest out then heard a right girly scream then a shout to come see....same as your fish, thought it’d eaten a mouse , it was actually a wee water vole so I suspect it would have been a vile your trout took too
Being opportunistic I’d suspect trout take them any chance they get....it’s a decent mouthful

hoolet
i like to think i have quite a strong stomach but it has definitely made me feel a bit queasy! not sure about a girly scream though

Handel

Reaction score
The original surface lure for sea trout fishing was called a mouse. You had to cast it to the far bank and land it with a splash to replicate a mouse falling in the river.

happy days

Reaction score
In Russia a few years ago one of our group killed a large sea trout to cook for lunch inside was a lemming in perfect condition, in fact I think it could have been revived